They look really nice - you make me feel like I should really paint up my own. :)

Incidentally, even if you painted it up the front of the "flamer" green for acid or poison, I wouldn't see that as a problem.  It's still clear that its a flamer and there is no other 40K option to confuse it with.

Very nice, and also very weird :P Not just the concept of not having a pile of projects nagging me, but in the potential for new ones arrayed before me - I'm trying not to get carried away :lol: I think I might pick a "treat" project first though, but I'm not yet sure what that may be...

Very nice, and also very weird :tongue.: Not just the concept of not having a pile of projects nagging me, but in the potential for new ones arrayed before me - I'm trying not to get carried away :laugh.: I think I might pick a "treat" project first though, but I'm not yet sure what that may be...

After doing so much Slaanesh stuff recently Im taking a break and doing a little Imperial Guard army, been nice not working with power armour for once. 

Yeah, a bit of variety helps as it is the spice of life, helps keep your hobbying fresh when you need it. I'm thinking that as a very vague idea the three projects could be power armour, non-power armour, and a big model. That's an ideal, but would mean that I can avoid or work on any of the major "types" of models :smile.:

All theoretical of course. There must be countless theoretical ideas for managing hobby projects consigned to oblivion over the years :laugh.: We will find out how well I do in due course...

Fresh from the battlefield, the Cultists get their first game...

The Sunder vs Blood Angels - 1500pts

Maelstrom of War - Race to Victory

The Sunder

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [8CP, 874pts] ++

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [183pts]: 2. Flames of Spite, Death Hex, Intoxicating Elixir, Malefic talon, Malefic talon, Warlord, Warp bolter, Wings
Slaanesh: Smite

Sorcerer [103pts]: Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Mark of Slaanesh, Plasma pistol, Prescience, Smite

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [56pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
5x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 5x Autogun
3x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon: 3x Autopistol, 3x Brutal assault weapon
Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
Cultist Champion: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Chaos Space Marines [84pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Power sword
3x Marine w/ Boltgun: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
Marine w/ heavy weapon: Autocannon, Bolt pistol

Chaos Space Marines [78pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Chainaxe, Combi-bolter, Frag & Krak grenades
3x Marine w/ Boltgun: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
Marine w/ heavy weapon: Bolt pistol, Heavy bolter

Chaos Space Marines [158pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Chainsword, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Bolt pistol, Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [132pts]: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh, Maulerfiend fists

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [80pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Havoc launcher, Mark of Slaanesh, Smoke Launchers

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [1CP, 626pts] ++

Detachment CP [1CP]

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [100pts]: Accursed crozius, Benediction of Darkness, Blissful Devotion, Bolt pistol, Dark Zealotry, Frag & Krak grenades, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [243pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Terminator Champion: 2x Lightning Claw
Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
Terminator: Combi-melta, Power fist
Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

Helbrute [132pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon
Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [151pts]: Butcher cannon, Combi-bolter, Havoc launcher, Hellforged deathclaw, Mark of Slaanesh

Blood Angels

Hidden Content
Jump Techmarine

Librarian

Librarian Dread

DC Dread

Furioso

TLLC Dread

10x Tac

5x Scouts

5x Scouts

Baal

Baal

Flamestorm Baal

This was a bit exciting, not just some new models but a mission I've never had before. The race to 10 was quite interesting but with the army set ups I wasn't sure if the game wouldn't be over by some other means before that mattered. With the Cultists ready to jump on bullets fight well I tried a bit of the MSU approach, keeping a CCW squad to ride in the Rhino - but to be honest I wasn't really sure what I was doing during deployment.

So when in doubt; keep together and protect your six! Fortunately (?) my opponent's army was built to close also, so much so that I was the one with the better long range weaponry! I think that's a first. I wasn't going to worry about the flanking Baals as they'd be fast enough to do what they like so it was best to stay concentrated as the Dreadnoughts would seriously ruin my day if I let them!

gallery_30308_10077_24567.jpg

Turn 1

I secure first turn, but there isn't really much to be done. My opponent is definitely coming for me so there's little to be gained by making this easy for him. The Rhino scoots up to wait behind the central ruin and my other forces hold. Prescience on the Helbrute and Delightful Agonies on the Cultists and I'm ready for shooting... and what a shooting phase it is!

The Dreadlbrute blasts his opposite TLLC number with two 6s for damage and the Contemptor deals 4 damage to the Furioso. Some more wounds plinked off with Heavy Bolter and Autocannon fire and I can't believe my luck. The best shooting phase for the Sunder, never mind turn 1! This sets me up neatly as now I dominate long range firepower so my opponent needs to move quickly.

So he does, with advancing Dreads and infantry. Fire is poured into - you guessed it - the Cultists. They survive with 2 models left thanks to Delightful Agonies, and barely hold on with a morale roll of 1. The Dark Apostle doing his job there! This marks an equally good opponent's first turn for me, so I'm sitting pretty.

Turn 2

I'm well aware of the hand the dice gods have given me, so I'm not going to waste it. The CCW squad prepares for a charge with their Rhino, and the Termies strike in behind enemy lines. I wasn't sure what to do with them, but an opportunity to snipe the Librarian and cause mischief for the stronger enemy flank was a good enough idea.

Tanks to their combi-melta the job is done, and Fire Frenzy lets the Dreadbrute pop the Furioso without much concern. He's having a stonking game already! Unfortunately other shooting isn't great, but I'm putting more wounds out there, in particular the CCW squad's melta dishing out some hurt to the nearby Baal.

Setting up for the charges, my turn 2 is looking like a solid follow up to a stellar first turn:

gallery_30308_10077_28276.jpg

Combat goes well, the Baal is badly damaged but holds on with a few wounds. My opponent has suffered bad setbacks so must go all in to try and claim back some ground. Especially as neither side has had much luck with Tactical Objectives, so every unit is going to count for when a good one comes up.

The damaged Baal withdraws, and combined shooting and assault from Scouts badly reduces the squad with the remaining two fleeing, letting the Scouts consolidate into the Rhino. The Techmarine is piggling away at the damage I'm inflicting, but poor rolls mean it's not much to worry about it. The right flank pulls back a bit to tackle the Termies and there's little they can do to endure that but perhaps the time they bought might help bring about victory.

Turn 3

With some losses of my own I decide I can't hold back any more and I need to commit everything to make sure my advantage isn't reduced. I leave the Rhino in combat because I'm not sure I want it shot up as it could be handy. I advance the Cultists up with a hope to shuffle them to the left point (just cut off in picture) as I hope to secure a raft of TO cards and Victory Points by claiming 3 objectives, the crater objective and super bonus points if my Warlord kills a unit with 10+ wounds (i.e. the flamestorm Baal).

gallery_30308_10077_42521.jpg

Unfortunately this plan doesn't quite work as I fail my charges and the Maulshrimp gets badly bruised on overwatch :sad.: The Contemptor can't shoot the Scouts for toffee but the Dreadbrute proves his worth yet again by blasting the Librarian Dread down. Against my white hot damage rolls from the TLLC there's little you can do! Coupled with the Heavy Bolter and Autocannon finishing off the damaged Baal this is easily the best shooting game my Chaos have ever had... not to mention a Smite from the Daemon Prince finishing the DC Furioso off which had got dangerously close.

In return, the surviving Baal puts some shots in on the Autocannon CSM that moved up to take the Cultist's place but they hold with only a couple of casualties. The Maulershrimp is further beaten silly by shooting and brought down to a single wound by the Scouts (seems to be his party trick...), managing to take them out in response which is a great result.

Turn 4

I'm having a pretty great game, and I'm well set to claim a jackpot in TOs. I start moving everything up and dump fire into the Baal - once more the Dreadbrute doing his (obscene) thing. My forces pile in on the right flank and with the Daemon Prince handily taking out the Baal and the Contemptor striking at the Tacticals the game is won as my opponent has little left and concedes. Victory!

gallery_30308_10077_92807.jpg

So much for New Model Syndrome! What a game, my dice were on fire for most of it and there was little my opponent could do against that. The Dreadbrute performed far above anything I could have hoped, Fire Frenzy helping a lot of course but when I'm rolling 5s and 6s for damage there's no arguing with that...

MSU was decent, but the CSM didn't attract a huge amount of fire so perhaps easy to say. I'm still surprised the Cultists survived, they didn't fire a shot but at least they nabbed an objective. I was lucky that my opponent's force was geared for combat and I got first turn, I imagine it could have very easily been different had I an opposing TLLC to worry about. After all, you only need a couple of good damage rolls to take out most vehicles in the game as this proved!

Maulershrimp seems to do most of his work in attracting attention, unfortunately what he's capable of is too well known so he struggles to achieve the potential. At least the Daemon Prince is an exemplary killing machine, perhaps I should call him "Lord Crutch" :laugh.: It's good to have a new dynamic to my list building but I still need a bit more to truly spice things up, and that's coming soon enough whatever it may be... :smile.:

Good stuff, Warriorfish.

I also rely heavily on my Daemon Princes to get the job done. They are remarkably good at reducing marines to whimpering slurry.

My 40k experience for years has been that my marines plink away and do a bit of damage, my cultists do nothing but score and catch bullets. The Daemon Princes and daemon engines seem to do all the heavy lifting.

I'm sure the amount of time and effort I put into him helps him do well on the table but throwing out a load of high strength attacks on WS2+ with a re-roll to hit certainly doesn't hurt either :laugh.: I'm wondering if I can save some points and drop the wings as he's no that slow, but the extra movement is probably too important to help him get where he needs (i.e. saving the day...).

The Contemptor normally does some heavy lifting but the nature of the game meant he didn't really get the chance to shine! Next one will have some lascannons so they'll make for another great addition :smile.: I'm hoping that the upcoming changes in the game can put a shot in the arm for my infantry as they could do with one but we'll see.

The Rhino is doing good work but it has the same problem as the Termies in that going off unsupported means it's usually a short trip... That second Rhino needs to come before too long but I feel I need to get some more Marines done first.

Well, I just read through this entire thread. Your devotion to this army really shows and your models and small conversions absolutely rock. Half and Half split schemes aren't seen much in chaos, mostly due to plenty of loyalist schemes that are also split. Really great stuff and I'll be avidly watching this thread :biggrin.:

Time seems to fly, maybe it's the warp? :tongue.: The current project backlog is looking very good. One project almost complete, soon there will be only one left! The collection backlog is of course a different story :lol: It's not that bad for my CSM as it's pretty much Marines, and that's more a case of having plenty of bits and kits sitting around ready to be raided as and when (also technically shared with my SM). So aside from adding to the rank and file with these whenever it suits I have a fair few Terminators to do, Raptors plus some Chosen (they count aside from the general Marine bits, as I got bits specially for them).

That's pretty good on reflection :smile.: I'll be focusing on my Daemons for the immediate period after the project backlog is done but will keep other armies in the mix to maintain some variety, I'm tempted with the Raptors or Chosen next for my Chaos Marines.

Raptors being next might be neat, will you be kitbashing them to the warp and back too? What models are you going to use for the Chosen? I assume they'll be extra blingy as they are the elite of the Sunder and would want everyone to know it :biggrin.:

I have the MkIV assault models, partly for the MkIV of course but also for the jump packs. I'll be mixing and matching armour marks and bits up as normal for them :smile.: The Chosen will feature modified Sanguinary Guard masks, I'll also be trying to dig up bits that are a bit different and more Chaosy for them but I've only got as far as playing around with a test model for them so nothing is set in stone yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I may have a new priority project or two... we'll see what takes my interest! One is a Lord Disco which I have now acquired after wanting one ages - but it's always been the model I was interested in so I never paid much attention to the rules :P

He seems decent, especially against vehicles but as I face Tyranids maybe that's not the configuration I'll use. What about the Baleflamer? Anyone got tips and advice to share?

I may have a new priority project or two... we'll see what takes my interest! One is a Lord Disco which I have now acquired after wanting one ages - but it's always been the model I was interested in so I never paid much attention to the rules :tongue.:

He seems decent, especially against vehicles but as I face Tyranids maybe that's not the configuration I'll use. What about the Baleflamer? Anyone got tips and advice to share?

Lord Discordants are a lot of fun, they can mash a lot of big beasty stuff quite nicely and he'll buff your Maulerfiend too. The Baleflamer is nice but can be quite pricey but again it's really handy against the bigger stuff. I can't wait to see what you come up with on the Disco lord :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick note to say I've not forgotten my Chaos... at least the Marine variety! I'm focusing on my Daemons for the moment, so it you want to track progress the link is in my sig - I'm going big as a teaser:

Hidden Content
gallery_30308_10249_58262.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_21374.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_70956.jpg

It is the Slaaneshi way to go all or nothing right? :wink: I am scoping some Obliterators as the next CSM project once I need a break from my Daemons, but first things first; the Daemons will fight as an allied force with my Marines before they stand alone so I conjured up a 1,500pts list I think is pretty decent:

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) [4CP, 671pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Slaanesh

Detachment CP [5CP]

Rewards of Chaos (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Infernal Enrapturess [70pts]

Keeper of Secrets [210pts]: Hysterical Frenzy, Sinistrous hand, Soulstealer, Symphony of Pain

+ Troops +

Daemonettes [70pts]: Alluress, 9x Daemonette, Instrument of Chaos

+ Elites +

Fiends [6 PL, 111pts]: Blissbringer, 2x Fiend

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [8CP, 829pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [165pts]: 2. Intoxicating Musk, Death Hex, Intoxicating Elixir, Malefic talon, Warlord, Wings
Slaanesh

Sorcerer [88pts]: Bolt pistol, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [46pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
5x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
3x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Space Marines [138pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Heavy or Special Weapon: Meltagun

Chaos Space Marines [135pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Heavy or Special Weapon: Meltagun

+ Elites +

Helbrute [122pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon
Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [135pts]: Butcher cannon, Combi-bolter, Hellforged deathclaw, Mark of Slaanesh

Two Battalions nets me a lot of Command Points to fuel various Stratagems (I'll need to make sure I learn the Daemon ones), and a decent number of models on the table. It's very much an attacking list, but as EC and Slaaneshi daemons that's sort of how it goes and better to do something properly rather than half heart it.

I have a couple of ideas for the harp's colours, but probably nothing too fancy as the colours for the daemons are set :)

I've also got a Venomcrawler for the Sunder too as Rumi helped give me the final push on it, I fully expect that to be the next CSM project after the Oblits :P However this should be into 2020 before I get near that as I should be working hard on my daemons instead...

• 1 month later...

For those not following my Daemons I've been making good progress so I thought it time for a small update here:

gallery_30308_10249_29775.jpg

The Enrapturess is done, and I'm working my way towards that Battalion!

gallery_30308_10249_43051.jpg

I'm only 10 more Daemonettes away from a fully fledged Daemon army, and another 10 and the KoS from the proposed tag team list above :biggrin.: Once I've got the Battalion done (and Keeper) it'll be a good point to pause and take stock - and a good time to keep things fresh with other projects. I think I'll have well and truly earned working on the Lord Disco then.

Yes that's a clean and tidy desk you see - one of the advantages of clearing that backlog :tongue.:

• 2 weeks later...

My Daemons are ready to go, or almost - Daemon Prince needs returning to:

gallery_30308_10249_1437.jpg

Won't take long to finish his backpack. Once this is done I have these lined up:

gallery_30308_10249_26440.jpg

All arms and front plates aren't glued for ease of painting. Seems I can't escape the "Daemon" keyword :wink:

As I was returning to the Daemon Prince may as well finish the whole lot, remember the daemonic sword?

gallery_30308_10249_4961.jpg

All done now :D

gallery_30308_10249_34066.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_39738.jpg

Probably not that useful here, but I wonder if it might be more so in allied Daemons detachments where I might want to keep costs down a bit? Next up is the Obliterators :tu:

Having a very productive day it seems, got the Oblits primed and the melon done:

gallery_30308_10249_48867.jpg

For an update I have a battalion for my daemons:

gallery_30308_10249_39730.jpg

I'm already busy playing with lists in Battlescribe to see what sort of allied armies I can put together :biggrin.: I will have them on the table early next month so I'll see what I might be able to get done by then too :smile.:

There's some mutual bonuses to try for as I add more Daemon units to my CSM, not least that the Infernal Enrapturess can return a single Slaanesh Daemon unit to a squad at full health at the start of each turn (within 6" on a 6) - so theoretically I could bring an Oblit back from the dead? :tongue.: