Only Angels May Fly

Rafen IX

Greetings brothers, an appeal to your collective wisdom.

Setting the scene; I play a lot of 1850 games and this question is directed at nullifying one particular unit. Flyrants, the bane of my life. Typically two of them with the 12 twin-linked s6 shots. I've tried Stormravens, icurus Vengence batteries. The damn things are fully capable of killing a raven with SNAP shots. The rest of his army I can deal with.

Our anti-air against these guys seems sorely lacking.

Thus my appeal to the collective wisdom of the ancients.

R

*cue flight of the Valkyries....* 

When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every mo-fo in the room....

The Fire Raptor - Thats Part A.   One Raptor will down a Tyrant the turn it comes on.  Literally.  The amount of shots it throws down can kill a Tyrant in a turn.

Also, I'm not sure why your Ravens aren't working - Whats your load out?  

Ideally -it should be TLAC, TLMM and the BSs.

Thats enough to put down at least 3 wounds.  

Remember we're no longer limited to 2 missiles per flyer anymore.  So, we can throw down 3 missiles, 1 MM and the AC from the Raven.

If he survives, its likely he's snap firing- which means he's looking at around 4 hits on average - with a likelyhood of one going through.  If he did much more than this in a game, he got lucky.  Play again. 

Failing that, I STRONGLY recommend the Hyperios launchers.  4 of them for 140 points - T6, 2W, 3+ artillery.  BS3, but twinlinked and S8, Ap3. skyfire/intercept.  

Kicks all sorts of flyer butt.

That's exactly the music I had in mind ;)

Fire raptor interesting..,Baal pred/raven conversion springs to mind.

Raven normally has the las,melta, missiles. So normally one missile will miss lol. Then he saves at least one wound and passes grounding. It's not enough to reliably down one I've found.

The issue with these guys is manifold. They have a good armour save against most AA. They can jink for a 4+ and still reliably hit things with snap shots. Psychic dakka. Also sooo manueverable with 360 fire arc and great movement. But that jink on the ground is my personal hate. Still I hadn't considered those options. Mainly because meph is an auto include against him normally, have to use Reclusiarch for raptor I believe.

Excellent shout, I'll playtest chap.

R

I believe a sicaran removes jink saves in addition to that creamy TL H6 auto cannon filled center. I don't know if the AP4 is sufficient. Otherwise what Mortician said.

Sicarans are great. Six S7 AP4 Rending shots along with 9 heavy bolter shots is downright horrific. Considering it is also a fast vehicle, I highly recommend it. They can also get skyfire/interceptor though I am not sure if it is possible outside of 30k.

In my weakened pre-sleep state I overlooked the recommendation on the hyperious air defense battery, Deus sanguinius! Those artillery pieces are insane for the points value.

Thanks to all for replying so quickly and with great suggestions I was unaware of.

Great guys, great forum

R

Archived