Pinning resin?

lfhoule

A few weeks ago I bought Kromlech's "Sek'hara, handmaiden of Pain" daemon princess model for my daemon army. Nice sculpt with little prep work needed before painting. The query concerning pinning comes from the fact that, to keep my new daemon princess of Slaanesh on her base (again, resin), I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in her feet (using a manual pin vise) and using paper clip to pin her to the base. I've heard horror stories about resin, so before attempting this, I just want to know if this possible / o.k. to do to resin. This is my first "large" resin figure I'm painting up, and whatever I do with her is probably what I'll be doing with my Creature Caster models when they come in later on.

Thanks in advance.

I ALWAYS pin everything except plastic kits, never had a problem with pinning resin, FW or otherwise.

Actually, I ruined EVERY barrel on a Failcast Van Vet squad attempting to drill the barrels, it was too soft and it kept tearing straight out the side. Feet will be fine though.

Cheers,

Jono

Admittingly, most of the stories around resin (besides the Finecast issues), has been around breathing the dust, which won't be much of an issue because I'm not going to be creating any as far as I can tell. Maybe "horror" is a bit strong, but then again, my only experiences previously with resin figures has been the Lust Demons from Fenyrll, and those were 1 piece figures. As I wrote above, this is my first larger, multi piece resin kit that I will be working on, so any advice before tackling her is always good.

Polyurethane resin, of the kind most resin model kits are made of, is very easy to drill, just like it’s very easy to cut, sand, saw, and otherwise work. Pinning it is no problem at all, and easier than doing the same with a metal model. As for dust, drilling won’t create any — only slivers, and if you manage to breathe those in, people will probably already have told you to inhale less forcefully because you make the pages of their books turns msn-wink.gif

Archived