starting a new daemon army

ZONKEY

It doesn't hurt to have an idea about what you want to play.  Which gods do you like?   Whould you like play shooting. melee or psychic heavy?  

If you want something to work on while you are looking for a focus, start with a Soul Grinder or Daemon Prince since those are pretty universal.

I haven't really touched the new psychic stuff I used to roll with slaanesh and khorne, I was thinking of a daemonettes and some kind of greater daemon maybe khorne or slaanesh or maybe even nurgle, I was a big fan of the skulltaker but I heard he got nurffed

New army new rule book and new codex

The Great Unclean One is possibly the best HQ in the whole codex, especially if you go full monty and take mastery levels in Biomancy.  That thing is a nigh-unkillable monster, and provides for a very nice "bullet magnet" to allow your other units to make their move elsewhere.

I like Nurgle/Khorne lists most, but Tzeentch is starting to grow on me, especially when combined with GUOs and rampant psychic trolling.

Also, I second the advice on the Soul Grinder.  One of the best heavy support units in the game, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Daemon Princes can be used as HQs for Chaos Daemons, but they're often better served as Heavy Support options with a Greater Daemon in the HQ slot affiliated with the same Ruinous Power.  A Daemon Prince and a Soul Grinder would give you two very good heavy support options.  Combined with a Great Unclean One, some Nurglings, and whatever other troops suit your fancy you've got a functional basic army.  A word of caution, though:  daemon troops need to be used in swarms to be particularly effective.  The minimum squad size of 10 will seldom accomplish anything meaningful, so you'll often want them in blobs of 15-20 per unit.

Archived