As I got him primed today I squeezed in a quick start:

gallery_30308_10249_68461.jpg

I will focus on my remaining vow project of course, but as they will need completing next weekend that means I have some potential time slots for initial base work on the Spidershrimp so if all goes well might be able to jump start it :tu:

I look forward to seeing your venomcrawler progress - its a great model.  I like seeing how you do the units we have uncommon - same army, same units, but very different paint scheme... it always gives me ideas on how I could have painted things.

Unlike your unassembled maulerfiend, the venomcrawler isn't very shrimpish... or has "shrimp" become your go to name for daemon engines? :)

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

He's not very shrimpy but I'm taken with the naming convention for my daemon engines :biggrin.: It's a nice model indeed so I'm looking forward to painting it, I do wonder about how (or when..?) it'll work as a separate kit same as the Obliterators as they're quite mono-pose but I'll probably not need more than what I have so it might not be an issue for me.

It's part of the fun seeing what others do, as well as providing inspiration :smile.: Nothing like seeing someone else's take on something to fuel your own after all. As a heads up, my next model for the Sunder will be the Lord Disco if you want to get one :laugh.::wink:

I think it'll work well, it's refreshing working on the melon/white again. Even though it hasn't been that long since I last did it (the Oblits) it feels longer because my projects have been so different - the new way yielding fruit :smile.: Along with assembly here and there it's keeping things very fresh so I'm going to try to keep it up. Without veering into the project backlog mess again that is :laugh.:

Making progress on the Spidershrimp, but first a family comparison shot in case anyone needed it:

gallery_30308_10249_113766.jpg

I've finished the melon so starting to run out of basic colours to do:

gallery_30308_10249_27111.jpg

Fortunately we're almost at the weekend :tongue.: I will be working on my vow mostly but I reckon I can squeeze in a paint or two on the Spidershrimp as well :smile.:

• 3 weeks later...

Stormies are done, but it's been hard uniting free time and hobby mojo since. Fortunately got some work done today, even if not the most exciting (and definitely not fun) - first coat of the gold:

gallery_30308_10249_61351.jpg

Hopefully can get more done, would be nice to get the metallics finished but I'll see how it goes :tu:

Back again making some more progress. Sadly my gold paint wasn't very happy last time but I managed to rescue it with some water and a good shake, not sure how reliable it'll be in the future so hopefully I can replace it before that happens - if not it'll mean I can't work on my Chaos as all three armies use it a lot :ermm:

gallery_30308_10249_86874.jpg

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now; the flesh and details are all that remains of the model along with touch ups. The base and associated bits will take longer, I need to decide which orientation I'm going with and I think I should add some of the tiles. It's a bit base so it needs a bit more to fill it up, and I've been a little lax with them lately.

Spidershrimp is about finished, just got the base to do:

gallery_30308_10249_34270.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_48707.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_28928.jpg

A nice model but rather fiddly in places, I enjoy the daemon engine look of being fused with machine but it can be a little time consuming to paint with all the various bits. The base will keep me busy in the week between adding bits and working round the model and texture paints (and some water effect too probably) but at least it's simple work.

Looking forward to (eventually) getting him on the table top to work alongside the Maulershrimp. Aside from sharing the name they have a similar enough battlefield role of causing mischief and slapping things abut in combat. Not as durable or killy, but does have some ranged weaponry to compensate. I'm not sure if the summoning support will be much use, but it is something I will try out when I can :smile.:

Thanks, there's no way I could freehand lines anywhere near that neat though :lol: It's the large transfer, I carefully cut out the bits so it went around the arrows :) Easy enough mostly a matter of patience though I need to replace my blade as a sharper knife would make it easier.

I've repainted the blood on the tendril, as I forgot and gave it a varnish after adding the blood effect which removed the shine. Looks nice and fresh now :) I like to varnish the odd bit where there's likely to take damage to get touched more to pick the model up - goes a long way to helping prevent any repainting and touch ups later :tu:

Yes it's worth doing, a lesson I needed to only learn a few times back in the day :P I've never been brave enough to varnish a whole model in case something went wrong with it, or it changes colours/reduced metallic too much but it is well worth it in select places. You know where models tend to get picked up, and what bits poke out so a little bit of protection there goes a long way. That and on fancy bits you worked hard on and don't want damaged, like the metal Guard banner :lol:

It's good to get back to painting again, was a period where progress was slow as I couldn't find the time or the inspiration when I did. I'm definitely planning on mixing it up after the Spidershrimp is done, I fancy some infantry for a change but with my empty hobby decks I'm free to do whatever I want :)

Not that I will get ahead of myself (that's how you get into the project mess), so I'll be focusing on the Spidershrimp's base and make that decision when I come to it :tu:

The Sunder are looking as fine as ever! The venomcrawler is looking good and I love how you put Slaanesh's emblem on it's hull.

Also jealous how nice you have the white down. Picked up my brushes and tried using the corax white (which came out great in two thin layers) but when I added the ceramite white on top it was a wee bit chalky. I want to blame it on the paint being old haha.

Thanks! :biggrin.: As to the white originally I tried putting the layer white as a final colour but it didn't look much different or as good a finish as Ceramite White for some reason. So I stick to Ceramite White, as long as you make sure it is well fed with water drops as you need, and given a good shake to avoid any chalkiness it seems to work fine in my experience. The rest is building up a few layers, and I'm sure the complementary colours around it help it look better than it actually is :laugh.:

I definitely need to play with it more. Shook it up good but maybe need to throw in a bearing as well to smooth it up. In the very least the white is waaay easier to work with than back in the day. Looking forward to see what comes next. In the mean time I need to do some catching up on the Sunder and seeing what you've been up to.

Yeah it's worth a go as when the paint is "working" it's nice and as you say a lot easier than back in the day... I don't think this scheme could exist without the foundation/base paints :lol: I feel like the chalky stage is inevitable eventually though, if it gets to that stage I get a new pot. No ideal but it only really happens when the pot is mostly gone and I'd rather get a new one than bugger up any models :P

I have a few units on the metaphorical cards I want to get to next for my CSM: Lord Disco, Chosen, Raptors, but also got a few other ideas floating around like an Executioner and Summoner. Next project is probably another army though, so I'll have a bit more time to think.

Thanks Rumi, when I did my first daemon engine in the Maulershrimp I was worried I might have painted myself into a corner with my established daemon skin colour on vehicles and the like but fortunately it works :smile.: I did consider using the alteration I use for Marines (darker recesses) but I didn't because I thought I wanted the "Marine origin" daemonic to be a bit different and these wouldn't be from Marines like the Daemon Prince and Obliterators are.

The transfer thing is turning out really well, to think it only started when I got fed up of not finding good space for them and making do on the Dreadbrute! I've been reviewing some of my models for more transfers, I think the purple Slaanesh symbol works well with the scheme :smile.:

I've started on the base for the Spidershrimp, the texture is all set now ready for some finishing this week :tu: