Ekim_Trub

Interesting use of Librarians. Also it is nice to see other people also use the tools from deathwatch and then compare how greatly different results emerge.

These are good basics to start things of though the brooding thing we need to be explored much more, especially how Chaplains cope with the same "flaw".

I must admit I hadn't really thought on how the Chaplains cope themselves with the "brooding" aspect of their nature.....exceptional strength of character combined with extensive training maybe??

But I do like that aspect of their character, and I feel it fits them as sons of Corax, when you consider Corax himself locked himself away in the Ravenspire brooding and the interactions shown between Chaplain Cordae & Captain Koryn in the books By Artifice Alone and Labyrinth of Sorrows.

I really need to start expanding upon what I have, but every time I put pen to paper my mind becomes blank or the stuff I write just looks like a load of statements rather than a proper Index Astartes. sad.png

I do have a clear idea of how the Sable Hawks would typically launch an attack though if that helps flesh them out slightly? I envision they would attack in three "waves":

Wave 1: Scouts infiltrate the battlefield to perform "eyes on" recon and to perform sabotage or ambushes. They may be used to help coordinate air or artillery strikes if required.

Wave 2: The Chapter uses attack craft such as Fire Raptors and Storm Talons to establish air superiority by eliminating both enemy aircraft and air defences. Simultaneously, gunships such as Storm Eagles (and recently Stormravens) deploy the vanguard Infantry Squads who will carry out the mission as required or if secure the area to establish a LZ for further forces to be deployed safely. The gunships will provide CAS for the Infantry at this time to prevent them being overpowered.

Wave 3: If needed, Thunderhawk Gunships will be used to deliver further Infantry Squads and/or supplies and equipment, while TH Transports will deliver any armoured support needed by the forces on the ground. Although the Chapter prefers to use Land Speeders and Bikes to provide mobile fire support when CAS is unavailable.

On the ground, I see them as moving quickly to accomplish their mission using extensive training, squad level tactics and expert marksmanship to minimise casualties and collateral damage.

• 2 weeks later...

So.....been attempting to write this into an Index Astartes instead of just a list of facts/ideas, but all I keep getting is a pile of garbage. :(
I find myself struggling to give them any real sense of character/theme- any ideas?

I was advised before to give them a home world to inject character and/or introduce a theme, however I have always envisioned them as a fleet-based force, so want to keep that.

I always find it's easier to start with beliefs first as I tend to think that is what defines the chapter. Then move onto other areas which further defines previouse ones, so the IA becomes this fluid living article until all the pieces come to rest and what im left with is an IA. Not sure if that helps though :P

That definitely makes sense. Now to figure what the beliefs are.. sad.png

happy.png

Have you checked the guides on this forum? You don't have to strictly keep to its every word, but it may get your creative juices flowing.

Sorry, the loss of a very close family member caused me to miss your reply Quozzo. 

I have read them several times, and have even had help from the more venerable members of the Liber....but alas, my writing abilities are woefully poor. Everything I write comes across as more like a list of facts rather than an Index Astartes article. :(

I plan to resume progress at the end of the week, but in the mean time I have decided that that to show their age (and because it will be cool imo), the Chapter will have be made up mostly of mk.VI PA with a considerable amount of mk.IV available for Chapter Command/Veterans. 

Sorry to hear that trub.

The idea of them being very ancient is cool. One 'in' I can think of, you say they're fleet-based and also 'intellectual' about warfare, they could have a reputation for being unheroic and unsentimental - not cowardly but logical to the point they have no interest in last stands or dangerous rescue missions and if the numbers work out are willing to leave comrades, maybe even fellow Sable Hawks, to die. This means they are effective but others are never 100% confident in working with them and are glad to see them shoot off to the next warzone. This in turn leads to them being isolationist and secretive, working alone and when given a mission only interact with Imperial Guard, other Astartes etc. when it is completely nessecary.

You have some chapters who are happy to cause collateral damage to defeat the enemy like the Marines Malevolent which is brought out of callousness and a very blunt approach to warfare. The Sable Hawks could be the inverse of that, precision fighters who would never carpet bomb a city when a strike team will do. However if Imperial settlement X is not important to the campaign the chapter will let its inhabitants be overrun by the enemy even if they were more than able to organise an evacuation. Similarly if say the fleet is in hot pursuit of a Chaos agent and come across a frontier system under assault by Ork pirates they want even blink before pushing on with their mission.

