After a delay here's the WHW batrep:

500pts vs Black Legion

Are they following us?

Sunder

Hidden Content
++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [494pts] ++

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [86pts]: 2. Flames of Spite, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [204pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
3x Marine w/ Boltgun
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

Chaos Space Marines [204pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
3x Marine w/ Boltgun
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

Black Legion

Hidden Content
TDA Sorcerer

5x CSM

- Plasma pistol and PF Champ

- Plasma gun

Cultists

Horrors

Helbrute

- Reaper

- Autocannon

We spied this table going free, and thought it was too good to pass up. So, the battle on the most expensive table I've played on begins. Bonus that it's perfect for my basing scheme!

gallery_30308_10077_24266.jpg

We decided it'd be fitting to have it as a battle over who gets the fallen Titan for their nefarious deeds, and deployment was fairly straight forward for it. The Sunder pour from a nearby building:

gallery_30308_10077_18590.jpg

The BL set up the other side, but have to hedge bets as they don't know which side I'll come down (as that's what's going to happen, being the close combat army).

I secure the first turn and Advance up, but keep central to avoid the Helbrute's guns and keep my options open.

gallery_30308_10077_16470.jpg

My opponent starts drawing his CSM back in, and moves up cautiously.

gallery_30308_10077_48671.jpg

It's go time, so I move forwards again. I decide to go the "bottom" path as it'd be boring to go the other way and have a couple of turns of moving. Plus it means I'll secure the Titan objective.

gallery_30308_10077_48026.jpg

The Black Legion move up and start shooting, and start reducing a squad but I still have plenty left!

gallery_30308_10077_38789.jpg

It's at this stage we realise that while a cool table is great, some thought needs to be given to practicality as the inevitable scrap over the Titan leaves the Chaos gods powerless before the surging might of the Wobbly Model god...

The game continues with some models taking a rest but it helps that now we're in spitting range there starts to be less of them. Furious weapon exchanges drop my squad to just a couple, but I'm in range too and Lord supported fire takes its toll as the Cultists are evaporated as they try and block my way. The Black Legion squad gets reduced and the summoned Horrors prove ineffectual as they can kill only a few Marines before getting gunned down.

Most important is the reduced CSM squad can hop over the BL corpses to assault the Sorcerer, but he hangs on with a couple of wounds.

gallery_30308_10077_25141.jpg

Their slap fight continues as the horrors are cut down, letting Yjun lead the other squad towards the Helbrute:

gallery_30308_10077_41194.jpg

He ends up piling in to chop the Sorcerer down, but only his aura is needed to assist the main squad as it shoots and then cuts down the Helbrute without too much trouble.

gallery_30308_10077_53735.jpg

The Sunder claim the Titan! A good little battle to fill some spare time, and a very cool table (just avoid the heavy rubble :tongue.: ). This list is improved on my first 500pts as I don't need to divide my forces due to models. Two squads fully geared for combat (bolters to add numbers aside) can take some punishment and more importantly dish it out. Their shooting is quite respectable too once they get in range :smile.:

Contemptor is on hold as I need to get some new super glue, so I'm playing with the Rhino... I'll see how well it worked tomorrow :laugh.:

Either they have the exact same table multiple times or they carried it over to Warhammer Fest last weekend to show of some Armiger, Knight and Skitarii. :D

Anyway, great batrep. I didn't think the Helbrute would go down this quickly in melee against your regular guys but good on you!

I managed to score some hits with shooting which helped, but plenty of attacks hitting on 3s (re-rolling 1s) and wounding on 5s can find their way through with a bit of luck :) It's not like Dreads/Helbrutes are particularly hard to remove (sadly), so a squad can batter one down especially if it's geared for shooting. Might have been slightly different if not :P

I've got some Kill Team games in now, though I didn't get to field my CSM team but that may be just as well as I think it needs some revision. Having some Cultists to boost numbers feels like a good idea, I'll need to see. I'm also quite taken with the idea of a Rubric KT...

To make sure my sig is still accurate, I've made good progress on the Rhino today going from this base coat:

gallery_30308_10249_6275.jpg

to almost finishing the melon :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_12909.jpg

Taken a bit longer as I took the extra step of filling the joins/gaps on the model. It went quite well for the first attempt so I will aim to improve next time :smile.:

The gap filling went pretty well for my first go, so I'll aim on improving next time :smile.:

• 3 weeks later...

The Rhino is going to play second fiddle for a bit, as I've started my first Call of Chaos vow :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_5285.jpg

I've been playing with kitbashing a Dark Apostle for a week or so, so this was good timing to help get him finished. Along with an Exalted Champion, who can also serve as an Aspiring Champ or Lord if I want. Only the crozius isn't magnetised :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_95705.jpg

Pleased with how they all came out, the two Marines will be the official entry of MkIII for the Sunder :biggrin.: Once these are done I've got some Thousand Sons to do and Daemonettes, so CoC should help me get my foot through the door on them :smile.:

Looks like the Sunder are going to get even more HQ choices... at this rate I'll be able to field an army of only characters :laugh.:

Thanks :smile.: He was one of those kit bashes that felt like I might be going wrong when in progress (especially when I decided to tatter the cloak...) but I think the end result is good and was worth the time. He's a mix of two SM characters and the MkIII plastics and the helmet is a Chaplain skull (face down in WIP pictures). The crozius is a mix of three weapons too that very almost went wrong :tongue.:

Part of me wonders if I should do him black but best to stick to the Sunder's colours methinks as the helmet and cloak helps him stand out enough. I've got some touch ups to do on the Rhino for the base colours, I'll do this as I work on the melon and white for the new additions so I will be working on the Rhino too, albeit not as the priority :thumbsup:

You could do him in a darker version of your colours - my own emperor's children apostle is done in dark purple as to the medium purple of the rest of my models - he can be seen midway done the post here:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5081688

Not sure how you would do that with your split scheme though...

I thought about half black, but I think it might just look a bit odd. Plus there's no precedent for different schemes in the Sunder so he may just end up looking even more out of place for it. Perhaps the cloak can be black as a nod to it?

I'll decide soon enough, I've started working on the base white coats so hopefully I can get to the melon quickly as that takes a bit of time, especially so on the larger surface area of vehicles.

• 1 month later...

I've been working slowly but steadily on my Call of Chaos vow, it's time I reported this!

gallery_30308_10249_23468.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_19264.jpg

Weapons need finishing, along with their backpacks (currently primed...). The Apostle's skull too as well as his cape but I'll do that an off black so it won't take too long :smile.: Contemptor can match them in progress also:

gallery_30308_10249_25759.jpg

He's also awaiting finished arms, should be done soon enough aside from the close combat arm:

gallery_30308_10249_11922.jpg

I'm thinking a yellow/brown, perhaps paler? Though maybe not too pale in case it clashes with the white.