I think the purple symbol goes great on the white, but I think I should be judicial in use so it's not overused. For example the white and black ones I'm not sure will work on the melon, but maybe I can give it a try.

That can all come later, for now I have applied the water effect to the Spidershrimp's base so he's finished now :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_53741.jpg

Or rather once it has set, maybe I'll get a family shot alongside the Maulershrimp when it does :smile.:

Sadly so, but that just means more time to get additional models ready for when they do :tongue.: I have the KoS as my big/slow burn project currently, and I've started work on my Dark Eldar repaint but there's still room for one more project. I'm leaning towards the first Chosen squad as a few ideas are brewing for them :)

• 1 month later...

Now I've finished other projects and reset my hobby decks I'm back :biggrin.: As planned - and seemingly well timed for 9th? - I've got my first squad of Raptors ready for priming:

gallery_30308_10249_50934.jpg

I've also found a Marine who has sat around for a while, he's magnetised and I didn't have any Chaos shoulder pads to hand when assembled so he's getting the attention he deserves now:

gallery_30308_10249_50815.jpg

I expect I'll finish him soon as progress aside with the temperature I'm not sure when I can steal some priming for the Raptors. As a general update on the armies that have flown the nest the Keeper of Secrets is done:

gallery_30308_10249_821.jpg

Daemonette for scale :tongue.: I've also been steadily making progress on my Thousand Sons, having reached the (very poor) Battalion milestone:

gallery_30308_15068_32491.jpg

2020 is the year of Chaos! Which on reflection 2019 was, and 2018 too... actually most recent years now I think about it?

A fair few; Spidershrimp, 9 Rubrics, Keeper of Secrets, 10 Warriors, 10 Wyches, 5 Stormies, Tempestor Prime, Ironclad... think that's everything? Quite a few models without including the extra work and scale required on preparing/colour schemes/fixing/GSing. So if nothing else keeping productive :tongue.: My new hobby method helps of course (which I will always promote!) but with all this extra time might as well put it to good use.

I'm hoping the Raptors won't take long to finish as there's some other projects I'd like to move on to. I want to get more Termies on the table, and keep thinking about a Lord Executioner kitbash but the Chosen are also something I want to get started on properly. Doesn't matter how much time there is, it's never enough :lol:

Add a Marine to that total :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_24219.jpg

Nice day for priming so the Raptors have made good progress already:

gallery_30308_10249_93623.jpg

I'm experimenting with these to see if I can increase the efficiency of the method, going to see if it helps to leave the white as just the initial general coat to do it fully later on :smile.:

As a rule of thumb if something looks really good: I didn't paint it :laugh.: The plain shoulder pad felt like it needed something, and since the model generally was a bit clean I thought of another transfer and trying out the black version. I was looking at the smaller one but it felt a bit too "normal" like a chapter symbol or something and since I've been messing with transfer placement already this seemed an obvious solution :smile.:

With the purple and black transfers working nicely I think it's safe to say I'll be rolling this out some more. Maybe try the white one on the melon side at some point, it should be opaque enough to cover.

Made good progress on my Raptors they're almost finished, couldn't quite reach the finish line this weekend:

gallery_30308_10249_83227.jpg

For some reason the colours seem a bit out but not a big deal for a WIP shot. I've done some blood splatter to spice them up a bit the jump packs are the main work left now. The eyes and plasma with the odd detail won't take long along with the bases :smile.: I'll see about some transfers too and maybe some scorching on the jump packs, should be ok to get all that done here and there in the week :thumbsup:

This will empty my queue again, I'm thinking some Termies next. Or maybe the second Contemptor. I do have another spare slot on my hobby decks so maybe slow burn work on the Chosen? If I can't decide I'll roll a die :laugh.:

Thanks, the toothbrush flick works well there and you can top it up a bit here and there with a brush. The blood doesn't show up as much on the melon of course but I'll try for better pictures when they're done :tu:

Made some progress in preparing the next project for the Sunder:

gallery_30308_10249_47029.jpg

Not decided on the weapon for the last one yet, and I may adjust the gun arm on the model next to him. I was trying to spice the angles up but now they're all together I'm not sure it works. It'll be easy enough to adjust at least :smile.:

I feel like the next project for my CSM will be the second Dreadbrute but I'll see. By the time these are done might have the full reveal for the start of 9th and I might want to adjust. I've got my eye on some more Daemonettes too. Never enough time :tongue.:

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone thought I had forgotten the new mantra of hobby, the Raptors are done - better late than never!

gallery_30308_10249_52000.jpg

The jump packs made for good empty space for a couple of transfers, I tried a white one out and it works great. I think the last time I tried a white transfer was many moons ago and the transfers are so much better now. I also did some scorch marks on the jump packs which helps round them off, even if this means I now have to do it for all other ones :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_38260.jpg

Plus an attempted close up on the splatter, never seems to come out well in pictures unfortunately :confused:

gallery_30308_10249_50567.jpg

Took a bit too long to get these over the finish line, I'll see where the weekend takes me for the Termies... Now I have some jump troops it's time I went back to Yjun and give him his magnetised jump pack (you can see it skulking around in the background in previous pictures). Considering I originally imagined him as a jump lord this has taken quite some time to get to :laugh.:

After the Termies I will see where I stand, but I should get to the Chosen sooner rather than later. Perhaps the second Dreadbrute as a smaller project and something a bit different before jumping back into more troopers but we shall see.

Thanks guys, yes these are mostly the MkIV Assault Marines from FW. I have another box plus of course other bits and pieces to make more, I imagine I'll end up with maybe 20 in the end but in this case I felt I couldn't open a box and not use most of the parts :P

Been a bit of a slog finding the time, they sat at almost done for a while but all progress is good progress. I'm hoping to get the Termies primed this weekend, but hopefully get at least the white base on. I need to decide on the last weapon, though I gather that weapon points have been streamlined so the entire point of getting cheaper Terminator options seems to have gone out the window... :sweat:

They do look really nice - I'm glad transfers have gotten better, as I last used them when I was in my teens (many, many moons ago) and gave up as it was easier to just paint whatever it was I wanted.  You make me want to have another go at it.

I think you should paint at least one more raptor, because... well, 6 and all. :)

Thanks! Yes I was avoiding the white ones in particular but the transfers of yesteryear are, well, in the past :P I'd barely touched transfers since especially as a DIYer but they're well worth a fresh look Rumi :tu:

There will definitely be more Raptors, I think before they get a game would be best otherwise five running around will probably struggle. I need to get the Termies primed at least but I'm stalling on them :( I will try and rectify this soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Taken a little while but they're done:

gallery_30308_10249_11616.jpg

Good to get them done finally, I'll be taking a break from power armour (and Terminator) for a bit for other projects. One of them will probably be another squad of Daemonettes I reckon, but I'm getting close to that Terminator list I wanted. That said with the changes to 9th it has gone out the window so I have drafted up a replacement:

Hidden Content
+++ Kindred 1500pts (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [11CP, 1,494pts] +++

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [11CP, 1,494pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle-forged CP [12CP]

Gametype: Matched

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ Stratagems +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [105pts]: 2. Intoxicating Musk, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [108pts]: Combi-bolter, Delightful Agonies, Force stave, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Slaanesh, Raiment Repulsive

+ Elites +

Helbrute [133pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon
. Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

Helbrute [133pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon
. Helbrute fist: Combi-bolter

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [163pts]: Butcher cannon, Combi-bolter, Hellforged deathclaw, Mark of Slaanesh

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [168pts]: Combi-bolter, Hellforged deathclaw, Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon

Terminators [179pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Terminator: Combi-melta, Power fist
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
. Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword
. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

Terminators [155pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power axe
. Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power axe

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [140pts]: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh

Obliterators [210pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 2x Obliterator: 2x Crushing fists, 2x Fleshmetal guns

I only have 2 squads of Terminators ready so gaps are filled elsewhere - I'm only short on one Dreadbrute and one Contemptor which isn't bad :smile.: I will revisit the list for adjustments later (probably mix up the Termie wargear choices) but it'll work as a goal for now :tongue.: