1. as stated they are not overinflated egotists who deem other chapters unworthy,seem to have the imperium at the top of their list,even though they have thier issues :P

2. assault troops...like having bbq sauce on bbq pork ribs...its just more of a good thing,but even better than expected.

3.i love the color matching of yellow helms on red bodies(looks hella cool and not as hard to paint as a whole imp fist,which by the way are cool too)

4. Death Co - no explanation required.

5. Deep striking landraiders :devil:

mithril

• 3 weeks later...

I played in the last ToS tourney with Chaos Daemons. All Khornate of khourse. What's a shooting army?

Anyway i decided i wanted to try playing the heroes for once but i flat out refuse to use Ultramarines.

Soooooo... what's a close assault, heroic, RED army? And there it was on the shelf. My hand passed over

the other chapter codices and swept up a copy of Blood Angels. Ever since i've wanted them more and more.

The ultimate sacrifice of Sanguinius, the Nobility, the Humility, the Darker side, the Red!

• 1 month later...

1) Blood Angels are one of the oldest marines by heritage, unlike UM's BA's actually took serious losses when defending Terra and its holy Palace. Sanguinius' sacrifice. So in short: Fluff.

2) The cursed flaws bringing red thrist and black rrage. They're not ultra perfect as Ward's Ultramarines, nor they are as arrogant.

3) Highly mobile. Jump packs as troops. Fast rhino-chassis, making rhinos, razorbacks and predators fast.

4) Ball Predator. Fast, battle tank with scout rule.

5) Death Company. The Fluff, the tragedy, the rage and berserk-attacks. DC dreadnought...

6) Sanguine Priest and their abilities to boost regular marines.

7) Descent of Angels, Deep Striking Land marines

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I'm not huge on the fluff as of yet. I guess BA fluff is okay, in comparison.

I don't really care about the colour scheme. It may get me in trouble, but I don't like painting according to the scheme anyway. What is the point of painting your own army if it is just going to be exactly like every other army??

I chose BA because of the wings!!! Spacemarines with wings! I only just bought my first 40k army the other day. Dante and a squad o Sanginary Guard and a pack o Death Squad. Sanguinor is in the mail. As much as I can I want to focus around a core of Sanguinary Guard units because... WINGS!!!

• 2 months later...

With the return of Allies, this needs re-quoting.

The Blood Angels have, without a doubt, the very best Chapter fluff in the Imperium. We aren't all lame and disgusted with our bodies to the point of hacking bits off to be replaced by cybernetics, nor are we all goody-goody blue funboys with no real fluff short of, "Uhhhh... we got our asses handed to us by the 'nids." We aren't scouring the galaxy, searching for our brothers who turned to the dark side and might out us while living in a floating rock because we blew our own homeworld up. We aren't self flagellators in yellow armor, we aren't all albino with schtoopid mutant weirdos, we don't have lame claws growing out of our forearms, and we do not enjoy chowing down on a steaming bowl of dog food and rolling over for a nap.

We are among the oldest lived space marines. We are possibly the only ones who appreciate, and create art. We have a true hero Primarch that died in the service of the Emperor. Our Primarch didn't have canines, he didn't have pallid skin, or one freaky eye; he had wings! He had precognition without dabbling in the chaos arts. The Blood Angels are proud, yet not self-important. They fight as well as any marine, yet at the same time hold themselves back to keep from falling into the abyss of the Rage. I could go on, but I'd be speaking to the converted...

The popularity of marine armies waxes and wanes as GW focuses their baleful eye on each one. While our rules may suffer in light of the current armies, there will always be a core cadre of players who play them because they are just so dang bitchen' regardless of the rules.

Oh, I almost forgot... the Blood Angels are red. Not some fairy lame color like blue or yellow. Not presumptuous goth black, or goth-lite gray. Not green (I mean, green?) or white (coming up with a primary color was too difficult for them). They are red; the color of blood and violence. In other words, the color of why it's good to be a marine!

Brothers, remember who we are and don't get carried away :P

• 1 month later...

I started my foray into GW with a game called, ultramarines.

It was a cut down scout on scout version of Space Hulk

And there were, Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Dark Angels and Blood Angels.

Each has a mini fluff card.

Ultramarines - follow the rules, missed the biggest war ever

Dark Angels - mysterious loss of paperwork, missed the biggest war ever

Space Wolves - raised by wolves, missed the biggest war ever

Blood Angels - followed the emperor on to Horus' Battle Barge and smashed his face in, died heroically

'And there were, Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Dark Angels and Blood Angels.

Each has a mini fluff card.

Ultramarines - follow the rules, missed the biggest war ever

Dark Angels - mysterious loss of paperwork, missed the biggest war ever

Space Wolves - raised by wolves, missed the biggest war ever

Blood Angels - followed the emperor on to Horus' Battle Barge and smashed his face in, died heroically'

This

If you know your fluff, you'll know why they're called Blood Angels.

