KiwiBen revisits Adepta Sororitas

KiwiBen

Thanks @Thoqqu.  3rd Ed was when I started playing 40k as it happens.  I've always had a soft spot for the brighter, more "cartoony" look of models from those earlier editions.  I do try to infuse a little bit of that (although not quite to the same extremes) in my painting.  

You are doing very very well there.  Sad to see you dropped your Retributors to add in Inquisition forces.

I was gonna say.. if you go Retributors, make them full squad of 10.   More bolter shots with Divine Guidance never hurt, and you'll have some Overwatch firepower if the Retribs pull a charge. 

Thanks @Ironheaded.  And don't worry - the Retributors will still get plenty of game time - especially against my Dad's Necrons.  Heavy Bolters seem to be quite effective at putting down Necron Warriors!  I might even give them a run tomorrow night when we have a game.  I do have a max size squad that I use sometimes - the VSS in that unit is the only "Battle Sister with Storm Bolter" model that I've ever been able to find a use for!

Yes, I do the same for the VSS Retributor.   But I did a conversion of a Vet Sister (power sword) ... I cut the pistol off, glued two bolters together, and put it on her hand.

Y'know.. just BEFORE the Witchhunter's release, and the Storm Bolter model arrived.  :furious:

With your two big bots on the way.. can you do me a favor?   1 picture with the two models facing each other arms up a bit?    Rock'em Sock'em Robots.    And I DARE to do conversion of Warden's head popping up on a spring/stick.   Your dad might get the joke too.  :D

• 1 month later...

So I've been prevented from getting much painting done lately... But I've bought a house.  So once I move in a few weeks, I should be able to get a decent painting station set up, and progress on the Order of the Gilded Chalice (and assorted allies) can recommence in earnest!

I also gave in to the temptation of more models... and purchased a few more Sisters via online auctions...

On the way are:

• 5x Heavy Flamers
  • 3x Multi Meltas
  • 3x Heavy Bolters
  • 3x Flamers
  • 1x Meltagun
  • 5x assorted Superiors
  • 1x Seraphim (bolt pistols)
  • 1x OOP Icon/Standard Bearer (which will probably be converted to a Simulacrum)
  • 16x Bolters

and... by far the most exciting purchase... the model I've always wanted, ever since I saw a SoB miniature:

• 1x OOP Canoness with Icon and Combi-flamer!!!

Once I've received them all, I'll be giving them a Simple Green bath, and getting them painted up to join the ranks.

Not to worry Katya.  The oop Canoness will definitely be high on my priority list!  I know what you mean about the prices too!  I was lucky enough to pick it up in a lot with a few other bits and pieces, so managed to get a pretty good deal...  The model on its own is usually pretty pricey though!

I need to get back into painting... I'm getting slowly buried under my ever-growing pile of half-completed projects :huh.:

Most use her as a VSS now though, but either way a great model :smile.: A good haul even without her hopefully it didn't set you back too much :thumbsup:

Yea, she will likely be demoted to VSS, but maybe in smaller games she can be a cheap and cheerful Canoness.  As for cost... I manged to get the whole lot for much less than they'd retail for (about half of retail I reckon), but still somewhat more that what I told my partner I'd spent!  

• 1 month later...

Well, the Simple Green bath time has begun for my newly acquired Sororitas.  While they soak in the blessed and eco-friendly waters of the Emperor's salvation, I've lined up a game!

I'm heading back to my old club (in a different city, about an hour and a half away) tonight, to have a game against my mate's Grey Knights.  (Call it a "friendly inter-chambers militant training session").

1500 points.  I don't know exactly what he's taking, but I expect that it will be more fluffy/fun than "power gamey".  

I'm taking:

Celestine

Battle Santa Uriah Jacobus

Priest (Combi-flamer, Litanies of Faith)

Priest (Eviscerator)

20x Battle Sisters (Simulacrum, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, VSS Combi Flamer) [all the characters go here]

5x Battle Sisters (Flamer, Heavy Flamer, VSS Combi Flamer)

--Immolator (Multi Meltas)

5x Dominions (4x Meltaguns)

--Immolator (Multi Meltas, Dozer Blades)

5x Dominions (4x Meltaguns)

--Immolator (Multi Meltas, Dozer Blades)

Exorcist (EML, Storm Bolter)

Probably not an optimised list, but it should be fun to play, and it will be nice to finally get some gaming in again, 

Wish me luck!

Well, it was a very narrow defeat for the Sisters... Unfortunately we had to wrap up a turn early, and I was 1 maelstrom point behind!

I learned that the big mob stacked with Priests is nasty! They ate a unit of Terminators, a Librarian, and then a Landraider and a unit of Purifiers in combat. Exorcists also exceeded expectations, 3x 6's two turns running is apparently an efficient way to deal with twin Dreadknights...

I think he did underestimate them a little... and they pulled off a 12" charge which they had no right to make...  I just couldn't beleive how ruthless they can be in combat... especially re-rolling saves, hits, and wounds (from a combination of special rules and War Hymns)...  Having the Saint in there for hit and run is excellent as well... It makes the Zealot rule really potent, because you're able to charge every turn to get the re-rolls to hit (after blasting away with 20-odd bolt pistols too!)

Had another quick game last night too.  A mate of mine is currently getting back into the hobby (he's got a Necron collection that's been collecting dust), and his partner is interested too (she's got her eye on Tyranids).  They were over for dinner, so we thought it would be a good opportunity to have a little test/practice game.

500 points each (min 1x HQ and 1x troop):

Sisters:

• Jacobus
  • 16x Sisters (Combi-flamer, Flamer, Heavy Flamer)
  • 5x Dominions (4x meltaguns)
  • Immolator (Multimeltas)

Space Marines (Iron Hands) - one of my old armies that I dug up when we moved house recently...

• Techmarine (as HQ)
  • 10x Tacticals (Power Axe, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon)
  • 5x Terminators (CML)

The result isn't important (read: "the sisters didn't win"), but it was really just a chance to give them a sense of the rules (my mate hasn't played since about 4th ed) and try to encourage them to get back into the hobby in a serious way... for purely selfish reasons - so I have more local opponents!

I've also been chatting to another mate (the one who's Grey Knights beat me earlier in the week), who has said he has a bunch of Sister's that he isn't using...  I'll likely throw a few $$ his way for them and add them to the Order of the Gilded Chalice...  Not sure what there is yet, but he's going to take an inventory for me.

• 6 months later...

Alright... progress continues on my inaugural ETL vow.  I have almost finished one unit of Dominions, and the second unit, the Canoness and the Priests are not too far behind.  I might try to snap a few WIP pics over the weekend if I get a chance to do any hobby-related stuff.  Between Mrs KiwiBen's birthday, visits from in-laws, renovations, and car repairs (after my "pride and joy" was broken into and the buggers attempted to hotwire it, only succeeding in damaging the electrics :furious: ) I don't expect to get much hobby time, but... a man can dream.

I've done a bit of a stock-take of the current strength of the Order of the Gilded Chalice as well...  If anyone is interested, I might put up a bit of a list when I get home later...

Alright... progress continues on my inaugural ETL vow. I have almost finished one unit of Dominions, and the second unit, the Canoness and the Priests are not too far behind. I might try to snap a few WIP pics over the weekend if I get a chance to do any hobby-related stuff. Between Mrs KiwiBen's birthday, visits from in-laws, renovations, and car repairs (after my "pride and joy" was broken into and the buggers attempted to hotwire it, only succeeding in damaging the electrics :furious: ) I don't expect to get much hobby time, but... a man can dream.

I've done a bit of a stock-take of the current strength of the Order of the Gilded Chalice as well... If anyone is interested, I might put up a bit of a list when I get home later...

Well, sorry about your car. I'd like to see a group picture of your army I guess.

This is where I got to with my stock-take of Sisters...  There is about 80 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, and assorted Inquisition models awaiting paint as well...

Order of the Gilded Chalice

HQ:

St Celestine – 135pts

Canoness (Mantle of Ophelia, Eviscerator, Inferno Pistol, Rosarius) – 150pts

Sororitas Command Squad (Dialogus, Hospitaller, Sacred Banner of the Orders Militant, 2x Flamers) – 130pts

Troops:

Battle Sister Squad (x20) (1x Flamer, 1x Heavy Flamer, VSS w/ Combi Flamer) – 275pts

Battle Sister Squad (x20) (1x Flamer, 1x Heavy Flamer, VSS w/ Combi Flamer) – 275pts

Battle Sister Squad (x20) (1x Flamer, 1x Heavy Flamer, VSS) – 265pts

Battle Sister Squad (x10) (1x Flamer, 1x Heavy Flamer, VSS w/ Combi Flamer) – 155pts

Rhino – 40pts

Battle Sister Squad (x10) (1x Flamer, 1x Heavy Flamer, VSS w/ Combi Flamer) – 155pts

Rhino – 40pts

Battle Sister Squad (x5) (2x Flamer, VSS) – 80pts

Elites

Repentia Squad (8x Repentia, 1x Mistress of Repentance) – 141pts

Repentia Squad (8x Repentia, 1x Mistress of Repentance) – 141pts

Fast Attack:

Seraphim Squad (x10) (2x Hand Flamers, VSS w/ Power Sword & Plasma Pistol) – 210pts

Seraphim Squad (x6) (2x Hand Flamers, VSS w/ Power Sword) – 135pts

Seraphim Squad (x6) (2x Hand Flamers, VSS w/ Power Sword) – 135pts

Dominion Squad (x5) (4x Meltaguns, VSS w/ Combi-Melta) – 125pts

Immolator (TL Multi Meltas) – 65pts

Heavy Support

Retributor Squad (x6) (4x Heavy Bolters, Simulacrum Imperialis, VSS w/ Storm Bolter) – 137pts

Retributor Squad (x6) (4x Heavy Bolters, Simulacrum Imperialis, VSS w/ Storm Bolter) – 137pts

Retributor Squad (x6) (4x Heavy Flamers, Simulacrum Imperialis, VSS w/ Combi-Flamer) – 142pts

Retributor Squad (x5) (4x Multi Meltas, VSS) – 110pts

Exorcist (Storm Bolter) – 130pts

Penitent Engine – 85pts

Ministorum Delegation

Uriah Jacobus – 100pts

Ministorum Priest (Litanies, Eviscerator) – 70pts

Ministorum Priest (Eviscerator) – 55pts

Ministorum Priest (Eviscerator) – 55pts

Ministorum Priest (Mace of Valaan) – 50pts

Ministorum Priest (Combi-Flamer) – 35pts

Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclave (6x Arco Flagellants, 2x Death Cult Assassins, 1x Crusader) – 105pts

Auxiliary Support:

Imperial Knight Warden (Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Avenger Gatling Cannon, Meltagun, Stormspear Rocket Pod) – 430pts

Cerastus Knight Castigator (Tempest Warblade, TL Castigator Bolt Cannon) – 380pts

• 2 weeks later...

By the Emperor that's a lot of models!

Yea, I was actually surprised when I started counting it all up...  There are quite a few other bits and pieces too (assorted Sister Superiors that I couldn't find units for, and a few other odds and sods).  I'm thinking that I'll try to convert up a few of the extra models to make Imagifiers for more units.

I also came across the bits to make a couple more Immolator turrets as well (I think leftovers from the Exorcists), so I might look at re-purposing some of the Rhinos/Razorbacks I have lying about from various Marine projects and knocking together some more Immolators.

In other news, I've been making good progress on the painting front - I've almost finished 4x meltaguns.  and the rest of my Vow are all pretty close to completion as well.  I'll try to get a couple of quick WIP pics later, so you lot have something to look at other than a whole lot of text.

EDIT: here is a WIP pic, as promised.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/bm_foster1/ETL%20V%20-%20WIP%20Pics/20160628_193037_zpsace8osju.jpg

In other other news, I got a bit sidetracked the other day, and started writing up a bit of a History of the Order of the Gilded Chalice.  It's still a WIP, but if you're interested in that, I might post it up at some stage too.

Edited by KiwiBen