Relictors Captain - Work in Progress

As part of my upcoming Relictors army, and in part due to the fact that I have been unable to sell him off for a good price, I decided to convert my Web Exclusive Captain No 1 to be the leader of my incarnation of the Relictors 3rd Company.

Here is the first few WIP pics:

Early Stages:
15387345278_a57f121616_n.jpg

Further Progress - Boltgun just to show pose, will be a Combi-Weapon on final model:
15405056039_9790c3c7b4_n.jpg   15406101500_684d402eac_n.jpg

Finally, the first stages of painting:
15030778223_dbd0468d29_n.jpg

Thanks mate! Yeah, always loved the Relictors since their Index Astartes article back in WD. Wanted to start an army of them then but I had only been in the hobby for not even a year then and while I tried to convert and paint up a few, I just couldn't do them justice with my skills at the time and put them to one side.

So yeah, with all these gorgeous new kits coming out and my abilities much improved I had to take the opportunity to revisit this project I had wanted to do for a very long time.

Started putting together a Command Squad to accompany him too:

15480282410_9998ca607d_n.jpg - Left to Right: Standard, Apothecary, Company Champion. Close Ups to follow.

15479215449_fe42a20d83_n.jpg   15666684552_17b2781eb5_n.jpg   15045113554_4f992cc72c_n.jpg

15045114774_56d7094632_n.jpg - What happened to the Web Exclusive Captain's Skull Sheath.

15030778223_dbd0468d29_n.jpg

15479215449_fe42a20d83_n.jpg 15666684552_17b2781eb5_n.jpg15045113554_4f992cc72c_n.jpg 15045114774_56d7094632_n.jpg

Ah, lovely conversions Apostle, you've got a great mix of bitz here, the Captain's mace is from the DV Chosen Champion right? I like your use choice of the Deathwing Knight heads for the Captain and Apothecary (I saw this on my ipod and initially mistook the Apothecary as having no face beneath his hood!laugh.png).

Re-using the LE Captain's sword for the Company Champion was a fantastic choice, I don't suppose you'd consider dubbing it the infamous day-to-night changing Sword of St. Aquitaine? Or perhaps the daemon-hating Blade of Phaedron? ;)

I also like the choice of colour for the hoods and cloaks, the deep red really stands out from the stone grey of the armour. I can't wait to see how the rest of the command squad look once they're painted too, consider me your newest follower! smile.png

Wow!!! Wasn't expecting to see so much activity on here when I looked. Thanks a lot though guys, although I'll now go through and answer each of you personally also.

@Thrillhouse - Yeah, in general, I think that scabbard is probably a bit much for a standard Space Marine but for a Relictors army, like you said, it just screams death and Chaos.

Thanks a lot though.

@The_Chaplain & deathspecter - Thanks guys! The minute I saw the new Sternguard kit I had that conversion in mind so I can't tell you how glad I am it worked out.

@SanguiniusReborn - Thanks! :D Yeah, that is the mace from the DV Champion (I had two and didn't really need both so the spare got repurposed). Cheers, I had ordered the set of hooded heads from ebay as I had wanted one of them for my Librarian Conversion (see link: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/122948524@N05/15648261451/) and had the rest spare so was glad to find uses for them all.

Nice to see so much love for the scabbard though, I had been planning it so long, very glad to see it worked. Great suggestion actually, was hoping to fluff some of my characters out at some point and had already planned for his sword to be a defiled imperial weapon (thus verdigris covered aquila hilt and chaos scabbard) reclaimed by the Relictors and the Sword of St Aquitaine is literally that so a perfect suggestion!!

Thanks for the comment on the robes too. They were originally planned to be off white but I changed them to red last minute as, well, so many people have done Relictors (I didn't realise how popular they were) and off white robes are so common I wanted a different take on it as I wanted this to be unlike all the other Relictors armies I had googled leading up to this project.

Yay!!! I hope you enjoy what comes next :D

@ppotts - Thanks!! :D

@Tdf4638 - Cheers. As for the Kai Gun, what is it? I had heard of it in previous editions when I first started but then it disappeared.

Any suggestions for how to convert it/what it would count as?

@SanguiniusReborn - Thanks! biggrin.png Yeah, that is the mace from the DV Champion (I had two and didn't really need both so the spare got repurposed). Cheers, I had ordered the set of hooded heads from ebay as I had wanted one of them for my Librarian Conversion (see link: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/122948524@N05/15648261451/) and had the rest spare so was glad to find uses for them all.

Nice to see so much love for the scabbard though, I had been planning it so long, very glad to see it worked. Great suggestion actually, was hoping to fluff some of my characters out at some point and had already planned for his sword to be a defiled imperial weapon (thus verdigris covered aquila hilt and chaos scabbard) reclaimed by the Relictors and the Sword of St Aquitaine is literally that so a perfect suggestion!!

Thanks for the comment on the robes too. They were originally planned to be off white but I changed them to red last minute as, well, so many people have done Relictors (I didn't realise how popular they were) and off white robes are so common I wanted a different take on it as I wanted this to be unlike all the other Relictors armies I had googled leading up to this project.