EDIT: and your fluff- post it, write more, take the C&C, tweak it. No one writes award winning fluff right out of the gate and the author is often their own worst critic, keeping it to yourself wont let it improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a rough few weeks, I have been able to attempt putting pen-to-paper.

Hopefully this serve as a base to expand upon for my IA.

Origins:

The Sable Hawks are an ancient Chapter, able to trace their history back to the Third Founding, however, precious little of their actions & glories exist within Imperial records for they shun laurels & adulation, believing duty is reward enough.

Created to be a mobile, reactive force, the Chapter was tasked with helping defend the north-west region of Segmentum Tempestus from the foul attentions of Xenos raiders & Heretics alike, whilst also dealing with any recidivism that may arise. (A task they perform with extreme prejudice.)

Very little is known in regards to the founding of the Sable Hawks apart from what Founding they were part of, what gene-seed was used and who first commanded them. It is recorded that they are a successor of the Raven Guard, & Cmdr. Abnus Habrok (a former Raven Guard Captain) is listed as their first Chapter Master.

Home world: Created to be a fleet-based Chapter, the Sable Hawks have honoured this decree throughout their millennia long history and have never claimed a world as their base of operations. Believing to do so would give their enemies a static target to assault as well as preventing them relying solely on a single gene-stock, that could cripple the Chapter should something happen to it. Instead the ranks are replenished by selecting Initiates from the worlds they visit or fight upon in the course of their travels.

Notably, for a fleet-based Chapter, the Sable Hawks do not employ the expected 'Crusade Chapter' pattern of operations normally used by the Adeptus Astartes, but instead employ the rarer & ancient strategy known as the 'Nomad-Predation' pattern. This enables the Chapter to operate entirely as a self-contained force able to sustain itself without any external Imperial support, and as such, to engage any foe or respond to any threat without any pause or delay.

The Sable Hawks possess a vast armada that is both ancient and irregular in its composition, comprised of as many support vessels as it is dedicated war vessels. Although, given the logical and pragmatic attitude of the Chapter, it is highly unlikely that there is any ship in their possession that is not heavily armoured and unable to defend itself when required to.

At the heart of this armada lies their flagship, the 'Hunter of Shadows', a massive battle barge of ancient design that dates back to the time of the Great Crusade and is believed to have been used by the Raven Guard Legion during the Scouring, and as a result of this is suspected as possessing Reflex Shield technology.

Where other Chapters, even from the First Founding, have forgotten much of the technology from the days of the Crusade, the Sable Hawks remember, and they watch, especially for those lost things that could be dangerous in the hands of Chaos. It is the Librarians who cull and curate this ancient knowledge, and who piece together clues from what they see from mission to mission, with fragments of knowledge, to realize when there exists a threat, and to raise it to the attention of their Captain to be dealt with.

*wow*

Trub, this is the most original thing I have seen in your draft since day 1. (I'm praising you by the way.) Stick with it and build the Sable Hawks around it.

Edit: There is plenty of relic hunter Chapters, but none who hunts the relics in the hands of Chaos.

~ NightrawenII

Thanks Nightrawen, your input and honest critique has helped me massively with this project. I do think that the relic hunter aspect would make for an interesting 'theme' for the Chapter, although how I am going to do so will be a challenge that I shall try to work on at work over the next couple of days at work. 

So, having had to think on the 'relic hunters' idea/theme, I have decided I really like the idea of it and will try to make it work for me, however, this has left me wondering a couple of things and I would like to hear your guys thoughts.

How would the Chapter be viewed by the Inquisition if they were being very selective in picking their battles? How would they get around the inevitable attention that would follow them leaving war-zones in the middle of battle to pursue a 'lead'?

Also, because they are searching for lost technology in order to prevent it falling into the wrong hands (which could mean destroying it), what would their relationship with the Ad Mech be like? Would they be allies/allies of common cause/cut off from Mars? 

