Which red for Blood Angels do you use?

I've seen Blood Angels being painted mostly with Evil Suns Scarlet ... but I also own a pot of Mephiston Red and after looking I've seen some BA models painted with a deeper shade of red (thinking it must be Mephiston Red?)

I just did my first blood angel marine in black primer, evil suns scarlet, and some jokaro orange for highlights. Not sure I like it, seems a bit orange-ish.

Any Blood Angel pros out here, and if so what do you use?

Thanks

The darker red you are seeing is probably khorne red.  When I paint red marines I:

Undercoat in black

Basecoat Mephiston Red

Wash Carroburg Crimson

Drybrush Evil Suns Scarlett (or Etherium Blue for a darker look)

It works well for me and provides a not too dark not too light red.  It also has the habit of sometimes looking like crap until after the wash, but I guess that is just the way Mephiston Red looks.  If you want to see pics I can try and upload some (of both drybrushed so you can see the difference), but they will be smartphone or Ipod quality.

I airbrush most of my BA stuff now. Tamiya XF-7 Red gives a nice neutral red as a base. I Mix it with XF-9 Hull Red for lowlights/shadows, and X-6 Orange for highlights

With a brush I use a mix of Vallejo Red and Umber washes for recesses. Various Vallejo Model Color Reds with a brush for further highlights and glazes if I want to spend some time on the model

I've just finished the armour on the seated blood angel corpse from space hulk and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Undercoat chaos black spray

Basecoat khorne red

Wash all over with (very old) Ork flesh wash

Coat of khorne red leaving wash in recesses

Coat of 50/50 mix khorne red and old school blood red

Edge highlight in blood red.

I'm pretty sure the modern equivalent of GW's original blood red is evil suns scarlet. The Ork flesh wash is not in production any more, but really any darkish green wash will do.

Archived