The human tribe that found Sanguinious were called "the folk of pure (true?) blood", or "the blood" for short

Anyway, expanding on what I said earlier.

Sanguinous was, to everyones mind, the one who would betray the emperor.

He was a mutant.

But he remained loyal, even at the very end, when he stood in the throne room of Horus, just the two of them, even when offered offered the position of prince, second only to Horus, he remained loyal to the Emperor, even as he lay bleeding to death, on the steps to Horus' throne, he remained loyal, and stabbed Horus.

But more than that, we were "Philosopher Kings who strode the starts like Warrior Poets"

We were poets and sculpters and artists.

I am rather annoyed ultrasurfs get relic blades and artificer armour, but we dont!

If you know your fluff, you'll know why they're called Blood Angels.

But more than that, we were "Philosopher Kings who strode the starts like Warrior Poets"

We were poets and sculpters and artists.

I am rather annoyed ultrasurfs get relic blades and artificer armour, but we dont!

I agree. In that line of thinking, we are more "classical" than the psuedo-roman smurfs

• 2 weeks later...

7 Years ago, I got into Blood Angels because of the focus on Melee. Close combat was King in 4th Edition (You could use a consolidate movement to 'charge' a new unit, meaning you could literally roll up a flank without ever getting shot). Running didn't exist and transports could be deathtraps (no such thing as cover saves for Vehicles, they could not gain them at all), so naturally I was drawn to Assault Marines. When I read about Death Company, I was hooked and the idea of a Furioso Dreadnought sealed the deal (although they weren't as good back then as they were in 5th).

Now I continue to play Blood Angels because 7 years of experience has given me a solid loyalty to the Sons of Sanguinius.

With the return of Allies, this needs re-quoting.

The Blood Angels have, without a doubt, the very best Chapter fluff in the Imperium. We aren't all lame and disgusted with our bodies to the point of hacking bits off to be replaced by cybernetics, nor are we all goody-goody blue funboys with no real fluff short of, "Uhhhh... we got our asses handed to us by the 'nids." We aren't scouring the galaxy, searching for our brothers who turned to the dark side and might out us while living in a floating rock because we blew our own homeworld up. We aren't self flagellators in yellow armor, we aren't all albino with schtoopid mutant weirdos, we don't have lame claws growing out of our forearms, and we do not enjoy chowing down on a steaming bowl of dog food and rolling over for a nap.

We are among the oldest lived space marines. We are possibly the only ones who appreciate, and create art. We have a true hero Primarch that died in the service of the Emperor. Our Primarch didn't have canines, he didn't have pallid skin, or one freaky eye; he had wings! He had precognition without dabbling in the chaos arts. The Blood Angels are proud, yet not self-important. They fight as well as any marine, yet at the same time hold themselves back to keep from falling into the abyss of the Rage. I could go on, but I'd be speaking to the converted...

The popularity of marine armies waxes and wanes as GW focuses their baleful eye on each one. While our rules may suffer in light of the current armies, there will always be a core cadre of players who play them because they are just so dang bitchen' regardless of the rules.

Oh, I almost forgot... the Blood Angels are red. Not some fairy lame color like blue or yellow. Not presumptuous goth black, or goth-lite gray. Not green (I mean, green?) or white (coming up with a primary color was too difficult for them). They are red; the color of blood and violence. In other words, the color of why it's good to be a marine!

Brothers, remember who we are and don't get carried away :)

It's the best reason I've read so far. The autor should be honoured amongst these halls for this masterpiece!

Actually, I think Morticon demanded that every true Blood Angel should learn this by heart. ;)

If I remember it correctly, the bolded part below is missing in the quote. :P

They are red; the color of blood and violence and Taiwanese hooker lipstick. In other words, the color why it's good to be a marine!

I hope this is not breaking any BnC rules!

Snorri

• 4 weeks later...

In honor of my 500th post, I wanted to recognize the 'other' reason why I play Blood Angels.

That reason is All of You, the Blood Angels Community on The Bolter and Chainsword.

I browse Warseer, I read Dakka-dakka, I scroll through 40k-Online..... but I don't post in any of those forums. In fact, I don't post in any other forums anywhere on the internet, Warhammer 40K related or not! And the reason is because of everywhere I've read, only here on the Bolter and Chainsword is the community both supportive and mature no matter the topic. The atmosphere is a comfortable blend of tactical wargaming advice, hobbyist painting and modeling support, and background musings for fluff and fun. Disagreements are amicably resolved, debates always follow along logical lines and the moderators are top-notch.

The reason I play Blood Angels is because our Community here at the B&C is the best I've ever found on the Internet.

Cool post CAG, I feel the same.

I am also active on the Chaos part on B&C, but the reactions there to certain topics are a whole different world than here in the BA part.

I think it's because the BA are quite a specific and cool army that the community is allround nicer and more aware of itself.

BA are not the most competative army, but a perfect mix of both. It can be competative and cool at the same time.

A BA Mech list is really nice to have. Mephiston is our loyalist Daemon Price :tu: allround best of both worlds. BA are badasses and goodguys.

In honor of my 500th post, I wanted to recognize the 'other' reason why I play Blood Angels.

That reason is All of You, the Blood Angels Community on The Bolter and Chainsword.

I browse Warseer, I read Dakka-dakka, I scroll through 40k-Online..... but I don't post in any of those forums. In fact, I don't post in any other forums anywhere on the internet, Warhammer 40K related or not! And the reason is because of everywhere I've read, only here on the Bolter and Chainsword is the community both supportive and mature no matter the topic. The atmosphere is a comfortable blend of tactical wargaming advice, hobbyist painting and modeling support, and background musings for fluff and fun. Disagreements are amicably resolved, debates always follow along logical lines and the moderators are top-notch.

The reason I play Blood Angels is because our Community here at the B&C is the best I've ever found on the Internet.

Hear hear. This is true words and I wholeheartedly agree. Well said CAG. Congratulations on the 500+ mark. :woot:

I started for the awesome background and the the fast army some years ago. This board and It's members has assured that my hobby evolves and grows. Thanks guys.

Around 5 Years ago I bought battle for maggrage, painted it up normally and got bored, due to never experiencing a real game. then around 3-4 years ago I got re interested and was deciding between expanding the nids or smurfs, naturally i chose both, I expanded the smurfs to 1750 pts and wanted something different, so my nids were my main army at about 3k pts and 5th edition did not treat them kindly and I got bored of them. After jumping armies for a year or 2, I played a game at GW when the new BA codex came out and the store had an army. I loved the models and the look, and how they played. But kept with my nids, a few months later after deciding i was going to start a new army seriously, I saw Dave from MiniWarGaming's History for the Blood Angels, it drove it home for me.

Now after reading the novels and fluff even more I love my Angels Sanguine as they never show their faces and embrace the rage in their use of Death Company

Now I have around 8300 pts + of BA including a warhound and warlord titan

Trying to find an awesome instance of fluff is fairly easy and every Chapter can boast quite a few of them. However it's often a single piece of background that really triggers one's imagination towards a certain faction. The BAs have their fair share - the most inspiring for me was the piece on p.22 of the Codex Angels of Death depicting the shock and awe and fear normal humans feel when they see a Space Marine of the red variety in action. I was so inspired I went out and bought the old metal Death Company set on the spot! No matter how many stories on BAs were published since, no matter the depth GW and BL has given to the BAs, it's that story that captures the essence of the Chapter perfectly for me.

Personally I'm attracted to fluff that's difficult to like. The sheer brutality depicted on this single page, the barely contained blood lust was made of pure win. So what happened? As I said I'm attracted to background that's difficult to like and the BAs had a hugely redeeming feature: It was not their fault! They had a genetic deficiency to become almost vampiric in nature. They heroically and nobly tried to fight their genes though willpower mostly failing... Can you hold this against them? No, not really... They were not like that by choice. hmmm...

Unfortunately for the BAs, the DAs were in the same book. They were not as savage and they didn't carry any genetic desease - but boy were they evil! They had Chaplains called "Interrogator" and they were using torture instuments by the name of "Blades of Reason". Their elites were as much warriors as a secret police while secrecy, lies and half truths permiated the chapter with the blessing of its high echelons - in fact they cultivated it. Their names were of biblical deamons and they too had a dark secret. Only theirs was a secret of choice. They were doing things because it was their conscious action. Their secret consumed them as much as the BAs were consumed by theirs them but they were evil by choice! No redeeming features! Whereas the BAs had a fluff page describing a brutal confrontation in the field of battle, the DAs had a torture scene.

So that's how I almost became a BAs fanatic! ;)

Edited by Captain Semper

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to find an awesome instance of fluff is fairly easy and every Chapter can boast quite a few of them. However it's often a single piece of background that really triggers one's imagination towards a certain faction. The BAs have their fair share - the most inspiring for me was the piece on p.22 of the Codex Angels of Death depicting the shock and awe and fear normal humans feel when they see a Space Marine of the red variety in action. I was so inspired I went out and bought the old metal Death Company set on the spot! No matter how many stories on BAs were published since, no matter the depth GW and BL has given to the BAs, it's that story that captures the essence of the Chapter perfectly for me.

Is that the one where some Guardsmen are trying to clear a bunker with little success and then the BA steam in and clear it in a matter of seconds?

And was the main reason I went BA over DA, as I too was close to doing both, but that was the stroy that really struck a chord with me. Semper you make great and valid points over both Angels of Death and help explain why I have test mini's from both BA and DA knocking round. Obviously though, DA wear dresses and we can't be having that :cuss :ph34r: