Ok what got my playing blood angels over Salamanders or Black Templar

1. Less Conversions required
  2. More can be done with paint colors
  3. Red is my favorite color
  4. I'm tired of slow moving armies speed is good
  5. They are Blood Dragon's in space
  6. Long story short a bunch of little kids I used to interact with called me a vampire (because I do have some what pointy k9 teeth, and in that culture eating meet that wasn't well done is unusual, and I ate a piece of meat cooked on the rare side in front of them, and I was the whitest white guy they had ever seen) so I empathise with the vampric nature of the Blood Angels.
  7. Because my Traitor Marines betrayed me and until their new codex the Demon Hunters are just too under powered to stand up to Chaos Demons. How ironic.

when i first started playing 40k back in 3rd i started with chaos. i just bought bits n pieces then i came across khorne bezerkers. this got me really into painting red. and at the time there wasnt a whole lot of khorne stuff around so i started with BA. then i truly fell in love with painting red. so i re painted my lizardmen.... red. my empire..... red. then followed more armies. necrons, bone and red. high elves, white and red.

so basically i love red.

the other reason is the fluff. they kinda remind me of batman and batman is awsome

• 1 month later...
[*]Less Conversions required

I'm glad you noted that. Yes, they require less conversion but you can still look very BA with stock models; on the other hand you can really go to town with the conversions and get away with it, still having a coherent army.

I started playing in 2nd ed. Bought a box of 6 tac marines, who were painted as Ultra-smurfs, because to me back then, marines were marines, blue, red, green or whatever.

Then I got space hulk and read a bit about BA, which got me thinking.

What really swung me though was the 2nd ed 40k box set, with the 2nd Armageddon War story book. The story of how they thrashed the Orks almost single-handedly made choosing BA a no-brainer.

Never looked back since. Have Orks as a side project, but my BA are, all in all, about 3500k worth of points.

Just a pity that, after 12 years in 40k, I've still not properly painted any of them; I suck mightily with the brush, but love conversion work. Just finished modelling my 10-man VASM squad.

Oh hi by the way, I'm a newbie here :)

Hi everybody!

I started playing W40k about 8 years ago. My army were Ultras (it was the first SM Chapter that I saw, and I didn't know of different chapters, as it was said above "marines were marines"). I played mostly friendly matches. I liked UM for their universalism, but when I learnt fluff, I found their fanaticism toward Codex not the thing to admire. And this was when 4th ed Codex:Blood Angels was released...

I like BA for their raging and artistic (according to the fluff) nature, the passion to furious fighting, close combat, assault, tearing enemy apart.... And liberating Armageddon is a sound achievement! Also I find Sanguinius the coolest primarch!

Should I say that red looks terrific on the battlefield?

I first became curious about Blood Angels approximately 10 years ago when I first heard their name, which sounded cool enough that I wanted to find out more regarding these "Blood Angels". Upon discovering to my delight that they were red (my favourite colour at the time, and second favourite now), I bought their codex and found myself fascinated by this most noble but cursed First Founding chapter. Their primarch was an angel, a golden figure on wings who emodied the Emperor and sacrificed himself to save the Imperium. They embody the loyalty and devotion of the Emperor's finest, tempered with a nobility and humility that can come only from resisting an overwhelming thirst every day of their lives. These are the reasons why I love the Blood Angels.

The fact that I personally favour assault over shooting somewhat helped as well.

The Blood Angels have the best fluff, hands down. They had the coolest and most noble Primarch. They are not good for "Good`s" sake; they struggle with their own personal demons and still triumph.

As many have said, jump infantry rock and the Blood Angels have the best and most. Then there are the Death Company...too F-ing sweet. Marines who have unfortunately lost their inner battle to control the Black Rage and will only find salvation in death upon the battlefield.

I also like their read color scheme (My Blood Angels are a particularly bright red and yellow...kind of like the Blood Angel army in the back of the 4th Edition Rulebook). I always thought it was like a shock tactic...kind of like they are saying to enemy, "Go ahead, shoot at our bright red armor. It won`t help you. You can`t stop us. We will get to you."

I`m up to about 5000 points - fully painted - now. Blood Angels were my third 40K army, but their fluff (and the other reasons listed above) won me over. Their "codex" may be weak now, and I know a lot of supposed Blood Angel players have since repainted their minis to be used with "Codex: Space Marines", but I`ll never turn on the greatest space marine chapter: The Blood Angels.

For Sanguinius!

Almighty Nocturnus

• 2 weeks later...

I play blood angels because of a few things...

The fluff:

Blood Angels are brutal. Sanguinius looked into his future, saw his own doom, and without second thought made the ultimate sacrifice and gave his life for The Emperor.

This of course resulted in The Flaw, where day by day EVERY Blood Angel must remain strong of will, so they don't succumb to The Black Rage, and ultimately The Red Thirst.

Other chapters hate fighting with them because of this, they think the flaw makes them weak.

But in truth it just makes them stronger... and long lived. Dante, over 1,100 years old. Marneus Calgar is a toddler in comparison.

They're red.

Mephiston is hardcore.

Assault marines are troops.

The Death Company are amazing... combined with a Chaplain or Dante, they're nigh unstoppable.

Oh and what about their Veteran Assault Marines? Lightning claws, flamers... need I say more?

They're red.

Why do I play??

Well in 3rd ed. when I was just getting into the game (I was a bit younger and liked winning more than gaming), it was because they where "naughty vampire gods!" Seriously, Over-Charged Engines on my Rhino-rushing furious charging crazy men? Win!! Then I left them for Heresy and the Night Lords. And then I left the game all together for 5 years...

Well, now I've grown up. I'm into fluff and challenge more than anything else, and the 5th ed. Blood Angels have both!

To my surprise I havent commented in here yet - could have sworn that I did.

But, to rectify that error:

I got into Blood Angels back during Space Crusade days! I looked at the equipment cards, saw close assault blades, and realised it meant I could have a damn good go at taking the dreadnought in close combat. No turning back since then, and there is never any question about whether to charge or not. As a true Baalite, there is only the one answer...!

• 2 weeks later...

cant actually remember... the first white dwarf i read they were featured in for some reason and they looked great

then along came space hulk in about '90 and theyve always had a place in my heart since :)

So, I started 40k around the time that 5th Ed. came out. I looked into the rules, read them, then ignored them for a few months as I worked on my fantasy stuff. I played a Gun line-lite Dwarven army, and was sort of looking for a different sort of army to start my 40K army. So I bought six boxes of assault marines and Dante. I've been expanding it ever since, now have a full company of Battle Brothers. I had a period of weakness where I played with the Codex, but I'm a loyal Captain now.

1- Awesomest fluff ever.

2- Death Company (Especially dreadnoughts. Uber squish).

3- Mephiston. I have wings! I have 9 attacks! I reduce your ini to 0! That boy's hardcore.

4- So. Many. Chainswords.....

Been playing and collecting on and off for about 10 years - and if i hadn't gotten distracted wih those terminators i'd have a battle company...

• 1 month later...

Sanguinius. I mean, we've got the most hardcore primarch. he broke the back of a bloodthirster over his knee. Horus held sanguinius in higher regard than any of the other primarchs, and even himself. He's awesome incarnate.

plus, I love the models. Dante, Tycho, Mephiston; they are all awesome, and the armour reminds me of the works of Michelangelo and the like. I love that stuff. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of our codex, but our fluff makes up for everything. I like how they are portrayed as cursed heroes, no matter how great warriors or tacticians they are, they will still fall one day. either in combat or to their own flaws. It's refreshing. space marines heroes in general are boring and uninteresting to me; I'm not a fan of the whole "best of all time" thing. that they seem to give out like free candy these days. Calgar? yeah yeah, noone can apparently kill him, he wrestles avatars and orks for fun, whatever. no flaws. boring. Tigerius? tap the hivemind, whatever. best psyker there ever was. too perfect. boring. cato sicarius? apparently best h2h captain ever, which is bs anyway. boring. pedro kantor is the only one i find interesting, fluff wise. maybe khan, cause he chops heads off for a living.

Our dudes? Our chief librarian fell to the curse and overcame it. he still wrestles with it every single day. Corbulo? the dude doesn't even have a power weapon. not much to say as for Dante's flaws, but even Calgar sees Dante as a better commander. plus Dante looks like a piece of art. Tycho? well yeah, he got his face disfigured, and went crazy. our poster boy even fell to the curse and got himself killed fighting orks.

I love those imperfections. they make us unique. and we are vampires, whole love art, sleep in coffins, and maybe, just maybe, we might go nuts and drink blood. There's no other chapter who's got better fluff than us. none.

If I can't play The Emperor, I'll play for the honour of his favoured son.

Both of them knew the fate of mankind and died to preserve it without a hint of self-interest.

Such a tragic choice: extinction or eternal war.