Word Bearers - Pride of the Legion - 2000 Points

ChaosReigns

Hey guys, I'm considering putting together a Word Bearers army. For the sake of keeping the cost low (relatively speaking) I was thinking I'd go with Pride of the Legion. I've also never run an (almost) all-Terminator army before, and I'm thinking that'll be a nice change of pace from my usual MEQ routine. I'm not hoping for a power build, but I don't want to run something that isn't going to work either. So, just how wrong am I doing it guys? tongue.png

Basically what I'm thinking with this list is simply to rush forwards, get to grips with the foe and (hopefully) rip him to shreds. Kor Phaeron and Erebus would go in the Spartan with the Gal Vorbak, otherwise it's pretty self-explanatory.

Word Bearers - Pride of the Legion - 2000 Points

HQ - 350 pts

Kor Phaeron

Erebus

Elites - 320 pts

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren

+4 Gal Vorbak

Total: 320 pts

Troops - 1012 pts

Legion Terminator Squad

+Cataphractii armour

+Heavy flamer

+3 combi-meltas

+Chainfist

Total: 216 pts

Dedicated Transport: Legion Phobos

+Armoured ceramite

+Multi-melta

Total: 290 pts

Legion Terminator Squad

+Cataphractii armour

+Heavy flamer

+3 combi-meltas
+Chainfist

Total: 216 pts

Dedicated Transport: Legion Phobos

+Armoured ceramite

+Multi-melta

Total: 290 pts

Heavy Support - 315 pts

Legion Spartan

+Armoured ceramite

Total: 315 pts

List Total: 1997 pts

I'd probably be playing standard games of 40k for the most part (I only know one guy who has a Horus Heresy army) so I was thinking I could have the tanks back up to claim objectives. With any luck the enemy troops will be too busy getting eaten by the Gal Vorbak et al. to make use of objective secured.

On flyers - that's a fair point. I'll probably get a Fire Raptor eventually, but any suggestions for the short term? I honestly don't know the Legion army list well enough to know what an efficient solution might be.

The easiest options would be : A Sicarian (since it ignores jink saves) or a Contemptor Mortis Dread with either 2 TLAutocannons, 2 TLLC or 2 TL Kheres Assault Cannons since if stationary they gain Interceptor/Skyfire.

If you're going to be effective you're going to at least 2 of either in any combination so that they don't just get focus-fired off the board before the enemy flier arrives.

Ah, okay. Hmmm...the only problem is I'm not really sure where I'd shave off enough points to include a Sicaran and Mortis Contemptor (or whatever other combination). I could ditch the extra Gal Vorbak and the Spartan in favour of minimum-sized squad and a Land Raider, but then Erebus and Kor Phaeron would be walking, which doesn't really work.

Conversely, I suppose I could drop Erebus and Kor Phaeron in favour of cheaper HQ choices, but that still wouldn't be enough points for both a Contemptor and a Sicaran. Any suggestions?

you could always bump up to 2500 points to include them and potentially flesh out your squads more. Model wise, that would only be a possible maximum of 2-4 more (at most 2 mortis and 1/2 Sicarians.)

Archived