Yay!!! I hope you enjoy what comes next biggrin.png

Ooooh, that Librarian looks really sweet, I take it his staff will have a suitably heretical head to it? I look forward to see him when he's finished.happy.png

Glad I could be of help! I was reading through your posts when my mind drifted back to an old Index Astartes article on the Relictors I had read in an old, old, OLD issue of White Dwarf back in the day. As I saw what you had done with the Captain's blade the Sword of St.Aquitaine came to mind and I couldn't help but bring it up, though to be fair I had to look it up first to make sure I wasn't imagining it. laugh.png

Still, not only did I discover I wasn't making it up but I found a list of other chaotic artefacts the Relictors have "recovered" as well. Plus the article I found is way more comprehensive than my usual source of Lexicanum, which should be useful to you. smile.png

P.S. After reading through the list of artefacts I'm afraid I'm going to have to humbly yet firmly insist you at some point convert a model to be wielding the Artekus Scourge, the Emperor commands it! msn-wink.gif

@Tdf4638 - Cheers. As for the Kai Gun, what is it? I had heard of it in previous editions when I first started but then it disappeared.

Any suggestions for how to convert it/what it would count as?

A Kai Gun was a piece of wargear that appeared a few Editions back for Chaos Leaders, usually Daemon Princes like the stubby barrelled one on the left arm of this Prince. I don't think it was very popular though and I think it disappeared in the following codexes.confused.gif

A Kai Gun would be perfect for a Relictors Sternguard Sergeant! biggrin.png

You just had to bring that up, didn't you? I'm going to go cry in a corner now, fondly remembering the good ol' days.
Hehe, sorry Kage, I wasn't aware you had a nostalgic fondness for Kai craftsmanship... :p

Thanks Sanguinius! Yeah, I'm currently on the look out for a suitable part as all I have in my bits box at the moment are these (http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/chaos-space-marine-aspiring-champion-personal-icon-p-2019) things that come on the CSM sprue but I'm not sure on these at the moment. Was thinking of getting some of the Warriors of Chaos banner tops if all else fails but still looking out for something unique.

Yes, that is the WD article I refer to in one of my first posts. It was on eof my first White Dwarf's and that article was just awesome, I have wanted to do these guys ever since but was either put off by a lack of talent/inspiration at the time to do them justice and the fact that so many people had clearly had the same idea. I wanted something different, so I waited until I had the skills to achieve what I had imagined.
I had forgotten about the artifacts though so that was a great shout. Will be looking over that article some point too. That wiki is great for fluff and I use it regularly for my Chaos stuff so I'll be sure to check the Relictors section out too.

Haha, I actually plan on having quite a few of the artifacts represented in the army when I build it up, as well as some other Chaos Tech I'll invent or draw from other sources so the Artekus Scourge is likely to feature at some point. msn-wink.gif

Hmm, the article on it makes it sound awesome, so I quickly put this together as a quick draft attempt, althoughI have a few other ideas too:
15670806621_7f3c3a7367_n.jpg 15053360543_1a25dda6fa_n.jpg

And now for a quick update while I have time too. The Captain is finished and the Champion very close to being as well:

15487545177_d21983e651_n.jpg 15487940490_f99f787f83_n.jpg 15053424313_422d49ce6f_n.jpg 15487938280_dbcf4947f9_n.jpg

15649027326_e7348d03e2_n.jpg 15649062486_d995cb4260_n.jpg

Sweeeeet, that Kai Gun looks good but what it that between the forward grip and gun barrels? I can't tell what it is...

The finished captain looks great, I paticularly like his cape with all the miniture skulls. Will you decorate his base in any special way?

The champion looks pretty sweet and I dig the sense of casual disdain/contempt he radiates as he strides forward. Keeping the sword sheathed until he finds a foe worthy of drawing it, it's delicious.

The sword in itself is lovely too (ya'know, for a tainted night-bringing instrument of slaughter) and I like the detail you've put into it, especially the verdigris on the metal. :)

Awesome stuff here, love all the old Relictors fluff! Captain is cool, isn't that mini the one with all the little skulls on his cloak, perfect Chapter choice! Edit: just looked back at last pic, looks great!

Only off point to me is the pose on the champ. To me it seems a bit off to have the sword on that side as he'd have to draw it with the same hand as he's wearing his shield (and carrying his bp although that's less of an issue)? Maybe there is some way of fixing the shield on the wrist holding the hilt?

@JeffTibbetts - Thanks man. It means a lot! :D

@Sanguinius - Not certain on it yet, maybe a bit too big, want to mock up a few other ideas and then give you guys a vote for it. Cheers though. The bit on the top in the Daemonic face from the CSM Terminator Heavy Flamer. It's mainly there to fill a gap but also makes it look more chaosy.

Thanks! Not decided on his base yet to be honest, will probably do something similar to the urban bases of my Word Bearers but I imagine it will be a bit fancier as its an HQ model.

Thank so much, glad to see he has a fan haha ;) I seriously love that pose though, he has to be my favourite model so far. Even the head I'm pleased with; it was the sternguard one with a Mohawk - I thought it would be perfect the moment I saw it but I shaved the hair away as I felt it spoilt it.

@Lysimachus - Yeah, that's the one, although looks like you have noticed it already now. Thanks though.

Very true, and as much as I love this guy, that thought has always been in the back of my mind.

However I think it's a fair trade off for an otherwise awesome pose, in my opinion of course.

I'm not sure the shield would look right on the left and I'm so happy with him I don't want to play around and ruin it so I think I'll leave it.

If it helps though, I justified it to myself having noticed that with the following two reasons.

1. As Sanguinius said, his sense of contempt means I doubt he would draw his sword for anyone, thus just putting an unworthy for down with his bolt pistol and clubbing them away with his shield (which is attached to his forearm to keep both hands free) while steadying his sword.

2. However, against a worthy foe, I see him holstering his pistol for an honourable fight.

Thus, with the shield on his wrist as above. he draws right handed and is free to fight either two handed or switching to his left.

Archived