KiwiBen revisits Adepta Sororitas

KiwiBen

Kia ora B&C.  I'm KiwiBen - a long time "lurker", first time poster on B&C.  I've been inspired by this thriving little Adepta Sororitas community to dust off my collection of Nuns with Guns and give them an overhaul for 7th Edition.  My collection has been languishing in a box in my parents' garage since the Witch Hunters codex got replaced (I packed a sad and "rage-quit" because I couldn't field my favourite Jump Pack Canoness any more), but I've recently decided that I need to start working through the vast piles of miniatures that I've accumulated over the years, and I thought that the AS would be the place to start.

The list of models I have is as follows (to the best of my recollection):

• Celestine
  • 2x Canonesses (Canonii?)
  • Sororitas Command Squad
  • Uriah Jacobus (aka. "Battle Santa")
  • Assorted Priests
  • Assorted Battle Sister Squads (enough to make 1x20, 1x10, and 2x5 Sister squads all with Heavy Flamer, Flamer, VSS Combi-Flamer)
  • 2x Dominion Squads (4x meltaguns each)
  • 2x Seraphim Squads (1x10 and 1x5 with 2x hand flamers in each)
  • Retributor Squad (10 sisters w/ 4x Heavy Bolters, VSS Storm Bolter)
  • 3x Exorcists (FW Turrets/AS Doors on Immolator chassis)
  • 3x Immolators
  • 3x Rhinos (FW =][= Doors)
  • 2x Repentia Squads (8 + Mistress each)

There is also a Penitent Engine floating around somewhere... and I think I've got the makings of a Battle Conclave too, but they might end up being "requisitioned" by the Inquisition as henchmen to accompany my ever expanding =][= collection and the ~50 odd Storm Troopers that I've managed to dig up (the OOP metal ones).

Everything is primed at the moment, and I plan to get stuck into some painting over the weekend (scheme will be red armour, cream coloured robes, with Gold and Purple detailing and accents).

I'm notorious in my local gaming group for being easily distracted by shiny new things - and I've got a Dark Eldar (heresy!) force that I'm trying to resist the call to go back to...  So I'd appreciate the support of my fellow loyalists to resist the temptation...

I thought I might post up a few pictures of my progress if anyone is interested (once I make some progress, that is)...

Stay tuned!

Hei kona mai,

KiwiBen

Ok, it took me a whole season of Family Guy, but I managed to get a couple of Priests painted up today and I got a squad of 10 Sisters almost finished as well... I'll hopefully get the girls completed tomorrow hopefully...

Eviscerator Priest:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Adepta%20Sororitas/80cc13b9-feaf-41fc-b243-4a92fa550058_zpse4c5bce7.jpg

"Combi-Flamer" Priest:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Adepta%20Sororitas/8d9d511c-a70d-44c3-a79b-ea9ad3479ff7_zpsa75553bc.jpg

Comments/critique welcome - I just noticed that I missed painting a purity seal on the combi-flamer Priest (luckily it doesn't show in the photo...)

Thanks very much everyone!  I got a bit carried away with the purple I think though - I hadn't planned on using much at all for the Sisters, so I've had to add some into their colour scheme (just a bar across the bottom of their robes) to ensure they all tie together...

@Malovence - steal as many chequers are you like!  I hardly have a monopoly on it, and it is a super easy way to add some interest and detail to models...  The impact it has on the finished product (i.e. lots) is way out of proportion to the time invested in painting them (i.e. hardly any)!  Same is true of the black/yellow hazard striping etc.

I didn't quite manage to finish the first batch of girls yet... but they're not too far away.  5 just need faces and finishing touches on the gold, and the other 5 are a few steps behind that, because I got impatient and broke the unit of 10 into two halves so I could finish some models faster...  I also got sidetracked drilling bolters, because if I don't do it now, it'll never get done!

I'll try to finish the first 5 girls after work today!

Actually, speaking of work, I should probably get back to that... :huh.:

Alright - I got stuck in after work today (perks of finishing at 4.30!), and managed to get 5 Sisters finished.  The next 5 are on the painting table (4 bolters and a flamer).

OK, you came for pictures - here you go!

VSS - Combi-Flamer

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Adepta%20Sororitas/SoB1b_zps2a250e81.jpg

Simulacrum + Bolter

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Adepta%20Sororitas/084b6536-b574-4ca1-8880-8b5c55cb227e_zps4421b2af.jpg

Heavy Flamer + Bolter

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Adepta%20Sororitas/SoB1d_zpscdbc2fc5.jpg

And a nice group shot...

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Adepta%20Sororitas/332aae3a-64b5-4d21-a4c8-a90c1c57b853_zps0f41df4e.jpg

Sorry for the ridiculous variation in image sizes... I'm not sure what is going on with my photobucket account, I'm trying to edit/resize the pics, but half the time they're not saving properly etc. 

I still want to go back and do a couple more highlights where I've noticed they look a bit flat (mainly the black/silver areas), and of course the Simulacrum and the VSS's scroll will get some text at some point...

They're great, nice colours and well painted. Combi-flames, flamer and heavy flamer? Burny, burny goodness!

If I had to give any kind of constructive criticism, I'm not sure I like the black/yellow on the HF pipe, it draws the eye too much away from nicer details like the purple eyes (which would otherwise really pop!). That may just be me though!

Wow thanks everyone!  This is exactly the kind of motivation I was after - the sounds of Dark Eldar models clamouring for attention are beginning to fade away!

@Ishagu - copy to your heart's content mate!  If it means more painted Sisters, I'm all for it!  Just make sure you share it with us!

@WarriorFish - thanks man.  The bases are done up to tie in with my Grey Knights (and other WIP Imperial armies).  Red and purple are two of my favourite colours to paint, so these girls were a perfect opportunity to put them on the same model!

@Namine - I'll probably have a bash at hand painting something, I do love a good freehand banner!  But if it turns out rubbish, I'll cave and use a transfer...

@Strike Captain Lysmachus - thanks mate! I do love flamers!  And I see what you mean re. the black/yellow.  I wanted to tie it in with the Priests a bit more, but it is pretty bright huh?  I might see what it looks like once I've highlighted the black and silver.  Hopefully if the whole gun is a bit brighter/lighter it won't be so overpowering!

Now, I know it isn't Adepta Sororitas (sorry Mods!), and I promise its a one off, but to give you an idea of what the girls will be fighting alongside, here is my favourite unit from my Grey Knights.  I might start a new Plog over in the GK subforum when I get back to working on these fellas:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/Grey%20Knights/GKTerminators1_zpsfe6f96f9.jpg

OK, thats all for now - Geez, I better get back to work! More painting on the cards tonight. next 5 Battle Sisters, then maybe a Rhino and a few Repentia? We'll see...

No worries!

Looking lovely, your banners and heraldry are particularly gorgie. 

Itty bitty issue, but the flamer looks a tad off with all the other weapons having drilled out barrels.

Keep up the awesome work :thumbsup:

@Flint13 - fair call on the Incinerator barrel. I hadn't even noticed it - he'll meet the pointy end of a pin vice soon!  Thanks for the props on the banners/heraldry too, they're one aspect of the models that I was particularly happy with - not a bad use for the banner from the Immolator box too I think!  All my GKT Sgts have one.

Ok, so the girls are going for a bit of a test-drive today.  I'm fortunate that my dad also plays 40K and only lives 15 minutes away - so I've got an opponent whenever I need one.  I haven't decided what to take yet (mainly because I don't know whether I'll be facing his Deathwing, Iron Warriors, or Necrons), but it'll be a good chance to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Not sure whether I'll go pure Sisters, or add in some Militarum Tempestus or Inquisition or Grey Knights.  I should probably figure out the Sisters first before I go adding allies into the mix huh?

Well, as @Foryou Miko pointed out, Sisters don't need any help!  I found that they're a pretty solid force without the addition of any allies.  I played Necrons - the same list that Dad is intending to take to the NZ Masters Tournament - and managed a very convincing win.

We played 1750, and I took:

Uriah "Battle Santa" Jacobus (Warlord)

Celestine

20x SoB (Simulacrum, Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Combi-Flamer)

10x SoB (Simulacrum, Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Combi-Flamer) in a Rhino

5x SOB (Simulacrum, Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Combi-Flamer) in a MM Immolator

5x Dominions (4x Meltas) in a MM Immolator

5x Dominions (4x Meltas) in a MM Immolator

Exo with Storm Bolter

Exo with Storm Bolter

Exo with Storm Bolter

6x Retributors (Simulacrum, 4x Heavy Bolters)

We played the Masters mission pack and restrictions, as a practice for Dad.  The tournament allows only 1 Primary Detachment + 1 Allied Detachment (which can be from the same faction), so that's why I was able to get 4 Heavy Support choices in there (Primary CAD + Allied Detachment, both Sisters).

What I learned:

• 20 girls with Battle Santa and the Saint make an excellent tar-pit, and are a decent threat.  The addition of another priest or two (with Litanies) would make them even better.  They are very resilient (even in combat with his death star of necron lords and special characters), and can you can afford to be quite aggressive with them too.
  • Meltaminions are going to take some more figuring out - I don't think I played them quite right, and as a result they only got one chance to do any damage before getting shot to bits.  They're not super-reliable at busting tanks either - but that perhaps has more to do with my shockingly bad rolls to hit...
  • Heavy Bolter Retributors are gold!  Six girls in a building managed to secure me an objective, and pump rending shots into a Nightscythe and then an Annihilation Barge to drop both of them., then spent the rest of the game mowing down whatever poked its stupid metal skeleton head into line of sight.  In larger games, I think a Defence Line with a Quad Gun might be a handy counter to flyers, and give the Retributors cover wherever I want them to be...
  • I need to be damn sure that my Sisters are going to kill whatever is nearby before I get them out of their transports... They just can't handle the inevitable counter charge or (in the case of the small 5 girls squads) the return fire.

In all, some important lessons, and I'm more inspired than ever to get the girls painted so I can start taking them to a few Tournaments.  More painting is on the agenda this afternoon.  Hopefully I'll finally finish the 5 girls from squad 1, and then... the possibilities are endless!

• 3 months later...

Well well... after some months of inactivity on the Sororitas front, I've decided to knuckle down and get some more painting done...  I got sidetracked by yet another project (Storm Lords bike army), and a Masters degree which is eating into my hobby time...

There is a Tournament coming up mid-May which I'm hoping to attend, and I'd like to take the girls to that.  It means that I'm going to have to set (and stick to) an ambitious painting schedule, so we'll see what happens.

I (finally) finished the next 5 girls - [i'll edit for photos later]

and I've completed most of their Rhino transport as well.

I'm playing round with a few ideas for lists - 1850 points, every detatchment/formation type is treated as 0-1.  At this stage, my preferred list will include a solid core of Nuns with Guns, and some choices from Codex Inquisition.  I'm open to suggestions about what to include if anyone has any ideas...

Thanks @Duke - The idea for this list at this stage goes something like:

--Battle Santa (Jacobus) = Warlord

--Celestine

--Priest w/Combiflamer & Litanies

--17 Sisters w/ SS Combiflamer, flamer, heavy flamer

--5 Sisters w/ SS Combiflamer, flamer, heavy flamer

---Rhino

--5 Sisters w/ SS Combiflamer, flamer, heavy flamer

---Immolator

--5 Dominions w/ 4x meltaguns

---Immolator

--5 Dominions w/ 4x meltaguns

---Immolator

--Exorcist w/ storm bolter

--Aegis Defence Line w/ Quad Gun

--Inquisitor Coteaz

--Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/ Psyker L1, Force Weapon, Rad Grenades, Psychotroke Grenades, Liber Heresius, 3x Servo Skulls

--Henchmen (1x psker, 2x acolytes)

--Henchmen (1x psker, 2x acolytes)

Idea is to stack all the characters into the big unit of Sisters for some Outflanking/Scouting fun, and then monster whatever gets sent to deal with them while the Exos and Dominions do the heavy lifting...  I'll admit, it is quite gimmicky, but I like playing a list that is more "fun" than "uber competitive"...  I'm also a bit limited in my list building options because I don't really have the time or the funds to buy anything new at this stage, so I'm making do with what I've already got in my collection.  

I do have a heap of Grey Knights available, and also ~60 old metal Storm Troopers aka. "Tempestus Scions", and I can scrape together quite a lot of Inquisition stuff too.  So suggest away!!

List looks decent, unsure why one sister squad is in a thino and the other in a immolator considering both are 5 Sister units, personally I would put both in Immolators.

Dominions are always good but I assume in this list you do not have any repressor models so your using Immolators instead?

Pity you are unable to add to the force in the mean time but then again I'm sure the Exorcists will reward your faith. ;)

Personally I see the sister blob as more use behind the defense line with the exorcists with Jacobus and Cortez to get rerolls to saves, a good cover (I think a priest with Litanies would work better and free up more points), cortez rerolls to hit and of course the I've been expecting you for those pesky deep striking/ drop pod armies that want to kill our tanks. ;)

I know you like more fun than min maxed but another persons view on how to play the same list can sometimes help.

Personally though you have too many witchs for my taste... also they distract from the points that could be spent for some Seraphim to acompany Celestine.

Would be a pitty to see her wandering around moving only at foot slogging speed. ;)

Grey Knights do work well wih sisters, just provided your not trying to paint their armour then we may be having some bother... ;)