And, where would they store all these 'relics'? Wouldn't make sense to carry them all together amongst their fleet in case of attack, so would they return them to the Ad Mech or to Deliverance (for the Raven Guard to deal with)?

There's a number of things you could do lole isolated 'relic worlds' garrisoned by a squad of Sable Hawks, or hidden caches in asteroids - I think what's more interesting is a potential conflict that arises when the Inquisition or Mars wants a piece of that action but the SH refuses to comply with their requests. Some genuine tension there. Half the Inquisition wants the relics and purge the Sable Hawks as traitors for keeping chaos tainted relics, the other half wants to burn them then keep the relics for themselves!

I don't envision the Sable Hawks as using any relics they recover if they are tainted by Chaos, as they will 'remember' the Weregeld/mutated Brothers that Corax created when dabbling in ancient tech, so I imagine those relics would be destroyed. Which would cause tension as the Inquisition and Ad Mech would believe that they would be able to cleanse/purify/still use the tech, whereas the Chapter knows better....and that that road leads to damnation. Hence them pursuing this mission clandestinely.

And as for untainted tech, I kind of have it in my head that the Chapter would probably realise the threat it posed if captured/was in the wrong hands, so would secret it away to prevent it becoming a threat. (An intact Ordinatus engine, or a STC machine for 'Iron Men', for example.) 

So, having had to think on the 'relic hunters' idea/theme, I have decided I really like the idea of it and will try to make it work for me, however, this has left me wondering a couple of things and I would like to hear your guys thoughts.

How would the Chapter be viewed by the Inquisition if they were being very selective in picking their battles? How would they get around the inevitable attention that would follow them leaving war-zones in the middle of battle to pursue a 'lead'?

Also, because they are searching for lost technology in order to prevent it falling into the wrong hands (which could mean destroying it), what would their relationship with the Ad Mech be like? Would they be allies/allies of common cause/cut off from Mars? 

And, where would they store all these 'relics'? Wouldn't make sense to carry them all together amongst their fleet in case of attack, so would they return them to the Ad Mech or to Deliverance (for the Raven Guard to deal with)?

The concept you're describing there reminds me of the Dark Angels in pursuit of the Fallen. They just leave if they catch a whisper of the fallen, they also take the pre-preemptive attack to try and catch their target before it escapes much to the behest of the other forces for ruining their surprise attack. They have few allies outside of the inner circle. Hell, they could even be in pursuit of chaos marines to try and glean some intel on some relics, but unknowingly the chaos marine is a Fallen and the DA are not far behind.

The Sable Hawks could have a similar approach, seeing as recovering relics no matter the cost is worth it in the long run, regardless of the consequences to them. There maybe some relics which just simply cannot be destroyed and must be safeguarded. Crowe in the Grey Knights for example is charged with the safekeeping of the extemely dangerous Blade of Antwyr, which he uses (but refrains from using its power) as otherwise it might fall in the wrong hands. It might be a sign that the Admech or inquisition are not capable of keeping relics safe if it must be watched by the Grey Knights of all chapers, although whether that is something known to the Sable Hawks is debatable. You could take it the other way though as the relics could be handed over to the inquisition/AdMech. That would ensure you have the resources to capture relics and would give you a source of information. Other imperial forces will assume you are their lapdogs and added on top of the already bad reputation will leave the chapter with few allies, except the Inq/AdMech. They would be essentially damning themselves for the imperium, but the imperium hates them for it as they cannot know the truth.

You could take it the other way though as the relics could be handed over to the inquisition/AdMech. That would ensure you have the resources to capture relics and would give you a source of information. Other imperial forces will assume you are their lapdogs and added on top of the already bad reputation will leave the chapter with few allies, except the Inq/AdMech. They would be essentially damning themselves for the imperium, but the imperium hates them for it as they cannot know the truth.

I'd say this particular angle seems the most interesting of the two presented. It provides interesting conflict with, well, nearly everyone. ^_^

I would really like to avoid turning them into another Ravenwing, or Relictors, if I am honest. However, I do realise they are going to be very Ravenwing-esque in nature...but hopefully not too similar. 

