It's coming along very nicely, it's nice to be painting CSM again and remembering how nice a kit this is:

gallery_30308_10249_2639.jpeg

With the melon wash done only the white to go then I'm on the final slope with the metallics and details, so all going well a finish next week perhaps? Next project needs some GS work so that won't be ready in time, I'll need to think about another project instead...

I like what you've done on it so far - with minimal changes, you've definitely made it look like it could be a hellbrute.  In particular, I like the colour you did in the arches - to me, they definitely look like speakers now.  Not sure if the ones on the gun will produce the same effect, but I look forward to finding out! :)

Good timing Rumi, it's as if you've summoned the completed model :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_22472.jpeg

I've been working away whenever I can and before I knew it I was almost there, so an extra push saw it done :smile.: Aside from always liking Dreads it's good to have another source of long ranges AT (and close range) so this will help my lists out :thumbsup:

Plus there's that Kindred list I've long planned where it's all Elites - one step closer! I'm working on my next event vow I need to get some more done before it is ready for painting and vowing, hopefully earlier next week.

Little known is that I am a paitned minis sorceror - in the blink of an eye I can summon painted models into peoples armies. :P  Now, if I could only do that for my own. :sweat:

Looks great - and its good to see the arches in the arm were as effective as the ones on the torso.

Did the model come with the missile launcher option for the left arm?  If so, you might want to do that up as well, as it gives a bit more anti-tank kick.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Sadly no missile launcher - it's the drawback to the Venerable kit :sad.: There is the plasma cannon you can slot in instead of the lascannon but I've not painted the first up as the lascannon is far more useful for me. I might be getting a spare from someone though, but if not the gun/ccw build has long been a favourite of mine and lets them be more flexible in support to the infantry which suits a Slaaneshi force as it will usually close with the enemy :smile.:

I checked the list, things have changed a bit since I made it, I'm the second Contemptor off and what looks like another couple of Terminators. Unfortunately I foresee the new codex before I can get round to these but chances are strong that point increases would mean I can field the army with what I have then anyway?

I've been working on a project - not the one I had planned though :laugh.: I will see what I'll do depending on progress...

Here is it; a second hand Rhino I got. It was assembled as far as the chassis goes but needed some work to bring it up to scratch. Whoever built it - I hope your torrid love affair with glue hasn't ended badly :laugh.::sweat:

gallery_30308_10249_75800.jpg

Fortunately it was mostly just a case of removing the roof part, as you can see here the inner parts weren't cleaned properly so it didn't sit right. This also gave me the opportunity to pop in a magnet as with the first Rhino:

gallery_30308_10249_4702.jpg

So with the main assembly redone that leaves the extras:

gallery_30308_10249_3888.jpg

I wanted to modify the storm bolter so it was a little different, but when fishing out some MkIII I saw a Tartaros chainfist attachment and had an idea :tongue.: The main task now is the milliput to do the final fixes and fill the gaps, drilling the exhausts out won't take long then ready for priming :thumbsup: I'll see how my other project goes too, perhaps get them primed to work on together if I'm lucky?

Now ready for priming:

gallery_30308_10249_67664.jpeg

The gap filling went well enough, a more even finish wasn't going to be possible with what I had but at least I know it's better than it was when I first got it :smile.: I'm hoping I can get this done quickly - vehicles being my speciality - as the other project I have is nearing completion, need to look at a bit more before it's ready so if all goes to plan this will keep my paint brushes busy until then :thumbsup:

I've had this sitting around for a while so it's good to be finally painting it, in case anyone has forgotten my plan was to get a couple of Rhinos done so my idea of two Chosen squads riding in style can be done. I say style but I really mean safety :sweat: Though with the upcoming changes maybe two full squads of Chosen might be a bit OTT... but there's rule of cool to consider :laugh.:

Of course, when the Rhinos are done that means the Chosen should follow soon after - I'll need to do a bit better than the 1.5 assembled models I have done :tongue.:

In case anyone doubted my vehicle speciality, progress is swift:

gallery_30308_10249_69558.jpeg

I might not be good at details, but large flat surfaces? I can do them :tongue.: Without lots of trim and other details that means once the last of the white is done I'm most of the way there :biggrin.: So much for working on this as I complete the next project, but I suppose focusing on that as my only Chaos goal is a good thing too.

The other thing is that I've got the CSM bug again, so my other armies may need to look on until it passes...

Thanks Tallarn, I'm on a roll at the moment :tongue.: My follow up project is almost ready, last bit of GS work needed but as a bonus I've also returned to the Chosen so hope to have a small starter squad ready soon :smile.:

Champ aside it'll be a few bolter billies as we'll need to see what the options are in the new codex for any particulars, I'll build them when I know what I'll be doing. As a rule of thumb about five standard load outs per squad is good I think to help keep costs down but keep some numbers.

Yes, if the rumors are true and each Legionaires Squad can take:

-heavy

-special

-champion's weapon(s)

-Tome

-Two-handed chain axe

Then the 5 other rank and file squad members will be key to keeping the points cost somewhat reasonable. I'm excited about Legionaires but I hope the points cost is fairly reasonable (eg 220 to 240 points for a fully-kitted out 10 trooper las-plas squad).

I think Chosen will have more choice, I'm hoping that my plasma pistol Marine can stay for my Legionary squads. Since we're on a roll, up comes Lucius Arthiniel the Wolf:

gallery_30308_10249_36523.jpg

The whip is what I snipped off the Escher leader, recycling is important even in the 41st Millennium. I pinned it so with the GS gap filling it should be very secure!

gallery_30308_10249_15896.jpg

The hair was a bit of a task so I'm glad it'll only need doing once, the resemblance hopefully needs no further introduction :laugh.: Last and very far from least is at long last the start of the Chosen:

gallery_30308_10249_95982.jpg

A bit of filling on the hair at the back is all that's needed after some careful clipping and cleaning, just as well as I have enough helmets for 20 Faith Takers :tongue.: The plasma pistol arm is magnetised of course, but a fist is important for some heavier hitting on more expensive squads I feel. Plus it's nice to have something different to the Sunder's traditional sword :smile.:

I hope to get time to prime them and perhaps some early coats this weekend, if not there are a couple of lore pieces to add at least. Commiserations to my other armies continue... :sweat:

Maybe a cheeky priming later today if I can squeeze it in, weather needs to be a bit warmer ideally. In the meantime Arthiniel needs an introduction:

Arthiniel the Wolf
Arthiniel is unusual in that he was not raised to post-humanity by the Sunder - strict as they are on their notions of purity; he was already a battle hardened Marine when his path crossed with Yjun's. The exact nature of his recruitment was, like many of the Praefactor's dealings, shrouded in secrecy but none could disagree with his suitability in eagerness and temperament. Sharing Guilliman's geneseed too many felt he was such a natural fit that he may as well have always been of the Sunder, and to the more devoted members of the warband this bond was already present for they claimed he had long been guided by Slaanesh.

He quickly made himself at home and showed his skill at arms was no less than expected (or demanded) - enough that he earned a place in Yjun's personal cohort, a feat difficult enough normally and more impressive still so soon. From here he became something of the Praefactor's hand, wherever Yjun could not be (for even one as great as he can only be in one place at a time...) he could be despatched and reliably carry out tasks.

When Yjun needs a worthy foe kept occupied without harm until he may grace them with death it is Arthiniel who duels them until his arrival. If an enemy commander needs to be taken alive; Arthiniel brings their limbless form in without fail, cruelly bound by the lash whip he wields with as much talent as his sword. It was a common joke that Arthiniel is the only brother Yjun can fully trust not to claim a worthy head for himself in the thrill of battle, but in time it earned respect - after all, his prideful brothers had to admit he could do something they can't.

"Yjun's Wolf" is a name given out of this respect for once his bite is felt it does not let go, whether it is your leg or throat. While he may not reap as much personal glory as others even the most stubborn of veterans knows that the ability to dictate any duel to Yjun's requirements is a display of raw skill far beyond merely being able to win. That and of course the hand of Slaanesh that grants him even greater speed and skill - who is it to doubt the grace of a god?

Arthiniel is done, ready for a game this weekend:

gallery_30308_10249_15204.jpg

You should be able to make out both scars on him, enough that all the references should be more than enough :laugh.: I think he came together well in the end, though I managed to take subpar pictures so you'll have to believe me when I say he looks a bit better in reality...

I'll aim to get the second Dreadbrute in too, but at 1000pts I'm not sure if I can put in both Rhinos on top as I might run out of points for things that actually kill stuff :tongue.: I'm hoping Lucius gets some improvements in the new codex, I've heard the opinions on his rules - and that you never hear of him used in games says the rest :sweat:

I've made some progress on the Champ so the Chosen shouldn't be too far behind once I get started on them, aside from the long wait for them (since 2018...) it's nice to be painting Marines again so I'm looking forward to getting to work :thumbsup:

Looks good!  Not sure if you've done this already and it just doesn't show up on the photos, but using a darker shade (so, grey on the white side, dark red on the mango side) to trace the various indentations and lines on the armor (so, the abdomen ridges and the where the feet meet the legs) would really help the model pop and bring out its details.

Quick batrep for Arthiniel's first game, the new Dreadbrute's too:

To keep things simple a central objective was the goal, especially as it is a smaller game at 1,000pts. Deployment is fairly simple as my army is, as ever, wanting to get into close combat. There's a lot of lascannons going on so it's a good thing I have a second Dreadbrute now to bring some more of my own:

gallery_30308_10077_151706.jpg

Luckily I secure first turn, and most of my army advances up. Bolter fire from the HW squad is decent as it can do some damage to a couple squad but the main dish is the lascannons managing to take out a Predator - but only just! That's all you need though and makes for an excellent start for me:

gallery_30308_10077_113527.jpg

My good fortune seemed to continue as the Maulershrimp was shrugging off shots for once, though this sadly doesn't last as while he can survive the shooting phase my opponent's Lord's mace can finish the job in combat. Such is the fate of the Maulershrimp it seems...

gallery_30308_10077_32602.jpg

Overall a good enough first turn, as while the Maulershrimp would have done good work I still have my lascannons for AT and the HB and AC in the bolter squad so there is plenty for me to use. Arthiniel and the left CCW squad have no problem lining themselves up for a charge as the rest of my army pushes up on the right:

gallery_30308_10077_27037.jpg

The right CCW squad advances in a hope to get to the CSM squad so they can't obstruct the Dreadbrute from hopefully reaching the Predator. This might need to be more important as my lascannons can't do so well this time but taking 4 wounds off isn't bad. Combat goes very well as 6s pop up like they're going out of style - Arthiniel gets 10 attacks which is more than enough to take out the Lord and the CCW's attacks balloon further so the centre objective is now mine and I have a very healthy advantage.

gallery_30308_10077_154428.jpg

Things don't go quite as well in my opponent's turn, as the CSM squad moves up to shoot and charge. Arthiniel heroically intervenes to help but this can't save the CCW from being mauled badly. Two survive and I use Insane Bravery to avoid a roll and keep them in the fight - but in a 3 vs 3 with one of my models being Arthiniel I have every expectation of victory. Despite losing a Dreadbrute to lascannons things are looking very good.

In my turn shooting can finish the remaining CSM off, and my right flank CCW squad can charge to defeat their opposite numbers with another bucket of dice. Unfortunately my attempts to reach the Predator fails, but that's to be expected when fishing for 12s :laugh.:

gallery_30308_10077_74540.jpg

My opponent calls the game here, as a quick one no point in playing out the obvious ending. Not a bad result for Arthiniel's first game, though the caveat is nobody got to direct any attacks at him so it wasn't a full picture. I did feel the difference in having another set of lascannons as it was no small part of the win. Aside from having the extra to help take out a Predator before it could act it also meant I still had some long ranged AT after losing a Dreadbrute. Two's the charm :tongue.:

While it was only a quick basic game it was good to get two new models on the table and see the benefit. I'm wondering if this might be my last game with this codex, if so not a bad way to see it out :smile.:

Thanks! DttFE really paid for itself in this game as my CCW squads can muster quite a few attacks. The left CCW squad got an extra nine hits on their charge - can't complain with that sort of rolling. I had good rolls most game I'm much better at rolling 1s than 6s usually, though I did get snake eyes for a lascannon's wound rolls in the second turn :tongue.:

Since adding the Dreadbrute has worked out so well I have a nefarious plan to add some more scope to my lists... but first I need to get back to the Chosen, hopefully have some progress to report later this week :thumbsup:

Making ground on my Chosen:

gallery_30308_10249_20733.jpeg

It has been some time since I did any line troops, although as Chosen they have a little more going on - it's a nice change so as much as it was the plan to get the rest of the Chosen done I'm thinking it'll be the immediate follow up project :D As these will be done long before the new codex arrives I am thinking of another five standard builds for the second squad. Then I can populate with upgraded Marines when we know more :tu:

An indirect update on Chosen, in that I've got a new bits source for future additions. Some running legs and more bp/ccw arms will go far in sprucing them up:

gallery_30308_10249_2199.jpg

Oh, and that Heldrake I've long wanted too. Can't forget that :tongue.: Sometimes the dark gods give you a sign with a good saving to be made, and it would be churlish to refuse such a gift right? :laugh.: Some bonus ruin bits too that will help decorate larger bases so good results all round :thumbsup:

I might do the Heldrake next as I've wanted one for ages so it may be too hard to pass up. I'll see how it goes as ever, I won't be about for hobbying next week but once the first Chosen are done I'll see where I'm at. I'll need to look into magnetising it first, see if the wings can be made more friendly to transporting the model.