Which super-heavy to purchase for FT army

Ovidius Incertus

Not to intrude on Jolemai's thread on the utility of super-heavies for BA armies....

I'm wanting to buy a FW super-heavy that can be fielded as LoW.  I'm very much leaning toward the Cerastus Castigator, which was not in the aforementioned thread, but the Fellblade is also tempting.  Price difference is negligible.

Personally, I'm more intrigued by the Castigator as a model and I like the rules too.  Part of me thinks that the Fellblade is overkill for the opponents I play at the moment.

Thoughts?

I have a Cerastus Lancer and really like it. It's very mobile and the CC play style fits in well with my aggressive BA models. Also, I think the model looks fantastic. 

The Lancer is not the most powerful super-heavy model out there, but it is very proficient at killing other super-heavies, which is very useful in today's meta. Swift strike and a concussive weapon means it attacks first in CC. It also has a 5++ CC invuln save and gives other super-heavies a -1 penalty to hit it in CC.

It is one of the only knights that can shoot a high strength weapon at flyers, which in a pinch can be handy. And the AP2 gun is very nice against terminator equivalents. 

The Super-Heavy thread is simply a review of what can found that's 40k legal at Forgeworld, so don't worry about intruding :) As for the Knights, there are now three Cerastus Knights and two Questoris Knights that can be fielded as LoWs and to fair they'd be better served in their own thread. (Maybe I'll pen one once I'm done with my current set of reviews if anyone is interested...)

As for your question, I feel that for things like LoWs you need a particularly role for them - especially given you often pay a premium for them in points (let alone cash). What holes, if any, does your force have? What is your meta like? How flexible are they with the rules (i.e. would they allow you to take a 30k tank a la ElectricPaladin's suggestion)?

Archived