If you've got the bits, good to use them :tongue.: It seems that it was well worth it too, as some background came to me also:

The Sunder keep many of their traditions and procedures from their days as loyalists, in some ways even more so as traitors. As a brother would once aspire to join the Kindred as the pinnacle of martial art, so he does as a Chaos Marine. Joining such an exalted cadre is surely the best way to acquire more glory, and find more to devote themselves to for Slaanesh? The progression of a Marine darkly mirrors that of a loyalist chapter, even down to such veterans leading their newer brothers in battle. What better way to strengthen the Sunder, and therefore lead to great glory in the future? Of course, it is conveniently a great way to steal more glory for yourself...

As the nascent Chaos band formed under the Kindred's auspices they slowly acquired new members as those beneath them proved themselves before veteran eyes, and those of their new patron. The Kindred's famous (soon to be infamous) Tartaros armour could not supply them all, but thanks to being free of the leash of the Codex Astartes small bands of power armoured Kindred formed and started gaining their own glory.

In time the Sunder settled into their new form, and their way of devoting themselves to their god. This lead to an offshoot of those Kindred most devoted to Slaanesh, but no less in their skill and bonds of brotherhood. Taking on golden masks, all blessed under a Dark Crozius, they formed dark pacts and called themselves "the faith takers". In battle they are utterly silent, even their bolters and chainswords eerily so - at least until they bite into flesh. Yet they burst into maniacal laughter with apparently randomness in the midst of battle, and it is claimed this is the moment that their opponent's resolve is broken - their faith taken to be fed to Slaanesh.

It's one of those things that seems to have come together by itself, but it helps motivate me to get them on the table :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_5.jpg

Right arm is temporary to test the pose, but I think it works :smile.: Unfortunately this is as far as I get for now as I cut my finger quite badly so hobby is on pause :sad.: I have all the bits I need to make my Chosen now at least (all 20...) so I'll try and work towards that goal. In the meantime I suppose this gives me time to play with builds. I find myself leaning increasingly towards stabby...

• 2 weeks later...

I was experimenting with it, as it's a bit of work to remove the crest and clean the head up (not completely finished it in the example). I'm keen to get a squad done but I need to get more time and hobby mojo currently. Maybe I can find a spare plume from another kit for the Champ, as the Sunder do like them ;)

I also need to decide what I'm equipping the Chosen with. I think I'm set on CC builds - at least to start with - but still need to decide on what choices. The fist on the Champ makes sense for those 3 attacks, but maybe a second might be wise. Otherwise some lightning claws (paired?) and power swords should do the trick :)

For the Chosen I'd go either Power Sword or Power Axe and as side weapon combi-bolter, combi-plasma or plasma pistols.

That way they stay cheap-ish and they are a nice allrounder unit that benefits from the always strike first trait and the double shooting stratagem. Definitely a unit I'd want to use the FnP psychic power on or put in a transport since they still die as easily as any other PA Marine but pack more punch so they'll be rather high on the priority list for the enemies anti-infantry. ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Props on the huge white and red areas. Looks smooth and I know how hard that is to achieve with especially those two colours. :D

I hope you plan to use two combi-bolters now that you can always double tap them with the Bolter Disciplin beta rule. ;)

Too late for this one, though not sure how you're supposed to double up on the Chaos Rhino as the loyalist one comes with the mounted and cupola versions. It's not a big deal though as it already has a combi-bolter and who's to say Slaanesh doesn't make it fire faster? :laugh.:

The Rhino has been more work than I had expected, but it's coming together nicely now :smile.: Once it's done I can get back to the Chosen and Dreadnought - don't want to have projects hanging around too long plus that means I can bung the Chosen straight in to a transport for their first game :tongue.:

• 1 month later...

Good news everyone, GW has released a basing kit specifically for the Sunder!

40kAbaddon-Mar5-Abaddon7tyerhvfsh.jpg

How many other DIY armies can say the same? Looks rather large so probably not that cheap, not sure about how many bases it'll do but I guess I'll see when we spot the sprue shots.

I have nothing against him being a redhead (now), I just didn't know.

Well he is supposed to have black hair but I guess the painter didn't knew about it and chose red as contrast colour. Personally I'd paint the topknot itself black and the leather straps or whatever it is that holds his hair up in a dark red.

• 2 months later...

Back with an update, did anyone forget about the Rhino? :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_34720.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_37371.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_62203.jpg

I didn't as it has been sat on my desk for ages now, good to clear the debt! :smile.: Next Rhino when I get it will feature loyalist stormbolter, partly because I was thinking of doing it anyway but the Chaos one isn't great to put together. Will give me an excuse to try some extras to Chaos it up a bit more.

I'll try and get a better picture tomorrow, so you can see the different headlight colours. Next on my list will be finishing the Cultists or returning to the Dreadnought - I'm on a quest to reduce (and ideally vanquish) my project backlog :smile.:

Nice! It looks very "tanky" for lack of a better word- something about the paint style (especially on the pink side) has quite a realistically weathered quality. The white is very nice and clean, though perhaps a tiny bit of shading could help (could just be the pics though). I will say it might be good to have some subtle chipping and dirt around the track housing, but that could be my inner military nerd speaking. :biggrin.:

The poor photography blasts the white, so it does look better in person but adding some "depth" to the white on large slabs is on my to-do list (probably some black lining?). Weathering is something I'm mulling over for vehicles, it's never been something I've really got right/felt happy with. Maybe if I can decide on what colours to do the chipping in, and for the dirt that could at least be a start... :tongue.:

Some black lining likely would add to the model.  If you don't want as strong a contrast as black would give, I find that the GW blue-grey paint with the ridiculous name "the Fang" works well - if I can find a model where I used it, I will share it with you to show you.