As for working with the Inquisition or the Ad Mech, I get the impression that a Chapter originating from the Raven Guard would most likely lean towards allying with the Ad Mech. Given that Kiavahr & Deliverance is almost on par with a Forgeworld, and from what I have read so far, Corax seemed to have a good relationship with the Mechanicum during the Great Crusade. How I will write this in remains a problem though, lol.

You could take it the other way though as the relics could be handed over to the inquisition/AdMech. That would ensure you have the resources to capture relics and would give you a source of information. Other imperial forces will assume you are their lapdogs and added on top of the already bad reputation will leave the chapter with few allies, except the Inq/AdMech. They would be essentially damning themselves for the imperium, but the imperium hates them for it as they cannot know the truth.

I'd say this particular angle seems the most interesting of the two presented. It provides interesting conflict with, well, nearly everyone. happy.png

Well, I disagree with this for several reasons;

#1 Too many DIY Chapters are buddy's with Inq/AdMech. Thus some kind of discontent with these organisations would be a fresh breeze of originality.

#2 Don't forget. "There is no Inquisition, only handful of Inquisitors." The approach of Radicals would be a little different than the Puritans.

#3 Given the nature of Inquistion or even AdMech it wouldn't take too long before the guy, who was entrusted with the captured relic, use it for some kind of questionable purpose and the situation will go awry for all involved, including the Sable Hawks themselves. So I don't think the Chapter would be too much gullible when dealing with the captured stuff.

Edit:

In my point of view:

The Sable Hawks often volunteer to safeguard unearthed artifacts or accompany Explorator fleet(s), but the AdMech is less than happy because this Chapter has bad habit of blowing stuff (and/or people) up when they feel something is not right. The Inquisition is also not very pleased. Because, according to Radicals, the many relics the Chapter has destroyed could be used for righteous purpose. Puritans on the other hand, aren't convinced that the Chapter disposed of all the relics they have procured so far (The Inquistion is simply made like that, deal with it).

The rest of Imperium rarely welcomes the Sable Hawks with open arms because the Chapter has tendency to run away at the notice of possibility/danger of powerful atifact or ancient tech falling in hands of Ruinous Powers.

- or something like that.

~ NightrawenII

In regard to those points, I fully agree, brother. I figured that Inquisitors ≠ the Inquisition, hence my saying "nearly everyone". I suppose it's my own fault for not elaborating. ;)

And yes, far too many DIYs try to be buddies with the Inquisition - it's up to us regular Liberites to judge when that story device helps or hinders the overall IA. Sometimes we might disagree on which one, though. ;)

Ideally, I don't want them being buddies with anyone other than the Raven Guard (& maybe their other successors?), and would prefer the Chapter remaining relatively unknown if possible. “We are nothing, just shadows. We do not need credit or glory. We win. That is all.” msn-wink.gif

Although I have envisioned them supporting/shadowing the Explorator Fleets in the past, aiding in recovering tech for the good of the Imperium- but if need be, sabotaging the find or being over zealous in their assaults to secure it.

But, I do know that they are not going to be BFF's with any Inquisitor or any branch or any branch of the Inquisition because there is something about Astartes doing so that just doesn't sit right with me.

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying to work the 'relic hunters' theme into the Chapter without them becoming an AdMech allied Ravenwing imitation, but just can't seem to pull it off if I am honest.

So, I revisited the idea previously suggested by Nightrawen that the Chapter is lacking character due to a lack of home world, and I believe my stubbornness to stick with fleet-based may have been hindering my progress with my fluff. The world I envision for them is very loosely based upon pre-Colonial/Columbian (unsure of correct term) North America and the tribes that lived there (e.g Apache, Cherokee, Sioux). What I have so far.......

