Joining the korps.

I recently picked up my first DKoK command squad and wow these are some awesome models. I've decided to build an army of them. I have a few questions about what to get as their pretty pricey and i dont want to waist money on units that wont see the table. I will be using both seige and assault list.

1. What is the best way to equip my infantry squads?(forlorn hope)

2. Are thud guns and heavy mortars worth getting?

3. Are engineers and grenadiers worth it or should i stick to just infantry platoons?

I'll probly have more questions but this is all i can think of now.

1. Depends on what you want them to do but the main consensus seems to be keep them cheap. A flamer or meltagun. They'll regenerate but their main strength is how many of them you can potentially have (pre and post regen.)

2. Yes and yes. Most DKK players I've seen seem to favor one over the other but both slaughter infantry models. Thudd guns are probably better against densely packed units while the AP4 on heavy mortars, plus the larger blast, helps them smoke medium to heavy infantry that are spread out better.

3. Enginseers are only worth it if you have tanks and Grenadiers are like stormtroopers (Scions) that can't deep strike. Useful if you want a tougher unit but two infantry squads might be better in the long haul.

Sorry about my initial post, wrong unit.

Engineers can take Hades Breaching Drills, right? If so, then yes their useful. IG normally lacks any kind of good deep strikers unless you want Scions. Engineers might be better, especially if they can fit a meltagun or two in there. I really wish I could snag a Breaching Drill or three for myself, just as harassment units.

Im not sold on the Hades breaching drill. The rules are kinda lame. Cool model though. I was thinking of using them with a storm chimera and same with the grenadiers.

Now for the assault brigade would it be better to run several minimum platoons (pcs & 2 squads) or larger platoons?(forlorn hope)

I was also thinking of adding power swords to my sgts and officer just to give them a little more bite in combat. I would get them all back once they return to play.

Well it looks like i won a bunch of stuff on ebay. Looks like i have 10 engineers, 10 grenadiers, another pcs, 2 autocannon teams, and a heavy artillery crew. I'll post my DKoK painted stuff here as i finish them.

The benefit of the Hades isn't the Hades itself but getting you a deep striking squad with a special weapon or two. Especially since the DKK don't have Scions (baring allies) a deep striking unit forces the enemy to play you game more. If the Hades produces any results on its own...so much the better.

Especially with forlorn hope i would field minimum sized platoons as once they are mostly destroyed,a cunning opponent will just ignore those 2-3 guardsmen still alive,preventing you the regeneration of said platoon

The more you paint the better you get, so the best way is to get cracking on some more models! ;) DK are good though, being FW they have fine detail and the no-frills style of the Korps means you don't embellish them with fancy details. They're perfect for a wash or two and will look great for it :tu:

Welcome to playing Guard the proper way.  Since you are running the Assault list, we should start with your HQs.  You will want to either take the Ossuary of the Blessed Dead or Banner of Martyrdom depending on the job you have in mind.  The latter goes very nicely on a second, non-warlord Company Command squad so when they die in an assault, you get a VP from them.  Venner is a neat upgrade, but very expensive, although the re-rollable Ld10 bubble is nice.

No your Troops are either going to be Grenadiers or Infantry Platoons.  Grenadiers are not bad, either mounted in a Storm Chimera or on foot, depending on what else you take.  Now Infantry Platoons are where this list gets fun.  The trick is keep them limited to two Infantry Squads, no more.  I like to throw special weapons in mine and hunker down in a corner.  This way my foe comes to me and no my recycled platoons are right there to help when they come back.  That's the other thing, keep them in tight bunches near the enemy and away from cover so they die easily.

Which leads to field artillery.  The answers here are yes and lots.  A battery of four Thudd Guns is barrage 16.  Yes that means you will be able to walk your templates to wherever you damn well please; that scatter roll is mostly for show.  Pretty good 220 points.  The Heavy Mortar should also be run in batteries of four.  I like carcass shells, sure gets hot is annoying, but shred and ignores cover is great.  Firewarriors, Necron Warriors, Scouts, pretty much anything in worse than power armor has nowhere to hide and just vanishes.  Even power armor and Terminator armor has problems with either due to the volume of wounds you can dump on a unit.  Both are great options and I recommend a battery of four of each one; there's nothing wrong with covering your foe's side of the table in templates.  Also, if your foe is leaving your platoons alive with a couple of stragglers, then aim to a point near the survivors and gleefully scatter on to them, even if they are in the assault.  See, Krieg armies typically can take so much barrage, that shooting into the assault is a viable option.

Now Engineers are not as good in this list as they are in the Siege list since they are not Troops, but it also means that the Breaching Drill is not as big a handicap to them.  Quick history lesson.  Prior the Hades was all that and a bag of chips.  For 50 points it was a large meltagun template, pushed survivors aside and the Engineers could walk on after, but the Engineers were too expensive for what they did, but it worked as it gave the list a means of putting a scoring unit anywhere on the table, something it struggled to do and most Hades simply popped away from the enemy so as to keep the cargo alive.  Then they gave it to Veterans from the IG codex and people flipped as it was insanely good with that unit.  So came the nerf where even after tank shocking it probably you will not be able to place the Drill thanks to the model being longer than the small blast making that -2 mishap (50/50 destroyed along with all transported units) devastating.  It can still be used, but keep your Engineers minimum sized with a special weapon, so a loss on the deep strike is 130 points at most.  Running Engineers on foot is not so bad, although there are likely to be better options. 

Give consideration to Death Riders as they are what Rough Riders wish they could be.  Two wounds, an extra attack, re-roll failed dangerous terrain test, and 6+ FNP helps a lot, so a minimum sized squadrons without losses is hitting with 16 S5 AP3 I5, making MEQs cry.  Best part is they come in platoons which makes them even better as the officer can take a demo charge and issue orders, plus the Death Rider Commissar model is pretty awesome looking. 

Now bear in mind that all infantry heavy weapons are going to have to be fielded in a Heavy Support heavy weapons platoon, so three, six, or nine teams as one unit.  Not bad for mortars as that is barrage <however many teams are there>.  Even the other weapons are fine choices, though the lascannon should be kept small in size.  Looking at other Heavy Supports, the Colossus is a wonderful MEQ removal system and the Medusa does well against Terminators and armor.  Your Leman Russ selection is pretty straightforward although pay attention to the Annihilator as it is a nice tank hunter option while Thunderers are the poor man's Demolishers.  Air Support is nice as well, especially Avengers, although they are all fun.

Hydras are elites so they don't compete for those valuable Heavy Support slots, but they do compete against Griffins, which give you more large barrage in case you feel that you lack it (which all Kreig players do; you simply cannot ever get enough barrage), and Command tanks, which are BS4 spotter Leman Russ and can make your artillery more accurate, although you may not want that so you can 'shoot' into the assault.

Nice part of this list is that with a few exceptions, it is very easy to run as the Siege list too, which is a free pdf on Forgeworld's site.

Give consideration to Death Riders as they are what Rough Riders wish they could be.  Two wounds, an extra attack, re-roll failed dangerous terrain test, and 6+ FNP helps a lot, so a minimum sized squadrons without losses is hitting with 16 S5 AP3 I5, making MEQs cry.  Best part is they come in platoons which makes them even better as the officer can take a demo charge and issue orders, plus the Death Rider Commissar model is pretty awesome looking. 

Listen to this man. Death Riders are what Rough Riders wish they could be. This coming from the man who owns ten and has the bits to make twenty five more.

Hi, welcome to the korps. I think fasha pretty much covered everything I can think of. The only thing I will say is don't give up, just steadily plugging away, buying a unit at a time, painting it up and but another when funds allow. You will soon have a force to be reckoned with.

Yes they aren't cheap but collecting any guard/Astra militarium army is a marathon not a sprint in my opinion. I've been collecting my Krieg for 4 years, though I have has this year off, only painted a unit or two and played a couple of games with them. No 7th ed games so far, that will change this week.

Just keep at it. You will be rewarded with a awe inspiring, jaw dropping army.

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely!

I love that you dare to go down the path of black as a main color. 

I would love to see some nun Oil shade on the grey areas and metallics. Giving it some more life to these excellent miniatures. 

Anyhow, great work on your miniatures so far. Great to see some Korps with some love added to them :)

(oh by the way, clean up the lip around the bases :) )

Thank you brothers for your input. I realized that i had forgotten to do my risa rust weathering so ill do that and take a better pic. I was having lighting issues. As for the base edges i do plan on doing something i just haven't decided what that is yet. Ive been debating possibly color coding them by squad but then i lose squad flexibility unless i make one of each special weapon and like 4 different sergeants. I dont think ill go that route. To expensive.

Just had a bunch of stuff come in yesterday so i should have more korps goodness coming soon.

Well i now have a full painting list so i figured it would be cool to see what people would like to see done first. Im putting the units i have already built and primed up for a vote. What would you like to see painted next? I will paint them in order of popularity. Thanks for your vote.

1. Advancing infantry squad.

2. Grenadiers squad. 10 men.

3. 2x Company command squads.

4. Thudd gun with crew.

5. More engineers. 10 more.

6. 2x Platoon command squad.

Archived