Thanks! It's the contrast somewhat and the fancier exhausts are Warplock Bronze instead of Leadbelcher so there's some difference too. I was going to use gold but thought that there was enough gold on the model with all the trim :smile.:

I'll be taking my 1500pts to battle on Sunday, so there will be pictures for the batrep and I'll try and remember to take a group shot before or after the battle :thumbsup:

I considered some blood, on the tentacles too but I thought I'd wait and see how I feel with the completed model after a bit :smile.:

The water effect has set nicely, though the colour change on the base is now gone it has turned out great as there's a few bubbles so it looks like tar or oil :biggrin.:

I'll be getting a Heldrake at some point, probably as a "treat" like the shrimp :smile.: I'd like to get another Maulerfiend, but that would need to be a more extensive project as I try my hand at converting the model so it looks different (good as it is, it's quite a distinctive pose). For now my focus should be on more infantry I think, maybe move the Havocs up for some much needed long range fire power.

Anyway, the exhaust stacks are quite straight forward: Leadbelcher on the normal stacks, Warplock Bronze on the fancy ones. Then black wash, followed by an Agrax wash. Gives it quite a dark metallic finish which I also like :smile.:

Maulerfiend looks ace WarriorFish! :tu:

Base turned out nicely, though it has almost killed my Astrogranite pot! Overall I think the model really came together so I'm very happy with how it turned out :biggrin.: Water effect is still setting and seems to have made some funny colours on the base but that helps give it some definition so works (don't ask me to do it again though?).

So, I'm not sure if you've heard this, but I figured out a decent enough way to make Astrogranite go much further than you'd think with the size of the pot.

But if you mix modelling sand and astrogranite, it blends together very well. And by "mixing" I don't mean "add sand into pot of astrogranite" :lol: What I mean is: Cover most of the base in sand, then put astrogranite in certain areas.

When it's then primed and painted the same colour, it all looks fairly similar to each other, but adds the nice texture. Plus, it doesn't use up all of your astrogranite :lol:

Thanks Gederas :thumbsup: That's an idea but I'm using the Astrogranite partly so I don't have to paint the base :tongue.: Plus this was an old small pot I had already opened so doesn't go as far. I add the Debris version to help diversify larger bases and spread the use out plus the odd water feature :smile.:

I've got quite a few Heavy Bolters from the excellent Horus Heresy box sets and nabbed some autocannons from Forge World so they'll be my builds. I've got the bolter Marines already so I just need 3 of each weapon and an extra Champion and I'll have my two squads :D Aside from looks I'm trying to keep unit costs down, but with the limited long range shooting I have it may be something to revisit later.

I'm looking forward to seeing those havocs. I've been wondering if I should just make several of each heavy weapon as I can use them in various configurations as havocs and sprinkle them into basic squads if needed. I had been running missile launcher squads but my favor has fallen back to lascannons.

Missile Rocket Launchers are a little lacklustre I feel, they could do with either a drop in points or a free flakk missile - just something to make them less the poor man's Lascannon :confused: I have some spare bits for them though, so I might build a couple for variety and a bit extra hitting power in lieu of Lascannon parts.

I agree. Not a great fan of Missile Launchers. Especially not when we have the direct comparison with Blastmaster on Noise Marines (bummer we can't play Blastmaster Havocs .... yet).

I had liked them for a multi-tool. I can aim at tanks and put a dent in them and if there was an infantry target I could take out quite a few too. But the cost and lack of flakk type missiles made me rethink them. I have infantry to fight infantry so these guys need to focus on killing tanks.

Reading replies and posts from sfPanzer actually got me into that mindset. I still like my missile launchers but they have taken a back seat.

If the performance of the 4 ML BL Havoc squad yesterday was anything to go by... less the back seat more the boot :confused: I was busy fighting those pesky Dark Angels again though giving the Maulershrimp its first game!

1000pts vs Dark Angels

Capture the centre Nah let's just kill everything

Deployment was fairly straight forward, I started with the heavies squad which lead to my opponent counter deploying but this was neatly corrected when I stole the initiative...

gallery_30308_10077_5251.jpg

I waste no time scurrying up the table. The DP slingshots a CSM squad with Warp Time and they both get into combat handily, though everyone else fails. The Prince naturally accounts for a lot, the CSM tries to take out the characters inflicting two wounds on the Lieutenant and one on the Librarian. Some fairly solid shooting on the way in reduces the other Tac squad so the DA are looking light on troopers.

gallery_30308_10077_22985.jpg

The DA wisely decide to focus on the CSM and inflict a fair few casualties, pulling away from the Prince in doing so. This saves the Tac squad, but does free the Prince up to go hunting... The DA focus on shooting and reduce the other CSM squad quite badly. The Vindicator whiffs badly (never rolls more than one shot all game!) and the Vindicare takes two from the Sorcerer. I manage to roll a six for the forward CSM squad twice for morale even after a re-roll further reducing them but their job is mostly done.

gallery_30308_10077_54513.jpg

As planned the DP leaps up to meet the advancing Shrimp, and the aura lets me overcharge plasma with no concerns. Especially so as I roll well anyway taking out three Terminators. Along with the Prince's Smite taking out the remaining two from the second Tac squad I'm free to charge. To add insult to injury the other CSM squad rolls well to reach the Scouts, taking out the last two that the heavy weapon squad couldn't kill. With Daemonforge in play the Shrimp has no real trouble taking out two Terminators and with a blistering attack from the Prince reducing the Vindicator to a single wound my opponent concedes.

gallery_30308_10077_60858.jpg

It was a brutal battle, from stealing the first turn to how it went things weren't great for my opponent. This was compounded by rebellious dice so he never really got a chance to make up ground. However with each game 8th and the DA codex is learnt that much more so - dice abiding - I'm sure he'll be in full swing soon enough. Our somewhat impromptu table set up will need improving too, as while it served well enough for 750pts at 1000pts we really need a full sized table to play with. Also to do some proper objectives rather than end up killing everything :lol:

The boards are still great though especially flipping them over for something different :smile.: As an added bonus I got a picture of the final water effect, the bubbles were a happy accident (or something) and I like how it turned out so I'll definitely be making use of it on future bases:

gallery_30308_10249_9983.jpg

Unfortunately it's hard to get a good shot with everything on top of it. I'm mulling over ideas for my next Chaos project once I'm done with the ETL. Now I've achieved the 1500pts it's probably time to expand into empty niches...

The Shrimp did ok, but by the time he got stuck in my opponent's dice had all but decided the game. He's got another game tomorrow, this time with my official 1500pts list which will surely be a truer test. I'm not sure if my list is all that good so a lot may depend on luck - but that's just good motivation to add more choices :wink:

1500pts vs Blood Angels

Capture the relic Nah let's just kill everything again

The Sunder

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [1167pts] ++

Gametype: Matched

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 180pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Intoxicating Elixir, Malefic talon, Warlord
Slaanesh: Warptime

Sorcerer [6 PL, 98pts]: Bolt pistol, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [158pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Chainaxe, Combi-bolter
7x Marine w/ Boltgun
Marine w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter
Marine w/ heavy weapon: Autocannon

Chaos Space Marines [161pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Chaos Space Marines [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [233pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword
Terminator: Combi-plasma, Lightning Claw
Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [172pts]: 2x Magma cutter, Mark of Slaanesh

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [333pts] ++

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [86pts]: 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [117pts]: 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [130pts]: Combi-bolter, Death Hex, Force stave, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience

Blood Angels

Hidden Content
TDA Captain

- TH

TDA Librarian

- Force Axe

TDA Chaplain

5x LC Terminators

5x TH/SS Terminators

5x Tac Terminators

- Assault Cannon

5x Tac Terminators

- Cyclone

Banner

- 5+++ banner

Apothecary

Lieutenant

I won to start deploying first, placing the heavies more centrally before reflecting the BA punchies placement. I don't have the fire power to do much, but at least I have more longer range - not that it matters much as my opponent wants to be in combat also. I fail to take first turn, so deployment turns from this...

gallery_30308_10077_86672.jpg

... into this! I am very lucky in that I only lose two Marines and my opponent fails in the charges. I need to remove these new arrivals as soon as possible before the second wave arrives and that might be a bit difficult with the characters.

gallery_30308_10077_33298.jpg

I grant Delightful Agonies to the left CSM squad as they move up, but moving the DP to Warptime the Terminators is denied which means I held the Prince back for nothing... Fortunately the Magma Cutters supported by lots of overcharged plasma really do a number on the Terminators, managing to wipe the Cyclone squad with the other survivors being cut down by charging, even managing to put some wounds on the characters.

gallery_30308_10077_5174.jpg

It's not great positioning though, and there's little I can do as the rest of the Terminators move up and remove my units without too much trouble. The Shrimp ends up doing more damage when it is hammered to death, though my rolls are poor and I only achieve 1 Mortal Wound on enemy units (2 on the CSM...).

gallery_30308_10077_47456.jpg

Sadly my dice abandon me, and my opponent takes full advantage in leveraging auras in particular. The 5+++ banner foils many an attack, and my psykers perform very poorly. My Terminators bounce off the TH/SS squad and are wiped out in response. The CSM squad moves up with the Prince, the Prince splitting attacks between the Captain and Apothecary failing to deal with either. Both are destroyed the following turn by Thunder Hammers and the table ends up like so:

gallery_30308_10077_20488.jpg

Things are looking bleak. While the Lightning Claw squad is greatly reduced the hammer squad is fine as is the Captain's hammer - all supported by characters to further enhance them and a Librarian who has no trouble swatting aside my deny attempts. At this stage I'm thinking the odds are against me, but not so much that victory isn't attainable and so I decide to throw it all in before my odds get worse. My characters all move up and give it their all. While the psykers are again poor the TDA Sorcerer gets Death Hex off on the TH/SS squad! This is great (would that he did when my Terminators charged...) and gives my chances a big boost.

This is further fuelled by my dice deciding to stop rolling ones - Force Sword finds purchase along with Force Staff and Lightning Claw, crucially rolling high for Damage. This is really what I need and I'm left with only characters to deal with, my TDA Lord reducing the Chaplain to a single wound even. With this the game has swung back in my favour.

gallery_30308_10077_27232.jpg

The Apothecary heals the Chaplain up and moves in to help, taking my Sorcerer down to two wounds but it's an uphill struggle for them. My dice, perhaps ashamed by their previous betrayal, are rolling well and always counting as charging lets me get my hits in first so over a couple of turns the BA are whittled down for a very hard fought victory!

I wasn't sure what would be best going in to this game, the shooty squads coming in to keep me occupied was smart as it meant the combat heavy hitters could arrive intact and almost certainly beat me in combat. I was lucky that I could put enough wounds in to wipe out the Tactical Terminators in one turn, otherwise it would've be a very different (and quicker) game. The banner was well protected so I really struggled trying to get rid of it, as whenever I could put some wounds through the 2+ a lot would be undone leaving my CSM squads in bad positions. At least their plasma going in (always overcharged!) counted so their contribution was still useful.

Wasn't a great game for the Shrimp, and the Terminators were always going to be out-terminatored so a victory for combined arms and character support. Unfortunate that Chaos can't get a 5+++ bubble of "hahaha, no"... the closest I get is Delightful Agonies which I've yet to get any decent use from :confused: Might need to reconsider powers for future games.

I think some further numbers that are a little more expandable should help, along with some extra mobility of my own. Good job I already have such plans :wink:

It was, middle game I was fairly sure I was going to lose so my characters did well to pull it back :smile.: Justifies how many of them I've done perhaps :tongue.: Plus to never give up of course :wink:

I've got some Cultists in the pipeline (though perhaps stuck in it is a more appropriate phrase?) including a little spice to come, but they won't exactly mirror the colour scheme. It wouldn't really work doing them in a halved scheme plus with their potential numbers I thought plenty of variety would be best. Also frees me up to experiment, so they'll feature different colours but sticking to the palette :thumbsup:

That'll be the melon and white, of course, plus supplementary colours like the purple I use on Daemonette armour (also for the Thousand Sons). Some additional bright colours will be sprinkled around too to keep things Slaaneshi and varied :biggrin.: