Trim is eternal when all life is extinguished and even the dark gods themselves are gone... the trim will remain :tongue.:

Check back a few pages in the topic Angel, you'll find plenty more models and batreps :wink: I'm not a very fast painter, but I can get a fair bit painted over six and a half years of regular work :laugh.:

So what exactly was it that you were missing for your Defiler and your friend was able to provide - the engine and exhaust?  If so, its already remarkably close to your colour scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on my Defiler and we're finally starting to reach the end:

gallery_30308_10249_31595.jpg

The wash mostly done and the white layer too, so the core model is only waiting on final details. I plan on applying some varnish once the transfers are ok across various parts of the model as it'll need some protection from the rigours of gaming and transportation. The remaining wash bits will be done along with final gluing, so the next thing is the smaller bits like horns, teeth and lenses etc.

That said I still need to figure out what I'm doing with the daemon face on the back of the torso, so a little while off that final hurdle. I reckon I can complete the model next week :smile.: The exhaust piece has been cleaned up ready to be primed with other bits so everything is lining up :thumbsup:

Thanks! I thought about gold for the face but that would be too much, there isn't anything like it on a model I've done so I don't have anything to reference. Maybe paint it as daemon flesh if I can't think of something else?

I do keep thinking about a Heldrake but I should hold off on that. Aside from being a new model it's also a large one and I think I need a break from larger models. I'll get the Executioner done then see what comes next though I expect I'll have some time to decide as I'll very likely use the opportunity to mix things up with other army projects :)

I'm interrupting progress for some exciting news: I got a game in :tongue.: I've also primed the exhaust ready for painting too but that's less interesting I'm sure. I was hoping to get the Defiler done ready but I realised quickly that wasn't achievable but I had a backup list prepared. As a reintroduction to 9th we kept things simple without secondaries even if it was a larger 2 vs 2 with 2,000pts a side.

The Sunder 1000pts

Hidden Content
+++ Sunder 1k 9th Return (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [5CP, 1,000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [5CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot [10pts] +

Dark Disciples [10pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 2x Dark Disciple [10pts]: 2x Close combat weapon

+ HQ [170pts] +

Chaos Lord [90pts]: Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw [10pts], Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

Dark Apostle [80pts]: Benediction of Darkness, Blissful Devotion, Fatal Sonancy, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops [445pts] +

Chaos Space Marines [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [24pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power sword [5pts]
. 7x Marine w/ chainsword [98pts]: 7x Astartes chainsword, 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon [24pts]: Meltagun [10pts]
. Marine w/ plasma pistol [19pts]: Astartes chainsword, Plasma pistol [5pts]

. Aspiring Champion [24pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power sword [5pts]
. 7x Marine w/ chainsword [98pts]: 7x Astartes chainsword, 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon [24pts]: Plasma gun [10pts]
. Marine w/ plasma pistol [19pts]: Astartes chainsword, Plasma pistol [5pts]

Chaos Space Marines [115pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [17pts]: Bolt pistol, Combi-bolter [3pts]
. 7x Marine w/ boltgun [98pts]: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Boltgun, 7x Frag & Krak grenades

+ Elites [140pts] +

Helbrute [140pts]: Heavy flamer [10pts], Helbrute fist, Mark of Slaanesh, Twin lascannon [20pts]

+ Fast Attack [95pts] +

Raptors [95pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 2x Raptor [30pts]: 2x Astartes chainsword, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Raptor Champion [25pts]: Bolt pistol, Power fist [10pts]
. Raptor w/ plasma pistol [20pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts]
. Raptor w/ plasma pistol [20pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts]

+ Heavy Support [140pts] +

Maulerfiend [140pts]: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh

For such a game it was always going to be about closing the gap, easier said than done as always :tongue.: The objectives circle the centre area so that is where most of the scrapping will be but there is some potential for flanking action as both sides prove with speculative wings for deployment.

gallery_30308_10077_46585.jpg

With first turn and being much more short ranged we take it and move up the board. I pull in my right CSM squad behind the BL blob as that's not a battle I feel we can win at least directly, the aim being to do more of a banana run approach and perhaps peeling off to the centre if needed. The Maulershrimp advances up the board rapidly as I'm not keen on letting him be shot up before he can do anything and putting some pressure on isn't a bad thing. Shooting achieves very little other than to decimate the Cultists, though we don't have much to offer currently.

gallery_30308_10077_59102.jpg

The opposition don't move a great deal, but fortunately for us their shooting isn't much better so we get off relatively unscathed. With the Cultists returning further up the right flank and the IW pushing it's looking more like we should try and focus out efforts in the centre, especially as the large BL squad can probably do well enough holding the flank long enough for our needs.

gallery_30308_10077_8636.jpg

The Maulershrimp bounds up some more to engage the Necron walker, with the BL and Sunder squads on the right shuffling about. I don't move them up too far as I want to hedge my bets for moving into the centre, but I move close enough for the meltagun... which does nothing naturally. Fortunately we can muster enough firepower to plink off the Contemptor's final wound and it even explodes for good measure. My other combat CSM squad go off hunting Warriors.

It's likely a short trip with them being surrounded but we can't hang around and if they can buy some time it'll help. So far things aren't going too badly, but the Maulershrimp whiffs and otherwise mediocre rolling hasn't made much of the chances we've had. We're in a good position though if we can maintain some momentum.

gallery_30308_10077_65145.jpg

That is easier said than done though. Enemy forces pull back from combat and a lot of models get taken off. I lose the bolter CSM squad and most of the advanced CCW squad (Insane Bravery to keep them around). The Maulershrimp gets to see how good melta is now, the only good news is that they Necron assault unit can't quite consolidate into my Chaos Lord and the BL Marines are holding the right flank all but solo and giving the Cultists a drubbing.

gallery_30308_10077_40070.jpg

So far things aren't quite going to plan. Our Predator is getting battered and I'm a lot of models down but on the positive side the enemy are much closer and it's clearly time to call in our reserves in the Raptors and Warptalons. They drop in the centre aiming to tackle the Warriors, with us thinking that our central elements should be able to handle the Necron heavy hitters who have pushed up.

Lucky for us while our shooting is fairly miserable we pull ahead with some good combat. The Helbrute clobbers what's left of the Necron assault unit and the BL Lord can finish off the Destroyer Lord without much hassle. Though the Warptalons fail their charge this might be for the best as they can potentially move to the right to assist their foot peers. The Raptors can get a nifty charge in thanks to Honour the Prince and do rather well beating some down (Astartes Chainswords are nice).

With us dominating the centre and the IW's Predator crew apparently having forgotten their manual things are starting to look much better. Though we are still facing somewhat of an uphill battle getting to all the shooty enemy squads we can show them what for when we do but most important of all by owning the centre we're also securing all the objective space.

gallery_30308_10077_61327.jpg

The next turn is much as expected with the Warriors pulling out from combat and the Raptors lost. The remnants of the CSM combat squad hold on somehow and the IW Predator whiffs its rolls yet again so things are starting to look promising. The BL squad on the right is starting to struggle as they are now engaged by the IW CSM but we have forces to spare in the centre.

gallery_30308_10077_57947.jpg

While the Violators squad is bogged down by the Scarabs they can at least keep them out of our hair. My CSM squad fails to do much against the Predator (melta failing once more) but they can take it out in combat at least. The lone Champion joins the Warptalons in assaulting the Warriors squad but his help is not needed. Once more with some good combat phases we can not just pull back lost ground but also gain it and the game is all but ours to lose now.

gallery_30308_10077_13161.jpg

Unfortunately time is very much out after this, but with our forces in ascendency and objectives ours to do with as we please the eventual victors are not difficult to see. A hard fought win here, but mostly good for blowing the cobwebs off :tongue.:

9th isn't radically different to 8th but there's enough to count. I can see why people rave about melta, I remember when nobody cared for it and but I stuck to my guns (a shame this loyalty isn't rewarded with effectiveness) :tongue.: Ultimately 9th doesn't change how the army plays, it's still a slog getting into combat but once you do you can make it count.

I'm hoping that when the new C:CSM eventually comes it can do something to make this initial phase of pain less of an issue. 2W Marines should help there so long as they don't get too pricey for what you get (looking at you DttFE), otherwise I need to get to that second Rhino :laugh.: Hopefully I can get another game in soon as I'm keen to get more in for obvious reasons.

Thanks again for the batrep Warrior Fish! A fun read.

Yes, over the years melta has waxed and waned in effectiveness and my various melta troopers just keep on keepin' on.

It's too bad your sides' Warp Talon squad didn't make the charge on the turn the deep-struck. But we can't all be Night Lords. :wink:  Plus, it looks like they did well in the end.

Thanks chaps, it's still very much about the numbers to weather the storm (and remain effective enough once you get there) so I need to get round to more Raptors. A five Marine squad is going to be a one shot missile in most cases. I think it would have been a different result had the IW Predator not been almost completely useless, as while the BL Predator wasn't much of an improvement my Dread proved to be the turning event for the centre as the tough multi-wound Necrons would have been much harder to shift otherwise.

That's the nature of a game of dice though, as I know only too well :lol: Most of all I'm hoping for more games as I felt quite rusty, things like not using Command Points or forgetting useful Stratagems (the Daemon Engine one would have made a big difference to the Maulershrimp), plus there's new models needing games. This was the Raptor's first game I think, they did well all things considered. The Defiler will make for a fine addition to the Daemon Engine pool, especially as it features some decent shooting too which is always in short supply :smile.:

The exhaust is now done, I'm not sure if it's because I've become used to seeing the model without but it feels like it makes a big difference? I've tidied up some bits so ready for the final push:

gallery_30308_10249_1457.jpg

It's mostly the reaper mount left, as I need to decide on ammo belt colours and will glue the armoured plate before washing to make it easier but that's not a great deal of work once I decide. There's only a few lenses and horns so I should be able to start playing with transfers sooner rather than later, I'm optimistic for completing it this week :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy with non-hobby things but I should have some time this weeked at least, the Defiler is so close to completion. I got distracted by some Daemonettes that I could finally strip to reprime after a long time - points for still being Slaanesh? I've got the basics done on them so I will be back on the Defiler, though there's still the Executioner so he'll be my next CSM project.

I need to do a bit more on the filling work for him but as I need to sort a few Tyranids for the Bug's Life event I'll see if I can get him ready to join them for priming this weekend. I will probably look to my Sons after these projects to get my last box of Rubrics done, I'm not sure what might be next for my CSM. I might wait and see what comes up or takes my fancy, I keep thinking about a Heldrake but I plan to be good and work on the plastic mountain. How well that plan goes remains to be seen :laugh.:

Defiler is pretty much painted, just need a little bit more glue and a wash which I'll complete tonight.

gallery_30308_10249_7654.jpg

All the lenses are done, though in this case it's largely invisible due to the mask on top - but here's proof I painted them :tongue.: I'll wait until the model is properly finished before posting pictures, that will need new varnish for applying the transfers so as I'm not sure when I'll be resupplying that makes for a good time to start work on the Executioner:

gallery_30308_10249_4464.jpg

Now primed and given the first base coat, I think the filling work came out pretty good hopefully he won't take long to finish :smile.:

Defiler is pretty much painted, just need a little bit more glue and a wash which I'll complete tonight.

gallery_30308_10249_7654.jpg

All the lenses are done, though in this case it's largely invisible due to the mask on top - but here's proof I painted them :tongue.: I'll wait until the model is properly finished before posting pictures, that will need new varnish for applying the transfers so as I'm not sure when I'll be resupplying that makes for a good time to start work on the Executioner:

gallery_30308_10249_4464.jpg

Now primed and given the first base coat, I think the filling work came out pretty good hopefully he won't take long to finish :smile.:

He’s looking great already WF! I was heartily impressed with mine in game last time we played and I look forward to seeing this guy painted!

Defilers coming along as well, strong hobby brother!

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

Started to make some progress on him, though you'll have to take my word for it the melon is done as the picture didn't turn out great:

gallery_30308_10249_855.jpg

I suppose it has been a while since I took a photo late at night, don't want anyone to mistakenly think I had got any better at pictures :tongue.: I should be able to get a bit more done on him this week but don't expect to finish him until next week, still decent progress though. It's good to work on a single model after the Defiler, nice and refreshing change of pace :smile.:

• 2 weeks later...

"There will be no exchange of names, champion. You are nothing but another soul for Slaanesh."

gallery_30308_10249_46774.jpg

I think he turned out well :smile.: I did toy with painting the laurel wreath gold but felt it would have been too much, plus this works well with his unwillingness or disinterest in relinquishing his former name and role so makes for another link to their once loyal form.

I expect I'll be wanting to get him in to plenty of lists so here's hoping he performs well :laugh.: Perhaps he needs to claim a head like Abaddon's to cement his place :wink: This is it for my CSM for the moment, aside from when I can replenish supplies to get some transfers on the Defiler. That will likely be soon as other paints run out, as far as the next project goes I'm not sure.

Something special might be nice, but since I'm completing old plans like the Executioner maybe I should stick to being good. It was nice to paint something smaller again and Marines are always cool so something like another five Raptors as they need bolstering? For now I'm back on my Daemons and have some Rubrics to get to (and some nids for non-Chaos projects) so perhaps I will see where Slaanesh takes my whims when the time comes.

….as a regular opponent I take umbrage of you wanting to claim Abaddons skull….though it will inevitably happen we both know that! :biggrin.:

Lovely work and a nice reward figure for churning out other stuff to!

BCC

Have enough pops you'll succeed eventually right? :laugh.:

It's one of the reasons I never got round to trying the Murder Sword. When you have something that is all about character hunting I always thought you'd end up with some Benny Hill style chase around the table as nobody would want him anywhere near his target. There is some merit in that, but having a character running around doing little is both not cool and not a good use of the points and relic slot :tongue.: The Executioner should avoid this at least as he's not quite so murdery, and doesn't break any banks :smile.:

Back with a batrep: 1500pts of grudging that would make a Dwarf proud. That's right, another showdown with the Black Legion! :tongue.: This list was extra special as not only have I been slowly working towards it after making it months ago, but it also featured a theme of all my Daemon Engines :smile.:

Sunder

Hidden Content
+++ Daemon Engines 1500pts (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [10CP, 1,500pts] +++

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ Stratagems +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [90pts]: 2. Flames of Spite, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

Master of Executions [65pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Raiment Revulsive

+ Troops +

. Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. 7x Marine w/ chainsword: 7x Astartes chainsword, 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon: Meltagun
. Marine w/ plasma pistol: Astartes chainsword, Plasma pistol

. Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. 7x Marine w/ chainsword: 7x Astartes chainsword, 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon: Meltagun
. Marine w/ plasma pistol: Astartes chainsword, Plasma pistol

. Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Power sword
. 7x Marine w/ boltgun: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Boltgun, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon: Autocannon
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon: Heavy bolter

+ Elites +

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [-1CP, 155pts]: Combi-bolter, Hellforged Dreadnought combat weapon, Mark of Slaanesh, Twin hellforged autocannon

Terminators [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Terminator: Combi-melta, Power fist
. Terminator: Combi-melta, Lightning Claw
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
. Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword
. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

Terminators [140pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power axe
. Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler [140pts]: Defiler scourge, Mark of Slaanesh, Reaper autocannon

Maulerfiend [140pts]: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh

Venomcrawler [110pts]: Mark of Slaanesh

Black Legion

Hidden Content
Lord

- Lightning Claws

- Jump Pack

- Sightless Helm

Executioner

- Axe go chop

Exalted Champion

- Lightning Claw

- Power Sword

10 CSM

- Plasmas

10x CSM

- Plasmas

10x CSM BP/CCW

- Power Fist

- Plasma Pistol

5x CSM

- Power Fist

- Plasma

10x Cultists

5x Warptalons

Predator

- Lascannons

2x Rhinos

Deployment

We ended up forgoing set up after the deployment type, because it was easier especially after a gap since the last game. Plus everyone knew how such matches went :tongue.: I keep my forces up to the line but have some spread, less useful is my opponent loading the right flank after some of my units had gone down. I kept a CCW squad with the Contemptor so he wasn't isolated. My plan was to pivot to meet the flank but without much room in the centre I wasn't sure how well it'd work.

gallery_30308_10077_179968.jpg

Turn 1

I don't get the first turn, and the BL surge forwards. I guess that's my answer for how the pivot will work: it won't :laugh.: Using their special rules they can get some decent enough shooting off and I lose three Marines from the bolter squad, the Shrimp getting lucky and only getting shaved a few wounds off by the Predator. I got off lightly with a more model shooting phase but I can already see problems with my right flank looking like it'll get overwhelmed.

gallery_30308_10077_157172.jpg

With such a bold move from my opponent I can't afford to let the momentum get completely away, so I decide I need to counter attack as much as possible to reduce their effectiveness as quickly as possible. This goes fairly well but short of my hopes and expectations. The Defiler horribly fails to do anything, with 1s to wound for every successful hit... New Model Syndrome strikes when I needed it the least!

I use a Command Point to grant the Spidershrimp rerolls which are used to good effect. With some shooting to soften it up first one of the Rhinos can be destroyed. Sadly this results in the Maulershrimp fluffing rolls but it can do some damage at least. The centre CCW CSM achieve nothing with their melta (as usual) but can plink off wounds and almost kill the Helbrute. This would be the first of several times I forget the -1AP on Chainswords, and +1S on Power Swords...

Otherwise I'm limited in options and don't want to overcommit. My Lord stays with the bolter Marines and I see what comes next.

gallery_30308_10077_137479.jpg

Turn 2

This is where things go less well. I completely missed the Executioner coming up behind the central building, so he pops out from the doorway ready for an easy charge. There is no mighty duel of Executioners though as the Warp Talons arrive behind mine. With great wads of firepower almost taking out the bolter CSM the opposing Lord can easily jump in to engage mine.

My Lord goes down to 2 wounds, and the Executioner badly reduces the centre CSM squad along with the Cultists. It's not all bad though, with Stratagem help the Defiler starts doing good work on the CSM he's facing, the Helbrute is finished off and my Lord reduces his opponent to 2 wounds also. Star of the show is the Executioner who, with aid of a Stratagem to let him make extra swings chops the Warptalons down to one! Had I remembered his Mortal Wound on a 6+ to wound there would have been none left.

With the Warptalon whiffing his rolls and the Spidershrimp and Maulershrimp reducing enemy numbers things are looking up, even as shooting plinks them down.

gallery_30308_10077_172711.jpg

With a good combat phase to build on I can start moving forwards. I pull the left CSM combat squad back in to help in the centre, and the Contemptor continues its advance on the Predator despite taking hits. It's also time to call in the Kindred as what will surely send me on my way to victory... I pull a favourite trick and Daemon Shell the remaining Warptalon so my Executioner is free to charge his peer.

Terminator fire isn't very effective but their combat prowess is what counts. The axe squad (off picture below) can't reach, but the other squad can and get stuck in to the Rhino. The Defiler wins combat and consolidates into the Exalted Champion and crucially both duels end with the Sunder's easy victory (those Mortal Wounds really round off the attacks!).

gallery_30308_10077_212440.jpg

With the Kindred in play and BL units on the way out my opponent concedes to give a solid victory to the Sunder :smile.: It was great to get a game in again, but all the more so at 1500pts and with two new models and all my Daemon Engines :biggrin.: I was lucky in that my opponent's gambit didn't pay off, I think it would have worked better if it wasn't perhaps quite as bold. It threw a spanner into my plans that could have made the game quite different.

The Contemptor was a poor performance indeed, but if that's what it cost to give the Predator one too I'll take that trade :laugh.: I think that was one of the important parts of the game: the Predator could have changed the outcome easily were it not for some poor rolls. If I had lost my Executioner and Lord it would have been a bit of an uphill fight with the Kindred. That's how games go though; a different decision here, less ire from the dice gods there...

Another batrep to come shortly :smile.: