Starting Iron Hands - 1000p

Leoric

Greetings!

So, I thought that before I would order anything from FW I will try to make a starter list. Something like a goal, which I would like to achieve (hopefully within half a year). I will be facing mostly 40k armies (CSM, Orks, various SM, IG, 'nids). At the end I would like to have a rather infantry and heavy based company, because all my 40k armies are mechanized forces.

My first try on a list is the following:

HQ

Legion Centurion/ Master of Signal

Elites

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [2]
Laser Destroyer array [2]

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad [15]
Legion Vexila - Sergeant Artificer Armour

Legion Breacher Siege Squad [15]
Legion Vexilla

Heavy Support
Legion Heavy Support Squad [5]
Autocannons

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank

Total: 995

Every tips and advice would be very appreciated!

If you know you'll be facing mostly 40k armies, I'd substitute the Breachers for a Melta or Plasma Support Squad in a rhino or Drop Pod.

Sicarian is always a solid choice but STRONGLY consider the Armored Ceramite Upgrade to be immune to the melta special rule.

Now, I don't know your meta but, if you think you'll be facing flyers more often than not, consider swapping the Autocannon HS squad for a Contemptor Mortis with either : 2 TLLC, 2TLAutocannons, or 2 Kheres Assault Cannons. Depending on armament, they will also be good Anti-Tank or Infantry on top of being good Anti-Air since they gain Skyfire / Interceptor when stationary that turn.

Contemptors are also more durable than 5 Marines with front AV 13 and a 5++/6++ invulnerable.

If you know you'll be facing mostly 40k armies, I'd substitute the Breachers for a Melta or Plasma Support Squad in a rhino or Drop Pod.

Sicarian is always a solid choice but STRONGLY consider the Armored Ceramite Upgrade to be immune to the melta special rule.

Now, I don't know your meta but, if you think you'll be facing flyers more often than not, consider swapping the Autocannon HS squad for a Contemptor Mortis with either : 2 TLLC, 2TLAutocannons, or 2 Kheres Assault Cannons. Depending on armament, they will also be good Anti-Tank or Infantry on top of being good Anti-Air since they gain Skyfire / Interceptor when stationary that turn.

Contemptors are also more durable than 5 Marines with front AV 13 and a 5++/6++ invulnerable.

Thanks Slipstreams!

But the Support Squads aren't compulsory choices (and they are pretty expensive too). Maybe a second Tactical Squad would be better (Lower model count in a Rhino - though I'm bored with Rhinos)? I really like the IH Immortal Breachers - great models - and the idea of those Heavy Support Legionaries, but I could put them in on bigger games...

Flyers aren't common here at the moment. Although there are people, who have the models, but I haven't played against any since their introducion in the game.

I will try to squeeze that armoures ceramite in the new list.

I will return with a new try tomorrow msn-wink.gif

So, here comes my second try.

HQ

Elites

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought

Two twin-linked autocannon

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad [15]

Legion Breacher Siege Squad [10]
Legion Vexilla

Heavy Support

Armoured Ceramite

Total: 980

Which leaves me 20 points to go. But, then I could trade the remaining Breachers to a min. Tactical Squad with a Rhino and 5 extra legionaries to the footsloggers.

HQ

Elites

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought

Two twin-linked autocannon

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad [20]

Legion Tactical Squad [10]
Legion Vexila - Sergeant Artificer Armour - Rhino

Heavy Support

Armoured Ceramite

Total: 1000

The only thing which is against that list is, that I hate Rhinos, and love the Breachers smile.png But again, that would give me the two compulsory Troop choices, and some mobility.

Archived