Questoris Knight Magaera

Hey folks,

Now that the Questoris Knight Magaera has been out for a little while, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on him?

Specifically, is his cost worthwhile compared to running an Errant or a Paladin?
Any success stories, or, lack of success stories?
Any tips pairing him with other armies, or running him with a full guard?

Basically, it sort of boils down to, is the investment in this Knight worth it, or is he easily replaceable with someonthing cheaper, better, and different?

Thanks.

I'm still considering buying the Magera model itself, and then simply fielding it as a paladin when needed. I like the look of the shoulder plates better than the imperail knight, and it has the benefit of simply magentizing the claw/sword arm - field it with the sword rather than the claw, and you have yourself a paladin with fancy shoulder guards, toss that claw on for experimenting with the Magera.

It's truly that "swing at I2" that tosses the whole model off for me. Would it live a little longer in midfield? Yeah, probably with the IWND and the -S on incoming fire, but really what good is that if it's misses it's 1 main shot, and can't get into CC with another heavy without striking last, and likely, not striking at all.

Edited by Spanish_Muffin

As long as they're shooting at it - the Magaera is great.

If it gets into close combat - it will lose to most of the other Super Heavy Walkers and even slow Lychguard Necrons could kill it.

Sounds like a dirty "field at low points when your opponents not expecting a Super Heavy as your LoW" sort of option. 

But sadly, I like my knights able to take down other Super Heavies, so I guess I may just get the model and field as a Paladin then, which is too bad as I sort of like their rules, except that I2. 

I'm waiting for the Styrix first, but will likely get the Mageara eventually too. I'm thinking they designed it's rules with the idea in mind that it'd tend to take to the field with other knights, where others will be more likely to deal with the assault targets. The rules are experimental though, so if you don't think them good enough then let FW know before they finalise them!

I've played a couple of Apoc games with a Macro Cannon.

I can see where the Mageara would be useful in Linebreaking through to destroy something like that.

It definitely looks like a unit for larger games. I understand what they were going for- its a variation on the paladin- better defense/durability, lessened offense. Worse main gun, better secondary gun, a great template gun for overwatch fire.

I think if it cost the same as the paladin it would find its way into my list as a possible #4 knight. It certainly looks cool.

I am getting intrigued by the Styrix, but the lack of rules suggests to me that it will be 30k only and that they are waiting for the new HH book to roll out before they release it.