Rapier laser destroyer battery worthwhile?

Ovidius Incertus

Is the Rapier laser destroyer array a good way to get some anti-vehicle into a BA list?

Less than the base cost of a Dev squad to get a Str 9, AP 2 TL Ord weapon--even at C:SM prices.  You can get two Rapiers for less than the price of a 4x las Dev squad.

Lose 12" of range, but gain TL, not to mention ordnance.  High probability of hit, auto-glance on AV 10 with high probability of pen with serious damage (rolling 2x dice @ AP 2), 66% chance of glancing at AV 12. 50% chance of glancing AV 13 and 33% at AV 14.

Ordnance with AP 2 seems to help mightily in the face of the greater difficulty of scoring an immobilized or explodes! result.

Aside from monetary price, is it worth it in game terms?

They are on my shopping list, so yes. That said, as they are static it really depends on what type of list you plan on using.

(For what it's worth, I should have a review of these written up in a few weeks.)

I look forward to your analysis, jolemai.  I couldn't afford to buy one or two in the FW order I'm placing now (curse you, Fire Raptor!), so it will be a while before they find their way to my table.

Am I correct in thinking that neither the quad HB or grav cannon Rapiers are 40k legal?

They are on my shopping list, so yes. That said, as they are static it really depends on what type of list you plan on using.

(For what it's worth, I should have a review of these written up in a few weeks.)

I'd agree with that too - it really depends on what list you're running. BA normally isn't short of anti-tank - Meltaguns, S10 from Dreads, Stormravens, Krak Grenades and/or S5 Furious Charge (for lighter mech). That works for a mobile, in your face list.

If you're planning a more stand-off list Rapiers may fit in.

I look forward to your analysis, jolemai.  I couldn't afford to buy one or two in the FW order I'm placing now (curse you, Fire Raptor!), so it will be a while before they find their way to my table.

Am I correct in thinking that neither the quad HB or grav cannon Rapiers are 40k legal?

Trust me, no cursing needed on the Fire Raptor, its totally worth it ;)

Archived