My marines are asking who are we?

zebbie

After coming a fair way in the background for my BA sucessor, I have started to think about my other boys. Priginally I planned to make them a completely vanilla chapter based off Ultra stock, but now I'm not sold. On anything, I now dislike my paint scheme, find my fluff for them cliche. The only thing I like about them is the fact they are a rebuilding chapter. I have had several ideas (most were canned the following day).

I feel like the chapter not knowing who their descendants of for me feels lazy but I also feel little connection/inspiration with the other legions - part of my reasoning for the rebuilding choice is that I want them to play differently from my BAs - and I dont want to scrap the project as I have spent a bunch of time and money on it. Is there any advice from any one out there?

Especially with the Ultramarines, successors can vary a lot from the primogenitor chapter. And then there is the question how much the chapters that kept the Legion names even resemble the Legions of old.

Look at the Ultramarines and the Mortifactors, or the Blood Angels and the Knights of Blood or Flesh Eaters. At first glance you would not think that they share a Primarch.

So just write down what ideologies, traditions, customs and tactics you would like to have in your DIY chapter. If that corresponds closely to one of the legions, that's fine. If not that's fine as well.

Also that the primarch that made them is unknown can mean many things. It is either largely kept secret from the Imperium (for whatever reason), or the chapter itself does not know, or the chapter does not really care.

As Quixus has said - Ultramarines successors can vary just as much as the successors of other Legions can. An Ultras successor can be just as interesting as any, regardless of whether they adhere to the Codex Astartes or not smile.png

Don't give up on your ideas. Sometimes looking at them differently, or even mixed a few together can help.

Archived