• The world has only two continents (one in the northern hemisphere and one in the southern hemispere), which are joined by a chain of small tropical islands, and each is home to varying climates ranging from mountain ranges to arid desert to dense green forests.
  • The world still only has stone-age technology, and it's people live in small, nomadic hunter-gatherer tribes. The bow & arrow is their favoured weapon, as well as stone axes, knives clubs.
  • The people worship the Emperor through animism, and refer to him as the 'Sky Father/Great Eagle', and in their religion takes the form of a great two-headed eagle made of golden light.
    - Their myths speak of their world as being inhabited by numerous great beasts/monsters that preyed upon the people before the arrival of the Great Eagle and his son, the Raven. It was upon the command of the Great Eagle that the Raven & his warriors slew these beasts and liberated the world from their menace.  (Beasts of chaos destroyed by the Raven Guard.)
  • The world, for whatever reason, was left to it's own devices until the Sable Hawks arrived to claim it as their home world.
  • Although the world is now an Astartes home world, the Chapter has chosen to remain separate from the populace and built their fortress into the highest mountain, far out of reach and sight.
  • The tribes frequently war upon each other for land, resources and other reasons, mainly in small skirmishes & raids that use stealth & guerilla warfare to do so. On the rare occasion that war is waged on a larger scale, the use of cavalry and manoeuvre warfare is utilised. 
  • A superstitious people, the people make use of war paint, charms and amulets to bring them luck and good fortune in battle- a trait the Chapter has adopted in their own way.
  • ​Another trait of the people the Chapter is the use of "shamans", with the Chapters Librarians performing the mystic/prophet aspect of the Shaman, and the Chaplains the mentor/educator aspect. 

However, this has left me wondering what do I call the planet (& it's people)? And how does a Chapter end up favouring air assault tactics when they recruit from a populace that has an ingrained belief in the use of stealth & guerilla warfare?? Would the 'relic hunter' idea still be feasible? (Maybe use their hunter way of life to explain it?)

This is just my opinion, so dismiss it at will. I was under the impression that worlds belonging to the Imperium were brought up to a certain technological level. Otherwise the world would be useless and would drain otherwise useful resourced, even if the planet was self sustaining there would be resources in it which could aid the Imperium. If they worship the Emperor then the Imperium must have visited the planet at some point and would be technologically advanced.

During the heresy though the planet may have been split. They could have been forgotten as they were one of the last planets visited and the scholar didn't quite make it back to mark it on the map, so to speak. During this troubling time a lot of cities were wiped out, civilisations crumbled as they were no longer receiving resources so they reverted back to the stone age. With frequent raids there was an obvious need to safeguard the precious information and artifacts before they were destroyed, or used by the enemy who would not hesitate to take advantage of the situation. As the millenia passed, the ancient relics and technology, that they once depended on, dilapidated due to the lack of materials, and even the lack of knowledge, to maintain what they had. It took longer than anyone could have dreamed, but a once thriving civilization soon became nothing more than barbarians. Holding onto their past, they dreamed of a day were the outsiders , the Great Eagle and Raven, would come back and restore their planet to become as glorious as it once was, but the beings that came 10,000 years ago are nothing but myths, riding flying chariots, wearing impenetrable armour and throwing lighting from thier hands, how likely was that. Still, it did not deter the worshipers from exhausting every possiblity, although skeptics still remained. The planet became further fractured as time continued and communication between the former cities diminished. The remaining tribes each formed their own beliefs and traditions, every one assuming they were correct and the others must be punished for thier heretical ways because they are the sole reason the Gods have not returned.

TBH I didnt intend to write that last paragraph, it just came out huh.png

Anyway. I forgot what I was saying :D I just remember thinking it reminded me of the white scars, although I know next to nothing about them blush.png

This is just my opinion, so dismiss it at will. I was under the impression that worlds belonging to the Imperium were brought up to a certain technological level. Otherwise the world would be useless and would drain otherwise useful resourced, even if the planet was self sustaining there would be resources in it which could aid the Imperium. If they worship the Emperor then the Imperium must have visited the planet at some point and would be technologically advanced.

Not to knock the rest of your post, as you did come up with some good points, but just as an FYI on this particular subject, it does seem like you're working on a misconception here.

Check out this link for a list of Imperial classifications for planets:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Class_%28planet%29

While it does seem incomplete, it and the connected articles, and especially the sources provided within, should give you a good jumping point towards an overview of what Kind of worlds make up the Imperium.

If you'd like to respond to this, please do so in the Liber Surgery, so as to keep this thread specific to the Sable Hawks (which I really need to go through, and I promise I will sometime today). I find it an interesting subject, so I would be happy to elaborate.

Archived