KiwiBen revisits Adepta Sororitas

KiwiBen

I'm curious as to why you held Celestine in reserves so much?

I agree. I put her right up front every game and nobody manages to down her until turn 4-5. That's with a small group of 5 seraphim squad guarding her...and by guarding her I mean they're trying to keep up because she's leading the charges.

It was only in that final game that she was in reserve - the first 4 she was definitely front and centre, kicking a$$ and taking names.

The reason I did it then was I knew I was going to have to wear a 1st turn charge from the Brass Scorpion (and potentially one or two maulerfiends) if I'd deployed her (because her and the Bikers were too big a unit to hide far enough back in my deployment zone).  I didn't want that thing getting into my deployment zone too early, and then being able to throw D3+2 "Stomps" out of assault and into my Exorcists and other assorted squishy units.

As it was, I was able to bring her on T2 at the end of my long table edge furthest from my deployment zone, which drew the Scorp and his little Mauler friends back towards her, and away from my Exos.

Basically, I hid everything that couldn't hurt AV12 with Turn 1 shooting off the table in reserves (and I had Scriers Gaze as one of my psychic powers, so I was pretty confident in getting my reserves when I wanted them).

• 4 months later...

So, 8th ed...

I've now played 5 games with the Order of Gilded Chalice (for a fairly uninspiring 4 losses), but I've learned a good many things.

BSS squads seem to be a waste of time and energy.

Dominions with Meltaguns are excellent, especially when paired with Immolation Flamer Immolators.

Seraphim have no business deep striking.  With AoF you can get them a t1 assualt anyway, and you'll be able to position them such that they'll be able to shoot their Flamers/Infernos before they go in.  Deep strike robs you of those all-important shots with your special pistols, and makes the charge that much more difficult.

Celestine remains a boss (and if she dies a second time, while a Geminae remains alive, you can AoF her back to life...)

Spamming high-damage weapons is going to be the answer to 8th I think...  The 2000 pt list I've had the most success with so far, and enjoyed using the most, includes:

Outrider Detachment:

- Celestine + 2x Friends

- 5x Seraphim (2x Hand Flamer girls)

Outrider Detachment

- Canoness (Power Maul and Combi Melta)

- Imagifier

- Imagifier

- 5x Dominions (4x Meltas, Combi Melta)

- Immolator (Immolation Flamer)

- Rhino

Auxiliary Super Heavy Detachment

- Baneblade (with a set of Twin Heavy Bolter & Lascannon Sponsons)

Now I've just got to figure out how to glam up my Baneblade to make it look like it belongs next to a Sisters army. I'm thinking plenty of gold detailing and a similar colour scheme might do the trick...

Edited by KiwiBen

Celestine remains a boss (and if she dies a second time, while a Geminae remains alive, you can AoF her back to life...)

Indeed - it's slightly odd but Celestine only goes missing on a roll of 1 with her free resurrection, or when all of her unit is gone.

I am working on my outrider detachment right now because it just seems that Dominions and Seraphim are really good... and everything else is playing some sort of catch-up :)

Kind of chomping at the bit to get a game with my Dominion squads.  I was plotting on maxing out the Dominion squad size and tossing them in a rhino with storm bolters on top.  Pushing up the field with a lot of bolter shots on turn one, and the Seraphim + Celestine jumping through there to effectively bring the fight the the opponent's deployment zone.  Should leave me with a lot of real estate to lounge the rest of my army in... maybe?

Or it'll expedite the martyring of a bunch of sisters.

Either way, we win!

I do take some comfort in the fact that Sisters can never really "lose" a game... they either slay some heretics, or they die as martyrs.  Either outcome is a win for a Battle Sister.

I certainly "expedited" the martyrdom of a lot of the Gilded Chalice sisters in my first couple of games.  Throwing an MSU army into the teeth of a Ynnari Wraithguard gunline was probably a bit rash...  I figured it out a bit better against Necrons though.

Using the Seraphim to assualt T1 and tie up big mobs is also something I wasn't expecting to go very well, but proved to be surprisingly effective (I thought they'd just get reamed in combat).  The 4D6 hand flamer shots each shooting phase while you're locked up is pretty tasty too!

That is an interesting thought about max squad of Doms (presumably with 4 Storm Bolters and a VSS Storm Bolter?) in a Rhino... You'd certainly pump out a lot of dakka...  I just find the melta guns are too hard to look past.  I was a bit underwhelmed by 4xFlamer/Combi-Flamer Dominions... but it might have just been that I didn't point them at the right targets... I was playing a Blood Angels list with lots of Dreads and Storm Ravens... so flamers weren't exactly an optimal choice...

I do take some comfort in the fact that Sisters can never really "lose" a game... they either slay some heretics, or they die as martyrs.  Either outcome is a win for a Battle Sister.

I certainly "expedited" the martyrdom of a lot of the Gilded Chalice sisters in my first couple of games.  Throwing an MSU army into the teeth of a Ynnari Wraithguard gunline was probably a bit rash...  I figured it out a bit better against Necrons though.

Using the Seraphim to assualt T1 and tie up big mobs is also something I wasn't expecting to go very well, but proved to be surprisingly effective (I thought they'd just get reamed in combat).  The 4D6 hand flamer shots each shooting phase while you're locked up is pretty tasty too!

That is an interesting thought about max squad of Doms (presumably with 4 Storm Bolters and a VSS Storm Bolter?) in a Rhino... You'd certainly pump out a lot of dakka...  I just find the melta guns are too hard to look past.  I was a bit underwhelmed by 4xFlamer/Combi-Flamer Dominions... but it might have just been that I didn't point them at the right targets... I was playing a Blood Angels list with lots of Dreads and Storm Ravens... so flamers weren't exactly an optimal choice...

With the base rule of being able to split fire now... I was going to go 5x Dominion, 4x Melta-minions, and the VSS with a combi-melta so put her shots where needed.  Or just drop 2 bolter and a melta shot if there is nothing specific she needs to gun at.  With the rhino supplying an additional 8 bolter shots in all likelihood... it just seemed like a lot of pressure up the gut really fast.

And the basic sisters in the dominion squad helps ease the evaporation problems Dominions usually have.  Forces the opponent to put more dakka into removing the melta-minions.

Hmmm... interesting. So the max squad is just there as ablative melta gun wounds (and bonus bolter shots...)? I found that when you start losing models from the Doms, the AoF to resurrect one is actually pretty handy.  I haven't checked to see whether you can pair this with the resurrection from the Hospitaller or not... but bringing 2 back to life, and then blasting away with zombie meltagunners seems appealing.

Yep.

Vanguard move them 12" in the rhino.  Disembark turn 1, 3" up field of course, then move their normal move.  Should be within 12" of many things.  Rhino moves to get within rapid fire range of whatever, as well.  Unload as necessary.  Use the extra dominions to cheese a few wounds, before he gets into the melta-minions.  This forces him to either ignore the unit, or devote more resources into getting rid of the meltaguns.

Using Outrider, I'm planning on using 2 of these units doing the exact same with Celestine to push a bunch of choices into my opponent's face.  I doubt the Hospitaller will be able to keep up, but after turn 1, Celestine can grant her extra AoF to stand a Dominion back up.  She can also stand a Geminae back up as well, if your opponent managed to kill one with a bunch of Dominions bearing down on him.

I didn't even think of putting a Hospitaller in this specific configuration, but I only have to mapped out at 1000 and 1500 points.  Maybe at 2000 there may be room for 1 or 2, but between vanguard and disembark movements... it'll be like turn 3 before the poor medic will catch up to them.

On paper, and in my head, this seems incredibly fun to do.  But I also liked watching my Chaos friend charge recklessly up the field with Berserkers... and this seems like that kind of strategy.

Disclaimer: I cannot convert him away from his heretical ways, and I also cannot burn him... so we make due with smearing model blood all over 4x6 landscapes!  Makes for great times!

After a few games of 8th, I've decided that I need to invest in more meltaguns and combi meltas for my Sisters...  My trouble is that I don't really want a whole lot more squads of copy/paste meltagun models.  I've got a couple each of the GW sculpts, and I've made 9 more using everyone's favourite grenade-pin-pulling sister.  I want some variation!

To that end, I've purchased a couple of sets of these conversion bits from Trolls Under the Bridge.  Never used these guys before, but the bits look interesting, and it'll allow me to (hopefully) create some good looking melta girls that don't all look like clones.  I also bought a set of "Legion Combi Weapons" from forge world.  I've got a bunch of Sister Superiors around the place that need re-building, as they're armed with Eviscerators, which was a legal choice back in the glory days of the Witch Hunders Codex, but no longer...  They'll be converted to carry assorted combi weapons (probably more meltas and maybe some plasma).

Keen to see how those Trolls Under the Bride bits look! How's the shipping to us down here?

Shipping cost me an extra 5 euro.  I think with the exchange rate, 2 sets of the conversion kit (for 8 melta guns) and shipping cost me $19.95 NZ.  I'm happy with that (assuming they arrive OK and look decent), as it is effectively what we'd pay for a single melta from GW.

I've played 5 games too KiwiBen and I'm of the same mind! Its all about Doms and Seraphim. I think Doms with storm bolters, are great for anti horde and allows for a more varied force :smile.: This is my new 500 points list. My group are allowing me to take a jump pack on the Canoness, for 11 points (thanks Daimhin)

HQ
Canoness 
Power Axe
Storm Bolter
Jump Pack
=============================
Fast Attack 
5xDoms
5x Storm Bolters

5xDoms 
5x Storm Bolters

5x Doms 
Melta 
Melta 
3xStorm Bolter
-Immolater
-MM

5x Seraphim Squad 
2x 2Hand Flamer
Edited by Sister Alessia

• 2 weeks later...

I've played 5 games too KiwiBen and I'm of the same mind! Its all about Doms and Seraphim. I think Doms with storm bolters, are great for anti horde and allows for a more varied force :smile.:

The 500 point list looks pretty solid Sister Alessia.  I had a dig around in my bits box over the weekend, and I've managed to scare up 6 storm bolters that I didn't know I had, plus another 3 that are a bit worse for wear, but might be salvageable (they were ill-fated conversion projects)... So I'm seriously considering trialling some storm bolter Doms too.

__

On another note, my combi-weapons from Forgeworld, and the melta conversion bits from Trolls Under the Bridge arrived, so I'll be able to knock together 2 more melta Dom squads now too.  I'll try to post up a few pics of the melta conversion kits once I've put them on a model...