Armoured spearhead.

GrandMagnus

Hi, I was playing a bit around making a 2000 points army with the Armoured Spearhead rite of war. I have a few questions that kept me confused:

1st: Apparently the spartan is the only transport able to hold 20+ models, right?

2nd: If the minimum for tactical squads is 10 marines how am I supposed to include apothecaries in the rhinos? 

3rd: Whats best in a small army, rhinos or land raiders?

1st: Apparently the spartan is the only transport able to hold 20+ models, right?

Not quite, there's the Thunderhawk too.

2nd: If the minimum for tactical squads is 10 marines how am I supposed to include apothecaries in the rhinos?

You can't fit a Tactical Squad and an Apothecary in a Rhino. What makes you think you're "supposed to"?

If you want to take Apothecaries, you need to put them with a squad that's smaller than their transport. That could be a Tactical Squad in a Spartan, or a Veteran Tactical Squad/Tactical Support Squad/Command Squad/Seeker Squad/etc. in a Rhino/Land Raider. There are plenty of options, but Tactical Squad in a Rhino isn't one of them.

Thinking about it, the Kharybdis and the Storm Eagle are both Transport 20 too, so they're options. No cheaper than a Spartan though.

But Armoured Spearhead might not be the Rite for you if you want massed infantry like that. It's more about tanks with a bit of infantry support.

Things that can hold 20 plus units inside them : Spartan, Kharybdis Assault Claw, Storm Eagle and Thunderhawk, as Lucian has stated.

The RoW you might actually be looking for is Angels Wrath since that unlocks Storm Eagles as dedicated transports for Tactical Squads and since they can hold 20 units, you can fit 19 marines + apothecary.

Though that means you can't take any tanks. You can, however, spam Fire Raptors and Storm Eagles (and if you're Raven Guard a Darkwing Storm Eagle) and essentially have flying tanks with lots o' Dakka.

Well, its definetly worth considering. None the less, the prices of both the spartan and storm eagle make my spine shiver unsure.png But well, time to consider my options (or I could go for the WB unique rite of war, that way I can get daemon allies :P)

In regards to your comment about Tactical Squads with Rhinos being unable to take apothecaries due to transport capacity, I think that the idea of the apothecary is to increase the survivability of your less mobile foot based units as compensation for the fact they lack transport.

It also plays a role in making large units less vulnerable to sweeping advances if things go wrong in a combat, which in a Legion army is important.

You might need a few more than two Marines for a foot squad though ;-)

But yeah the 20 man plus apothecary foot squads are reasonably reslient, it takes a lot to chew through them, but they also take up a LOT of space and they move across the board reasonably slowly, so they are vulnerable. However the amount of fire they can pour out is impressive, especially with Fury of the Legion and even more so if they are Imperial Fists; 80 rapid firing Fury shots at BS5..... I have killed terminator squads with a single volley.

With a couple of larger tact squads you then need a hammer unit or two, using the Tact as the anvil.

• 2 weeks later...

Gal Vorbak are pretty decent (I'm not too familiar with WB rules) and maybe Ashen Circle? 

Terminators in a Spartan make for a Pretty big threat and are infinitely more customisable than their 40k counterparts.

Archived