Community project : Let's found a Chapter ! (Phase 3 & 4)

GreyCrow

Why not goths or vandals?

And no im not talking about nowadays teenagers.

How would you incorporate them into a space marine chapter? Too me both would prefer to operate in smaller groups, company or demi-company in size that would focus on shock attacks, overwhelming defenses in one location to destroy something and be gone by the time a counter attack was developed. Several of these groups would probably work in close proximity able to deal with multiple small threats or group together to fight on bigger threat. The chapter would probably be fleet based, gathering many of their supplies in these raids.

I like the goths and vandals too, but I think they're a little too disorganised to transplant tactically onto an astartes chapter. It was the superior organisation and flexibility of the franks that let them push the goths and vandals into Spain and out of most of north west Europe. The lack of discipline and tribal nature of the vandals in particular led to them being firmly swatted down by the Berber tribes in North Africa and then squashed in Spain itself.

While they both have a great deal of merit, I think a more modern society such as the later dark age Germanic groups meshes better with the idea of an organised and disciplined force on which to base a codex chapter. It is the capability of the franks and Saxons to rise above their barbarian origins and form lasting nation states that lends them more to a codex-compliant chapter. I think the Goths vandals and other early Germanic tribes would be more suited to a divergent chapter which departs more fully from the codex.

Visigoths are also responsible for forming lasting Kingdoms. And after being almost destroyed by berber invasions, regrouped and started the reconquest in Europe.

So its a bit unfair saying they were tribal barbarians, when they had a proper kingdom running.

Also responsible for killing Valen the Roman Emperor and Sacking Rome.

http://www.themiddleages.net/images/visigoth_kingdom.jpg

Also they were the ones that forced the Vandals out to North Africa.

http://www.themiddleages.net/visigoths.html

Bit of info on them here. Give the poor lads a bit of credit msn-wink.gif

Also this is a suggestion, and I might as well use some ideas to my chapter smile.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denigrating the achievements of the other tribal groups, I just think the franks and Saxons as more modern societies mesh better with a codex-organised chapter. Doing a visigothic chapter sounds like a good plan.

Sorry guys, I had lost my password to both the B&C and to the back up e-mail to get a new pw, but it's all settled now !

So are we set on the influences as Aztec and Saxon/ Frank?  The opening post said that should be decided today.

Well by now we all know what I think... Franko-Saxon prisoner-taking heavy infantry sounds like good fun.

That is settled ! I will update the OP and launch the second phase of the process as soon as I'm done with that ;)

I will have to read up on the Saxons and Franks, but when I can get to a computer I can throw up a link to a /tg/ chapter based on the Aztecs for everyone to draw inspiration from.

Edit: decided to throw up the link from my phone, here y'all go!

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Jaguars

And I've updated the OP and we're currently moving to phase 2 : the Naming !

Ongoing step : Naming

The second step is pretty self explanatory... Now that a solid theme has been decided upon, it is time to flesh out the identity of the Chapter by finding a suitable name !

The name can be from any form or origin, but must be evocative of the Chapter's theme and beliefs.

This step is ongoing until Thursday November 6th at 12:00 a.m. !

The way I see it we have two options for a name.

First we could have a name reflecting their tendency towards capture and execution of prisoners or secondly name reflecting the cultural roots we are basing them on.

I am drawing a blank on the first, for the second the only thing I have come up with so far is Huscarl.  Thus at this point my recommendation is something like the Red Huscarls or Black Huscarls.  Clearly further research is needed.

I think it's important not to push the cultural/thematic elements of the chapter too far. Some chapters can get away with this, and that's fine, but many chapters don't bother, and that's fine. "Iron Snakes" aren't particularly Greek, but their practices and culture are based on the Spartans (IIRC). The Blood Angels may paint themselves red and like to fall out of the sky, but the Lamenters didn't have anything to lament upon their creation, though these days they got 99 problems but having too many surviving battle brothers ain't one, if you know what I'm saying.

But I do like the idea of the knightly order style being reflected in the name. How about something minimalist like...

• Knights of the Aquilla
  • Knights of Guilliman
  • Knights of Terra
  • Knights of [iNSERT MADE-UP NAME FOR CHAPTER HERO HERE]
  • Knghts of [iNSERT MADE-UP NAME OF HOMEWORLD HERE]

Jaguar Knights? It obviously ties in with the Jaguar Warriors of the Aztecs while retaining the element of knighthood we're working with. Mayhaps the name could represent their style of warfare, sudden suprise strikes from mounted warriors.

Aztec culture also involved worship of the sun, and based off my (rudimentary) knowledge of germanic tribes, druidism could be involved. So maybe a name like the Verdant Suns could be used. Or we could appeal more to the heavy infantry approach and call them the Breacher Legion or something like that.

I think we could have a very good basis for a chapter focused on boarding action. Other names off the top of my head to fit with that are:

Reavers

Heart Rippers (going into ships and ripping out the 'heart' by disabling power or capturing the captain)

[insert Adjective] Privateers

Usurpers

Destroyers

The name doesn't really have to tie into the chapter I suppose, so it could likely be that they become something like the Disciples of Macragge. But names can invoke great imagery. With the Black Templar, we know that they're zealots and spread their faith to all corners of the galaxy. The Salamanders are masters of flamecraft, likened to the great drakes of Nocturne. Even the Ultramarines name tells of what they are about, modern day marines adhere by a set of "rules" on how conflict should be handled, the warriors of Macragge take this to the next step and have a solution to ALL conflicts, and diverging from these solution means that failure is a likely result for them.

If that made no sense, then ignore me! :p But for me, names that help to paint an image of what a chapter is like goes a long way in giving a chapter personality.

Jaguar Reavers sound very nasty, haha !

I always thought about a declination of the verb "to reap", that would fit imho with the Aztec theme : Reaper Jaguars ? Reaping Jaguars ? Reaper Knights ?

Alternatively, we could go with a colour name that would hint at the themes we're exploring... but it might also heavily determine the color code.

The Reaping Jaguars sound terrifying and awesome.  I would also not be opposed to simply Jaguar Knights, but figured it was worth throwing other ideas out there.

Also I think talking about name without colour scheme and vise-versa can be dangerous.  The whichever is chosen first usually influences the other.

Star Jaguars ph34r.png

Panthera Astra? tongue.png

I like that one.

Then the armour would have to be yellow with black spots, and I know eventually I'll make a small contingent of this chapter and be kicking myself for allowing such a thing. They'd look like Astartes on a runway showing off the new latest trend.

But... if they went SW with it and had Jaguar pelts... now there may be an idea!

Star Jaguars ph34r.png

Panthera Astra? tongue.png

I like that one.

Then the armour would have to be yellow with black spots, and I know eventually I'll make a small contingent of this chapter and be kicking myself for allowing such a thing. They'd look like Astartes on a runway showing off the new latest trend.

But... if they went SW with it and had Jaguar pelts... now there may be an idea!

They'd fit right in alongside some of those fabulous looking guys from the Badab War

Panthera sounds really awesome, fits with the Gothic of the Imperium... Plus, we could say that a Panthera is a mythical animal from the homeworld of the Chapter, without sound too earthly.

Knights of Panthera ? Blazing Pantheras ?

The Franks also had some mythological connection to the bees and many graphical arts about that. I'm not sure if the Aztecs had similar view with insects, but as far as I know the Mayan had something about that as well.

But Wasps or Bees doesn't really feel right for the theme...

Archived