Nostraman Runic Alphabet And Numerals Font & FW Runes too

Noctem Cultor

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/NostramanRunicAlphabetBanner_zps607e375b.jpg

Hey everyone,

I have contacted several NL members to help create some threads to help expand the world of the VIII Legion, after pitching some ideas expect some killer threads. Here is my first contribution a Unofficial Nostraman Runic Alphabet (as approved by the Kyroptera) that all players can use to create a unified look on our flayed skin scrolls and oaths that are not in High Gothic.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/NostramanRunicAlphabetSlate_zps2feaf2d3.jpg

Clean Version

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/NostramanRunicAlphabet_zpsf54a9fe0.jpg

As you can see a serpent murderous intent was the aim in the feel. I hope it mirrors the written form in ADB novels

Valmisai, shul’celadaan… Flishatha sey shol voroshica

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/ZaqarStandsInMidnightClad_zpsd3359c52.jpg

A little teaser for you guys.

Enjoy and use wisely (aka where ever it will confuse the Slaves of the False Emperor!)

This is here for my reference and for anyone interested Augustus b'Raass has worked out a Rune Number System as I didn't feel I was having the same luck.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/AugustusbRaassNostramanRunicNumbers_zps0339d7de.jpg

I've been scribbling on a possible Nostraman script. I thought it would be nice to alter the roman decimal system slightly by creating a system based on octanals instead of decimals. Counting goes like this:

1. numeral 1 to 8 (8 functions like the 10 in the decimal and like the X in the roman system))
  2. then octanals of 8 (either 8 or (2-3 x 8)) + (numeral 1-8) until 31
  3. then 32 (which functions like the L in the roman system) as in 32 + (octanals in either 8 or (2-3 x 8)) + (numeral 1-8) until 63
  4. then 64s (which functions like the C in the roman system) as in (either 64 or (2-3 x 64)) + (octanals in either 8 or (2-3 x 8)) + (numeral 1-8) until 255
  5. then 256 (which functions like the D in the roman system)) as in 256 + step 1., 2., 3., and 4. until 511
  6. then 512s (which functions like the M in the roman system) as in 512 + 1., 2., 3., 4., and 5. 
  7. Multiples of 512 are given by simply stating the number of times you want to multiply it and 512 itself. Simple example 4x512. This limits this numerical system to 512x512=262,144, but that is more than enough for the barbaric society as Nostramo 

So the roman V is left out entirely and pre-numeral numerals do not substract from the base numeral but multiply it. For example, whereas in the roman numeral system a 1 before the 10 (IX) would mean 10minus1=9, in the Nostraman system a 3 before the 64 (3'64') wouldn't mean 64minus3=61, but 3times64=192.

I look forward to seeing the finished version and will be using this myself for claw markings.

Very nice and we'll made, but in terms of accuracy, I don't believe Nostramo used an alphabetical system. From what I gathered reading AD-B's Soul Hunter, Nostramon is consisted of runes that mean entire phrases. These runes are made of letters that mean entire words and depending on the way the rune is written, it can present different meanings. I am of course no Linguisticsuch expert, but I think a system like that falls more closely in line with i believe Japanese Kanji. I could be wrong on that estimate though.

no you are correct

but of course they would more then likely have a system with their letters to get the kids started at a young age and then progress to the word system

I hate to say it but this is Pre-K Nostraman Language for us adults...haha

maybe in a few years we can have a system of symbols and runes for the language and from there...but then we would just be loosely translating it at best because it does not translate well to High Gothic...

I mean English

also I too Stand in Midnight Clad

Hey everyone,

I have contacted several NL members to help create some threads to help expand the world of the VIII Legion, after pitching some ideas expect some killer threads. Here is my first contribution a Unofficial Nostraman Runic Alphabet (as approved by the Kyroptera) that all players can use to create a unified look on our flayed skin scrolls and oaths that are not in High Gothic.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/NostramanRunicAlphabetSlate_zps2feaf2d3.jpg

As you can see a serpent murderous intent was the aim in the feel. I hope it mirrors the written form in ADB novels

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/ZaqarStandsInMidnightClad_zpsd3359c52.jpg

Enjoy and use wisely (aka where ever it will confuse the Slaves of the False Emperor!)

I was going to ask who Zaqar was, then read all the way to the down...

Well, technically English is Low Gothic in 40k. High Gothic is Latin, which more or less has similar facilities in the 40k universe in that very few people speak the language and it is merely used in written form for flourish and asthetics unless its for something very important like an Imperial Edict or Ecclesiarchy sermon for the wealthy.

That being said, Nostramon is supposed to have SOME form of root in High Gothic, but from what I can tell that root has basically gone completely out the window based on the examples we've seen of their language in the books. If memory serves me right, AD-B had mentioned before that he took similar approaches to the language as Italian, or atleast in terms of how it is spoken. Given on how it is written in English, there's a lot of 'sss' sounds almost like a snake. My brother is a linguistics major and has learned Japanese. I remember him telling me that Japanese has two forms of written language. I believe one was Kanji which was the older one that was based on symbols and then there was another one that is used more commonly in every day life though the name of it escapes me. I know that one does have an alphabet but if memory serves me right it is based on the sounds and not individual letters. I would hazard a guess that Nostramo might do something similar based on the way it is spoken so the alphabet is based on sounds, not letters

Thanks guys.

@Capitano 

Well done see your already fluent!

Very nice and we'll made, but in terms of accuracy, I don't believe Nostramo used an alphabetical system. From what I gathered reading AD-B's Soul Hunter, Nostramon is consisted of runes that mean entire phrases. These runes are made of letters that mean entire words and depending on the way the rune is written, it can present different meanings. I am of course no Linguisticsuch expert, but I think a system like that falls more closely in line with i believe Japanese Kanji. I could be wrong on that estimate though.

This was an issue I had thought about, but creating such a complex Kanji Rune system is very time consuming and overkill for something painted in 28mm. What is on the list to be looked into is assigning Names to the FW Runes these will have bigger Legion meanings like Nostramo or Oaths, maybe more can be added if there are to many terms. (It was noted some of the NL FW Runes are the same as some Norse Runes like the one below)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/OthalaRune_zps73044b22.png

So yeah if someone is crazy dedicated enough make a full Rune system I welcome it until then, we have a Quick hand system.

Looking great buddy!

Thanks for putting so much thought and work into this. My new contemptor's axe will look even more awesome thanks to you happy.png

Since joining the forum I find myself even more inspired than when I read ADBs NL books.

By the Blood of the Primarch I didn't even think of that. Flint13 let me know as soon as that happens. (Damn now I need to think if a way to steal that idea but make it look Original)

Well done guys.

@Noctus: Actually the fluff would put it that Nostraman should be related to Proto-Gothic, which is whatever the universal language was at the time of Humanity's mass exodus across the stars, as put forth in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. High Gothic is what Proto-Gothic developed into on Terra. All other Human languages are merely dialects of Low Gothic, the most common form of which is what we would recognize as "English".

So Nostraman can actually vary quite vastly from High Gothic as being a Proto-Gothic(or possibly several Proto-Gothic tongues) that evolved and changed according to the specific culture(s) that first colonized Nostramo, as well a the cultures they traded with. It is very possible that Nostraman is to High Gothic as English is to German. Both started at the same place, but one went one way and the other a different way and where once they were in the same language tree, now they are not.

Well done guys.

@Noctus: Actually the fluff would put it that Nostraman should be related to Proto-Gothic, which is whatever the universal language was at the time of Humanity's mass exodus across the stars, as put forth in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. High Gothic is what Proto-Gothic developed into on Terra. All other Human languages are merely dialects of Low Gothic, the most common form of which is what we would recognize as "English".

So Nostraman can actually vary quite vastly from High Gothic as being a Proto-Gothic(or possibly several Proto-Gothic tongues) that evolved and changed according to the specific culture(s) that first colonized Nostramo, as well a the cultures they traded with. It is very possible that Nostraman is to High Gothic as English is to German. Both started at the same place, but one went one way and the other a different way and where once they were in the same language tree, now they are not.

Given that in Soul Hunter they said High Gothic, I think I'll go with that.

That and the idea of High Gothic being a more or less completely new language doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

According to Lexicanum, High Gothic has its roots in the Chinese language.

Anyways, in my personal opinion, a Nostraman rune system would be written concentrically, spiraling outwards, with common words and concepts evolving into their own runeforms.

But that's just my view.

Anyways, in my personal opinion, a Nostraman rune system would be written concentrically, spiraling outwards, with common words and concepts evolving into their own runeforms.

But that's just my view.

I just checked Lexicanum, and I don't see anything mentioning Chinese save for a very small mention of some minor Pan-Pacific influence. High Gothic is basically just Latin with the occasional minor French influence, so I don't see how it could have any sort of root in Chinese.

Hey everyone,

This is really cool, I've just let Forte know to add this to our pin topics.  I'll be really helpful for memeber of the VIII memebers :D

IP

Huh? What? The lexicanum article on High Gothic makes no reference to Chinese at all. Why would it? High Gothic looks like Latin with bad grammar and orthography.

Also I am not aware of a country named China ever existing in the universe.

@vfnpsycho

Good eye, several ideas were discussed with a few other members and the Daedric Runes were put forward as a good starting point.

Flint13 is one of the members in the talks so should be linked to ++The Murderers Call++ thread by now

Huh? What? The lexicanum article on High Gothic makes no reference to Chinese at all. Why would it? High Gothic looks like Latin with bad grammar and orthography.

Also I am not aware of a country named China ever existing in the universe.

Hmmm... Guess it changed since I last read it, but way back when, there was a little blurb saying that it was primarily based on a Asian language, and after much debate involving the local GW employee,  it was decided it was most likely referring to Chinese, based on other clues within the article.

Some of you will be glad to hear im currently working on a Number Rune System (that will take on a more evolving form as mentioned above) so keep an eye out for that.

Runes saying Zaqar on his chest came out well. works best with a nice clear surface.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/PraetorZaqarShowcase8_zpsf62a5d84.jpg

Clearer Picture update

• 4 months later...

I had some free time so I decided to make usable font ot of that runes :D

When I`m finnished I can upload file so you can install it. Maybe someone will find this usefull :3

Here`s work in progress, runes are still bit messy and spacing beetwen them is still bad, but I`ll work on it.

http://orig01.deviantart.net/8a77/f/2015/067/8/3/nostrawip_by_pirokox3-d8kxzaz.png

This is actually really helpful to me. I'll try it on a rhino. Maybe figure out a way to stencil it. Anyone know a good way to stencil? I'm probalaby not going to freehand it. Too above my abilities.

Also @pirokosk yes please!

Font of my Runes is well just awesome. Look forward to seeing the completed work.

As for a stencil, simple print out the runes on thick paper then scapel cut them out. Some will need joining bits left in and then after using the stencils just clean up the missing bits of the runes.

Archived