Solar Auxilia : who/what are they?

MagicMan

I get that they're a guard regiment, but wondered what their background is. I've never heard of them before, but they've been popping up alot recently. Only thing i can find is the description on the Forgeworld site.

Of the myriad regiments and battalions of the Imperialis Auxilia, more commonly referred to as the 'Imperial Army', the Solar Auxilia are amongst the most elite, disciplined and well-equipped fighting forces, widely considered by many second only to the superhuman Legiones Astartes in their military effectiveness in battle.

To me, they seem to be the future version of the MEU (Marine Expedition Unit).

They roll up fast, hit hard and move on to the next target. They are supposedly the best soldiers outside of space marines, but are usually drawn from Terra's trailer trash.

This is pretty much all we know right now

I think depthcharge12 has it pretty much spot on.

An elite army regiment that gets the best equipment available to non-Astartes.

I did hear mention that they have some interesting options such as Rogue traders as HQ choices.

Sounds like a Great Crusade version of Storm Troopers or Astra Militarum Scions, but as in all ways, everything is better in 30k. Like the Legions Astartes, they are afforded much better gear than their 40k counterparts as well as a much more robust (or less stingy?) organization of forces like a true army instead of small, 10 man squads.

And unlike the AM and MT, all their stuff is hermetically sealed for void/hazardous environment deployment. I also hope that they are afforded better than a T-Shirt Save that most Guardsmen get.

They also get volkites. Everything is better with volkites! Even Leman Russ's with a Volkite Turret will be a Thing! 

/insert Oprah Meme : YOU GET A VOLKITE! AND YOU GET A VOLKITE! EVERYBODY GETS A VOLKITE!!!!!!

Pretty Curious as to what Other HQ's they'll be getting besides the Rogue Trader. Done right, they could be a VEEEEERRYY diverse and flexible army.

The upper echelons are generally made up of nobles who are looking to become Planetary Commanders, so in many ways they are in it for profit, rather than the ideals of the Imperium. They are self-sufficient armies in their own right and can lead expeditions without support from the Legiones Astartes, although to make up for their "mortal" shortfalls, they prefer to destroy their enemies at range, rather than risk close quarter engagements.

In many ways, a Solar Auxilia expedition could be considered to be a tier behind a Legiones expedition in terms of military might. They would only call for Legion support if things got really bad.

A lot of assumptions are that it's regiments raised from the solar system.

Personally, I think it's Segmentum Solar. It's rather fitting considering typical 30/40k naming conventions. Imperialis Auxilia, composed of the Solar Auxilia, Ultima Auxilia, Tempestus Auxilia, etc.

But that might just be me getting my hopes up, hoping for an expansion on the Imperial Army that is more than just the birthstar of humanity, but the whole segmentum surrounding it as well.

You're not the only one. I might make mine Republic Clone Troopers or make them special like the ones from Republic Commando. If I ever do get any.

Does anyone else get a Storm/Clone Trooper vibe from the models? I'm considering getting a Las Section and painting them white....

You're not the only one. I might make mine Republic Clone Troopers or make them special like the ones from Republic Commando. If I ever do get any.

I am also tempted to paint some in an off white, clone warrior style. The reverse of the Raven Guard they serve next to.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/Blogs/QOT1023_144VER438G.jpg

From the FW Bulletin. Seems like we might be seeing volkites and power fists soonish?

@ Duskraider -- No... The STC Was discovered by Leman Russ and therefore named after him, but it was found DURING the Great Crusade, as MOST STC's were.

Here is the reply I received from FW on WHAT the Solar Auxilia are.

The Solar Auxilia are a faction of the Imperial Army but their rules that will be shown in the Horus Heresy book 4 can be used to represent any IA regiment that you wish.

Archived