• 1 month later...

Well, I've always loved the BA. I started playing them on the 2nd edition and have ever since. Although I change paths a bit through 5th when I started collecting and playing Eldar, and since the game has changed "so much" since (ultra heavis, flyers, and so forth) they've just ended as a collecting thing. I've got also 30 terminators, that it's quite complicated to eventually use, so it's complicated to play with them at the mo.

Also with the new release of the BaC box i've decided to use it as a start to a BA army for 30k. The BA rules coming out on February are great news as well!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I sold all of my Crimson Fists. A month ago I started re-building a Blood Angels army originally as an allied force for my Crimson Fists. After about a week of buying and building Blood Angels I realized my first army was my true home and who I felt the closest to. I have one army, Blood Angels. And that is how I roll. I came around full circle. I have about 3k now, looking to go about 5k.

Also my previous screen name was Tiberius Karn, if you remember when I started posting on this forum when I first began the hobby around August of 2014.

Edited by Helias Tancred

Good shout.

WE may not have all those new fangled rules but we DO have the coolest chapter master in the imperium.

Plus who needs a free Rhino when you have +1I on the charge?

Well said. I have played most of my games as Crimson Fists, and they are a great chapter lore-wise, etc. But from my gaming I've learned I'm more about "rule of cool" and the fluff/lore first, then being competitive second. The guys I play with are the same. We try and better each other within our own codex, but we play for fun #1 and use very little cheese. The ones of the group that play codex marines have mostly stopped using the Skyhammer Annihilation Force because they felt it was too cheesy, for example.

Also in time we will catch up to the new decurion style codices too. I'm not too worried about that. I play because I love the chapter and the lore.

Edited by Helias Tancred

• 4 months later...

Back in the beginning of 2nd edition (I didn't know there was a first back then), I only had the starter box's 20 snap-fit tactical marines and the photos of the books included. At first (having no idea of the background) I though it would be easier to paint Ultramarines 'cause I though the badges had to be painted too...

In the end, slight hints of history from the Codex Imperialis, the included mini-campaing, but mostly one picture sent me flying to Blood Angels.

A picture from the advertising leaflet showing some close combat troops in (awesome) black armour while being BA, and that dreadnought the likes of which didn't appear in the Rulebook's pictures (it only showed a 1st ed. dreadnought)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/spyros80/DSC_0451.jpg

I haven't seen that picture in years! The nostalgia is strong ;) I'm pleased to say I re-painted my 2nd Edition Death Company this very ETL so my guys still battle on in the name of the Emperor :D

I do love the old 2nd Edition models, pictures and artwork though. Lovely to see some popping up again!

• 1 month later...

I'm the same: it was seeing pictures of the Death Company back in 2nd ed. But I never actually collected Blood Angels, until this new campaign book gave us Death Company detachments. And now, for the first time, finally, I've got Death Company on my painting desk...

DC and jump packs were what drew me in, and largely what kept me here. When I first started playing my only opponents were Eldar and I noticed a distinct trend that the more assaults I got in, the better I did, so I found the hardest hitting, assaultiest bastards I could.

• 2 months later...

When I first started 40k I chose the Blood Angels. What attracted me was their background, heroic ad noble but guarding a dark curse. I also really liked Baal, the tribal culture they came from, the human condition there, etc. The more I learned about Sanguinius the more I liked too. Also when I play an army/faction in 40k, a character in an RPG, etc I play me basically! I look for the faction, class, race, etc that I best identify with and in who I most see myself. A couple other chapters rank up there, such as the Raven Guard, Crimson Fists, and the Ultramarines, but overall the winner was the Blood Angels. 

After playing BA for a good 6 months, I got caught up reading a number of Crimson Fist novels and stories and sold my Blood Angels and started building a Crimson Fist army. This was also the time when the new codex came out and I was very curious .... after playing them for almost a year I realized while I really enjoyed the Crimson Fists, my home was on Baal. Something about playing Blood Angels made me feel right. lol. So I sold my Crimson Fists and started building another Blood Angel army. 9 months later here I am. 

I will probably add an allied formation of Raven Guard or Ultramarines as allies, but my army identification is Blood Angel. Same for 30k when I get into it. Playing the IX Legion ;) ... especially if they release Azkaellon and Raldoron's stats. 

• 8 months later...

To be honest my first 40k army was Space Wolves, I was really into Vikings at the time, and in 2nd edition they had the best terminators you could get. 5 man squad with all of them having assault cannons and cyclone missile launchers each, back in those days the CML had a 12" blast radius at str 8 and I think a -4 to armor saves. Wasn't until 5th or 6th edition after reading about them and really seeing Mephiston for the first time that sold me. Here we have some dude, who's about as close to a vampire as you can get without being undead. I mean this guy was an army killer. At 250 points he could rip apart a land raider a few squads of troops and a captain or command squad and still have time for a quick lunch at the local Subway before heading back home to Baal to catch up on Harry Potter or Netflix. Nowadays he's not so vicious and his points have dropped but he's still a monster that requires attention and a sweet model to boot.

I remember one game i had, a doubles match with Blood Angels (me) teamed with Imperial Guard vs. Chaos and Dark Eldar. Good ole Mephy was was running around in one quadrant of the table solo doing Mephy things (glaring at stuff, snarling, Mephy stuff), and my buddy asked "What's it look like over in that area do we need more troops there?" His teammate said "Not really, just one guy over here my wyches will have this area next round". So my buddy looks over and says "Umm....That's Mespiston, that area is not cleared, you will have that quadrant next round" Teleports in a squad of Obliterators there. Long story short, Mephiston killed the Obliterators, the Wyches and their raider on his way to kill a Ravager sent to help and at the end of the game was in their deployment zone with one wound remaining. The rest of my army didn't fair as well, but Mephy did Mephy stuff and killed an army for me and my teammate to win the game. I love Mephy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Summary: red, fast, in your face space marines with the most appealing fluff out there.

Discovered them in third edition, and never looked back. I still field some of my first painted models, even if they look really terrible, just to remember where i come from.

I love how human they look like, even being genetically engineered supersoldiers, struggling to overcome their inner flaw, and be the bringers of hope for mankind, as Sanguinius meant them to be.

Also, l love how they rise from the very verge of annihilation once and again, to bring death to their enemies, and victory to the empire. Damn, i love even when they lose, amongst piles of dead enemies and terrified survivors, making them know fear.