Reserved for the final product.

Long time no see fellow Liberites ph34r.png

I had quite an intense couple of months and with the cold weather approaching I can relax a bit and devoute time to my hobbies.

Developing a Chapter seemed like a perfect way to get back into universe.

More than 4 years ago I tried to create a Blood Angel successor but it didn't end up very good. I even managed to put together a honour guard with jump packs (the old metal one) and Dante. So years later I am having another go at it.

The name is set, Sons of Amit and the fact that they are a Flesh Tearer successor the rest I left to the wonderful tools found in the Dark Heresy and Deathwatch rulebooks and additions. I have decided on such a course of action to give me a bit of a challenge, provide me with a bit of randomness I have to overcome to make a well rounded background.

So at the moment these are the things I have.

Chapter name: Sons of Amit

At the time when I came up with the name Fear to Thread hasn't been writen yet (and I have yet to read it) and Amit was just the guy that found the Flesh Tearers homeworld.

Rites of Selection: Survival of the fittest & Knowledge of Self

Considering this is something that is chosen rather than rolled for I went for these two after the other rolls have been cast and when I was already getting the general idea where I wanted to take this. The first represents Sons of Amit monitoring people on their own world and several surrounding ones for suitable candidates while the second represents the test aspirants must go through before their training can begin. At the moment I envision the test including chapter's librarians implanting urges into the aspirants mind and seeing how they respond to them and how they overcome them.

Why were they created: Strategic Prognostication

This was in connection to the next roll a bit problematic but at the moment I am inclined to go along with the story that Imperial Tarrot pointed out that in the coming founding chapter(s) have to be created from the bloodline of Sanguinius. Other signs were interpreted as it demanded Flesh Tearer gene-seed for this particular chapter - but I will leave it hanging in the air a bit with insinuation that the signs might have been misinterpreted.

When were they created: M39 (24th founding???)

Not very old, but not new either. More then 2000 years of history to fill in is in my opinion more then plenty.

Gene-seed purity: A new generation

This means the gene-seed is slightly changed from the one possessed by the Blood Angels.

Demeanour: Scions of Mars

This one I will use not to make them mechmarines but to show a level of cooperation and mutual benefits both enjoy from Sons of Amit providing assistance to the AM archeotech excavation missions in the region of the Eastern Fringe known as the 'Zone'.

Gene-seed deficiancy: Lost Zygote (black carapace) & Doomed (malfunctioning progenoids)

On this roll I was really unlucky rolling first a 10 and then followed by a 7 and a 9. Which was followed by another 100 on the missing zygote table. So I decided to go all the way and chose to have problems with black carapace and the progenoids. The exact nature of these problems is still fermenting in my imagination and I hope to have it roughly established by the time first draft is completed.

Flaw: Faith in Suspicion

This one was a little out of the left field and after rolling left it on the sideways until something comes up.

Characteristic: The warrior scholars from this chapter have often noticed clues that their more zealous comrades have missed

So my marines are more thorough in their investigations...hmmm I have no idea where to go with this at the moment.

Founding father: Flesh Tearers 5th company captain

Founding fathers deed of legend: Was amazing but ended killed by an Assassin

This was a cool one as it allows me to add a little bit of intrigue and provided me with the institution to fill the Faith in Suspicion spot.

Organisation: Divergent

Chapter has the Death company as all Blood Angel successors, 1st company is the Assault company, there is no dedicated Veteran company though most veterans are in the 1st company.

Combat Doctrine: Ranged

Now this provided me with an interesting twist, a Flesh Tearers successor that uses ranged warfare over hand to hand. This I need to find a good reason for.

Special Equipment: Totemic Charm

Marines carry vials of blood. Blood is from the previous bearers of the name marine is given on joining the chapter.

Beliefs: Honour the Ancestors

Currently 7 companies strong.

Friends: Blood Angels and co.

Codex Blood Angels explanations - bloodline of Sanguinius sticks together

Enemies: Chaos aligned group (Children of the Storm)

My chaos/renegade/crime cartel.

Homeworld relationship: Distant rule

Think along the lines Space Wolves or Blood Angels interact with their planets.

Homeworld: Civilised & Developing & Industrialised

Roughly Earth 1970's minus the nuclear power

Name: Shaushka (Prime)

Size: 43 000km

Tilt: 17o

Day: 26h

Year: 310 local day (336 Terran Days)

Gravity: 1.1

Satelites: 1 (Morana)

Atmosphere: Normal

Hydrosphere: Damp

Temperature: Average

Terrain: Island & Dormant+Active volcanoes

Population: 62 000 000

Society: Elected Dictator

At an undisclosed time before the arrival of the chapter the planet (and the entire system went through a cloud of ice greatly increasing the amount of water/ice found in the system). The world was almost drowned as the sea level rose by 3km. What was left was a patchwork of landmasess scatered mostly across the planet's equatorial regions. Even though evidently thousands of years have passed since the event the crust is still adjusting to the added weight of the water causing volcanoes to erupt worldwide. It is unknown when humans settled the planet. Sons of Amit encountered a human civilisation (actually several of them) roughly on a late iron age level of development.

So this is it for now all comments and suggestions are wellcome smile.png

P.S. why can't I make two separate opening posts?

The black carapace is critical to a Space Marine, its importance possibly beyond that of even the secondary heart or the multi-lung; it allows the Marine to interface with his power armor, granting control unmatched by anyone outside of the Adeptus Mechanicus itself. Give the zygote deficiency to some other organ, one that's actually organic. (I suspect nano-machines assemble the black carapace, meaning the black carapace is a mechanical device.)

I would also council against having any issue with the black carapace, unless you plan on running a high number of scouts, as without they cannot use their power armour effectively.

Looks like a good solid base to work from though. A suggestion for the warrior scholar characteristic, how about explaining the scholar aspect as the Chapter's way of being artistic? And a good reason for their preference of ranged combat could be that they prefer to dispatch as many of their enemies before entering melee, because once they do, they are prone to entering a state of rage & bloodshed that only recedes once everything living/moving that is not a Son of Amit is dismembered?

Black carapace is an organ - it is a neuroreactive organic material that is implanted under the skin and points are cut out from it where it will interface with the power armour. It sends bundels of fibers to connect with the recipients nerves and then it hardens creating a second skin.

Now considering the fact that Blood Angels and successors create marines in a different manner to other marines (they are implanted with everything and then encased in a sarchophagus for a year to mature) I came to the idea that in a portion of Space Marines black carapace fails to connect with the nerves rendering the organ useless apart from slight additional protection from bodily damage. As many as one in ten fail to make the connection. That will bring further humility to the chapter's character as they understand they are on the path of to oblivion.

Though I do not plan to field more scouts than normal I think I will put a lot of emphasis on the brothers that have to take on the galaxy only in carapace armour and how they strive to do their part in the service of Sanguinius and the Emperor.

To add to their plight the neck progenoid often fails to mature reducing the Sons of Amit to rely almost exclusively on the chest progenoid to produce future marines. Add to that the AM tithe and the chapter is hard pressed to recover casulties suffered in the fighting and most understand the chapter is doomed to dissapear sooner rather than later. 

First part of the text is currently under construction and I believe things should be presentable sometime by wednesday.

Archived