Wolves vs Tau/Eldar

climbingcog

Any general advice on what to do against Tau and/or Eldar? Anything different if they go with Tau Farsight? I have played few games against either codex but will be in a tournie this weekend with quite a few armies from each. Would rather not get pasted just because I didn't know about the enemy.

Well you're likely in for a hard time then, as those two armies are the current reigning Kings of Cheese.

But general advice, not knowing anything about army compositions?

Tau: Hit their Markerlights. Without them, they lose many of their shenanigans and, at only BS3, a lot of their shiny guns will be missing. Also, if you can engage them at >30", you'll give them trouble, with the only choices being leave their (presumably in cover) positions to engage, or stand there and get shot. Farsight is problematic though, thanks to their volume of Crisis suits, MSU is probably your best bet, and try to whittle down the suits with S8 hits where you can.

Eldar: Again tricky, as Eldar cheese is varied and intrinsic to the army. Other than hoping the Dice Gods favour you? I can only really repeat  the basics, don't forget the mission, focus your attention on the biggest threats/things that will net you VPs, and trust your own army composition to get the job done.

We have very long posts in this forum about this. This is question that haunts any Marine player.

Let me tell you now: if the players on the tournament know what they are doing then you will need your A-game to beat FSE Tau and Eldar. There are just so many details you need to know when it comes to beating them.

With Tau, do not make the mistake wasting firepower on Riptides. They do nothing without Markerlights. Kill his Markerlights and Crisis Teams. They do the most damage. Tau usually has a low model count, but those models blow you up so prioritize right.

Eldar is super mobile. Do not try to outcap them. You will not. Do not waste firepower on Wave Serpents without ignoring cover and the ability to GLANCE to death. No Serpent has ever exploded.. ever. You want to melee them or shooting with 'Ignore Cover'.

Avoid Wraithknights in melee. Their are S10 I5. They kill you there. Unfortunately, SW do not have many ways to deal with it. Grav is the best option. Consider allies.

This is just the surface of it. I might write up something later on.

My regular home game is against Tau and they are a tough match up for me. I think it depends a lot on what models you have access to, and obviously the list you're going to play. I know they don't like to see AV14, and the wolf fliers cause a lot of problems. I think claws and frost blades help against suits. What you need to worry about is multiple rip tides and multiple missletides which I don't have an answer to.... yet

Ulrik
7 Grey's with MG, PW
WGPL - PF and combi melta
Rhino

Rune Priest- level 2, psychic hood
7 Grey's with MG, PW
WGPL - PF and combi melta
Rhino

5 Grey's
Razorback with TL las

5 Grey's
Razorback with TL las

4 thunderwolves with 3 SS and 1 PF

2 stormwolves with TL MM

Vindicator

Comms relay

We'll be playing maelstrom of war: cleanse and control.

I wondered about putting big squads into stormwolves before deployment and in turn 3 (if they come in turn 2) to charge the wave serpents?

Maybe use tanks to grab points from objectives whilst waiting to pull off assaults?

He has some jet bikes too.

Hm, shield TWC as best you can to get into melee with Serpents. Build pressure with pods and kill things like War Walkers and force jink on Night Spinner. Shoot Serpents with Vindicators and hope it scatters on another Serpents. If a blast scatters on anything but the main target, they can not jink it. Do not put anything in the SW. Use it a gunship.

Try to kill Serpents in melee whenever you can. Use LC spam to bring down Wraith units.

Prioritize right and you can win.

Archived