I don't know how long I can keep it up, but so far the New Model Way is working really well :tongue.: I'd liked Oblits as a concept for a while but the metal models weren't something I could get behind. I was toying with converting my own from Centurions but these models hit the spot :smile.: They have clear similarities with Centurions which is presumably intentional to more fully absorb them into the lore? Either way they're a mix of Centurion and Terminator spiced with Chaos that I like so here we are :tongue.:

They will fit in well with the Sunder too, bringing some solid fire power at close range. They're even a bit decent in a fight if needed (or more likely when charged). I'll see how much time I can get this week to progress on them, I'm thinking that completion this month is achievable :thumbsup:

They're rather large models and with a lot of trim, bits and details to paint so it's taking a bit of time. I decided that it was taking too long working on them together so I swapped part way through to focus on a single model:

gallery_30308_10249_4914.jpg

Getting there, mostly metallics left now :smile.: I should be able to finish him tomorrow, though the other will need to wait until next weekend to be finished I expect - still in plenty of time before I need them :thumbsup:

I've swapped back to working on them both now, not been able to get a great deal of time but they're almost there:

gallery_30308_10249_64560.jpg

A fair bit of detail and bits here and there but I will be able to finish them next week :smile.: They're a bit deceptive in that there's a lot of different bits that need different colours and some fine detail that needs attention in places, so they're taking longer than I had expected. I have a new phone so I need to get to grips with its camera to get the most from it also, here's hoping upgrading from the spud camera doesn't stop hiding the flaws :laugh.:

Yes, the trim and the spikes and all sorts took a while but there's also quite a bit of surface area and bits to cover but all progress is good progress :smile.: There's a few cables and lenses to do along with some final details, along with the bases to finish. Nothing major but together will require a bit of time, I'll pick away during the week but have Saturday to complete before the planned game so plenty of time :thumbsup:

I'm thinking maybe the Lord Disco or Venomcrawler next for my CSM? I'll see what I fancy doing once these are complete - still enjoying the New Model Army approach :biggrin.:

Your oblits are looking good!

As noted by Arkaniss, both would be cool - haven't painted a disco, so can't give much advice there.  Its a bigger model than the Venomcrawler, so that could be a factor to consider when deciding which project is next.

That's a good point Rumi, I might like a smaller project to complete a little faster as I have plans to take part in the Iron Hands inaugural event. There's more models than time unfortunately, but isn't that always the case? :P Perhaps if I get really desperate I can allocate units to a number and let the dice gods decide :lol:

There will be one more when I get the Venomcrawler done :wink: That will start next month I expect at some point, as I swap to other armies briefly. Of course my Chaos are not far away, not least as the Oblits got their first outing today! As this was the inaugural battle for my Daemons as their first Detachment I have done the batrep with my Daemons here :thumbsup:

Limitations/lack of love from GW aside I think the Daemons worked well with my CSM. Better than I expected really, though early days of course. I will likely run them together a few more times yet so will have a better idea then but it's promising. First things to consider: more guns for my CSM - bad enough they're short on them without adding Daemons to the mix :laugh.:

Thanks guys :smile.: They have more than a passing similarity to Centurions, so they'd be my first plan if I wanted Obliterators a bit different :thumbsup: This was my original idea as I didn't like the old Oblit models, until I became more "ok" with daemony bits :tongue.:

I will need to have a think about what's next for my CSM after the Venomcrawler. The Daemons might change needs and plans if I'm to use them more going forwards. There's the Chosen I want to do, plus the Raptors and of course the Lord Disco... Alas there are only so many hours in a day :laugh.:

Back again after another visit to WHW. I was focusing on my Daemons for this as mentioned, but I did get a larger game in with my CSM :smile.:Daemon batreps are from here if you're interested.

The Sunder and Daemons of Slaanesh

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [5CP, 953pts] ++

+ Configuration [5CP] +

Detachment CP [5CP]

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ [244pts] +

Chaos Lord [84pts]: 2. Intoxicating Musk, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw [10pts], Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

Dark Apostle [72pts]: Benediction of Darkness, Blissful Devotion, Mark of Slaanesh

Sorcerer [88pts]: Bolt pistol, Death Hex, Force sword [8pts], Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience

+ Troops [322pts] +

Chaos Cultists [46pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 5x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun [20pts]
. 3x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon [12pts]
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon [10pts]: Flamer [6pts]
. Cultist Champion [4pts]: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Chaos Space Marines [138pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [20pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power sword [4pts]
. 7x Marine w/ Chainsword [77pts]
. Marine w/ Heavy or Special Weapon [25pts]: Meltagun [14pts]
. Marine w/ Plasma pistol [16pts]: Chainsword, Plasma pistol [5pts]

Chaos Space Marines [138pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [20pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power sword [4pts]
. 7x Marine w/ Chainsword [77pts]
. Marine w/ Heavy or Special Weapon [25pts]: Meltagun [14pts]
. Marine w/ Plasma pistol [16pts]: Chainsword, Plasma pistol [5pts]

+ Heavy Support [312pts] +

Maulerfiend [122pts]: Lasher tendrils [12pts], Mark of Slaanesh

Obliterators [190pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, 2x Obliterator [12 PL, 190pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [75pts] +

Chaos Rhino [75pts]: Combi-bolter [2pts], Combi-bolter [2pts], Havoc launcher [6pts], Mark of Slaanesh

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) [8CP, 547pts] ++

+ Configuration [8CP] +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Chaos Allegiance: Slaanesh

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ [226pts] +

Daemon Prince of Chaos [156pts]: Malefic talon [10pts]
. Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy

Infernal Enrapturess [70pts]

+ Troops [210pts] +

Daemonettes [70pts]: Alluress [6pts], 9x Daemonette [54pts], Instrument of Chaos [10pts]

Daemonettes [70pts]: Alluress [6pts], 9x Daemonette [54pts], Instrument of Chaos [10pts]

+ Elites [111pts] +

Fiends [111pts]: Blissbringer [37pts], 2x Fiend [74pts]

Black Legion

Hidden Content
Abaddon

TDA Sorcered of Tzeentch

10x CSM

5x CSM

10x Cultists

Helbrute w/reaper and missiles

Helbrute w/multi-melta and fist

5x Termies

5x Termies

Havocs w/missiles

20x Pink Horrors (summoned)

Deployment

Another grudge match with the Black Legion trying to bring the Sunder under their wing. I have a small disadvantage as it's Big Guns Never Tire and I have two Heavy Support choices to one but it likely won't make a difference. There's a lot of shooting to weather, backed up by some decent combat potential - I'll need to close in quickly and make sure I leverage my Daemonic advantages.

Easy to say as ever! I decide to keep my forces segmented, make it a bit easier to manage but also try and maximise aura use for my Daemons. With any luck I can scuttle on the right flank and then turn inwards, but much rests on the arrival of Abaddon and friends. I have some answers in a Daemonette squad and the Obliterators in reserve so I'm optimistic I can handle them, and it's more a matter of the opportunity and how the rest of the game goes.

gallery_30308_10077_47124.jpg

Turn 1

I secure first turn, which is a bit of a shock given previous games :tongue.: I thought this was probably best though, as I need to move and move quickly. The Fiends scuttle up and hide in the building on the right, and the Rhino pops smoke. There's nothing else for me to do.

gallery_30308_10077_71131.jpg

Unfortunately there's much for my opponent to do... Horrors are brought in number to face off against my daemons, there's some luck in that Prescience fails on the Havocs and he takes a Mortal Wound from the summoning. Things don't improve however as the Helbrute blows the Rhino up, shaving some wounds off the Maulershrimp and I lose the plasma pistol and bolt pistol from the squad. To compound things, the Havocs follow this up by taking out the Maulershrimp. As if that wasn't enough the Horrors have no trouble taking out the closest Daemonettes :sad.:

gallery_30308_10077_224930.jpg

Turn 2

That's about the worst a first turn has gone for some time... I have a bit of an uphill fight ahead of me now. I still have plenty to use however, as I can turn things around with combat. The Fiends have no trouble moving up and taking out the Havocs, with my other Daemonic forces surging ahead to take out the Horrors as quickly as possible. I send the Rhino squad up to shoot and charge the Helbrute, inflicting five wounds in all. My other CSM forces move up to the half way mark, ready to pitch in next turn or peel off to take on the CSM and Helbrute who are advancing.

My opponent moves his forces up, but the chief work is bringing Abaddon down behind his Sorcerer, and the two Terminator squads behind my lines on the flanks. Things are getting messy! Abaddon's shooting takes out the Fiends easily, and the Terminators kill all but four of the Cultists - the Marines weathering with a single loss only. The Horrors are being bled out badly finally routing. The Violators move in to charge my Rhino squad, reducing them further but they're holding on. Perhaps most usefully the CSM on the left move in against my second CSM squad, but Yjun Heroically Intervenes and chops them down with ease, giving me vital breathing room.

Turn 3

Now the enemy reserves are here I need mine in right away, and I have just the ticket. My Oblits drop in between the Termies, and the Daemonettes on the right behind the right hand squad. My second CSM squad moves up with Yjun to bail out my fading Rhino squad, with the rest of my CSM moving to shoot and engage the right Terminators along with the Enrapturess. This goes well reducing them, and everything can make a charge in to reduce them further. The Obliterators unleash their rage on the left squad, reducing them to a single model with their S8 AP-2 D2 weapons. Things look up further as the Violators are brought down in size handily, though the Prince struggles against Abaddon and is taken out in return. Fortunately he'll not be able to remove the Daemonettes quite so easily!

My opponent has been badly mauled in combat and things have turned about. The melta Helbrute continues to move up but is lagging badly. The other Helbrute is chopped down my the lone Champ from the Rhino squad letting Yjun and his squad carry out their bloody business.

gallery_30308_10077_111992.jpg

At this stage unfortunately it's time to stop, but my opponent is gracious enough to concede defeat rather than default to a draw as the writing was on the wall. A hard fought victory indeed! The start was pretty bad as I was relying on the Maulershrimp to do the high strength lifting along with the Rhino squad to engage high value targets. Losing a Daemonette squad didn't help either.

Fortunately the Fiends finally got the type of target they needed to perform in a small squad that really didn't want to be in combat. Though I no longer had any vehicles for their kraks they would have been very bad news firing frags into my Daemonettes or Cultists. The Horrors weren't good to see either as they're perfect for dealing with Daemonettes and a fairly stubborn squad to remove with their 4++. My psykers whiffed, but if you read my Daemon batreps that was business as standard apparently... at least I got a good Death Hex off on the right hand Terminators which helped a bit.

While it was good to have my Daemons fighting together with my CSM it is a fair amount of points to put in, leaving me a bit short of the more capable units but I thought it worked well enough. Plenty of numbers and mobility and of course combat capability, plus as expected the Oblits are perfect for dropping in to target tough units - especially ones that like hiding :tongue.: Aside from being fun there's some cross overs they can benefit from, so it won't be the last time they tag team up for games :)

This was the only game the Sunder got in this time, but it wasn't their only feature as I grabbed some loot for them also:

gallery_30308_10249_46778.jpg

Magnetising the Contemptor will go far with options, and the Power Weapons set will give me lots of toys for the Faith Takers Chosen squad I have planned :smile.: First things first though, the Venomcrawler and Lord Disco are waiting in the wings :smile.:

A timely (successful) Death Hex is wonderful indeed.

Yes, Daemons and CSM have some nice synergies. Once I complete all my painting projects, I'd like to put together a small Nurgle or Khorne daemon battalion to support my Night Lords or World Eaters. It was great seeing your 2 Slaaneshi forces working together.

Thanks again for the enjoyable batrep!

As always WarriorFish, was a great game! One day my Black Legion will bring the cursed Sunder under the heel I’m sure!

Great playing at Warhammer World too, we spent some time making sure the board looked great and the mission/deployment worked well. Another well earned victory for you brother!

BCC

Keeping Abaddon awake at night is what gets the Sunder up in the morning :tongue.: I didn't quite realise how much cross over there is between the armies, as a fair few of the Stratagems and rules stipulate only Slaanesh or Daemon for example so having more daemon units in my CSM forces will help solidify their co-ordination on the battle field :smile.: It feels like I'm making progress with them as a cohesive force, so I reckon with a few more games under my belt and some more Daemons I should be on top of the alliance. There's certainly signs of their effectiveness already :thumbsup:

It was worth putting the extra effort in on the table first, rather than just rolling up to whatever was there will need to remember this next games at WHW. I hope to get some good assembly done in the week for my other projects - the sooner they're done the sooner I'm back to my CSM :wink:

Keeping Abaddon awake at night is what gets the Sunder up in the morning :tongue.: I didn't quite realise how much cross over there is between the armies, as a fair few of the Stratagems and rules stipulate only Slaanesh or Daemon for example so having more daemon units in my CSM forces will help solidify their co-ordination on the battle field :smile.: It feels like I'm making progress with them as a cohesive force, so I reckon with a few more games under my belt and some more Daemons I should be on top of the alliance. There's certainly signs of their effectiveness already :thumbsup:

It was worth putting the extra effort in on the table first, rather than just rolling up to whatever was there will need to remember this next games at WHW. I hope to get some good assembly done in the week for my other projects - the sooner they're done the sooner I'm back to my CSM :wink:

Just a heads up, even if a Stratagem only mentions the Daemon keyword you can't use it on a CSM unit with Daemon keyword.

Q: When a Stratagem from Codex: Chaos Daemons uses

the Daemon keyword, can it be used to affect any unit with

the Daemon keyword, or only units with the Daemon

Faction keyword?

A: These Stratagems can only affect units with the

Daemon Faction keyword.

That's 100% on GW for using the same keyword as unit keyword as well as faction keyword. It's a major screw up that they are probably never going to fix because by the time we get a new Daemon Codex in which they could adjust the faction keyword they probably already forgot about it.

Furthermore, while we're at it, Psychic Powers with the same name count as the same power for the purposes of Psychic Fokus (cast only once per phase), so even though the Delightful Agonies of Codex: Chaos Daemons only gives a 6+++ and only applies to a SLAANESH DAEMON unit instead of a 5+++ that applies to a SLAANESH HERETIC ASTARTES unit, you aren't allowed to cast both in the same phase. :rolleyes:

Not trying to rain on the parade, just something to look out for when the army grows. :sweat:

Edited by Panzer

• 2 weeks later...

With one vow down today I still need to complete the other, but I wasn't in the mood for any more painting. Instead I switched over to assembly, so as promised: one Spidershrimp!

gallery_30308_10249_17385.jpg

He's not glued to the base yet, and neither are the rear legs but aside from making for easier painting I also want to add a little more to the base. Not too much as the sculpted detail and spare milliput crater goes a way, probably an extra rubble piece and a few skulls and tiles :thumbsup: Looking forward to painting him, I expect I'll get to start next month but you never know :smile.: