Hotshot Rules : When Did It Changed ?

David Ravel

Greetings everyone. We had some games today. I decided to play my nids tonight (XENOS) against a friend and another table of our friends were playing IG and stuff. Since I always play IG they asked me about Hotshot Gun being ''Get's Hot''. I said yes they all are. Then the guy proceeded to show me that no. I checked every codex with the weapon, and he was right.

Did I hallucinate this all my life ? Or is this something quite new ? I was SURE that all Hotshot were ''Get's Hot''. Or at least I killed my own guys ALOT while thinking it, lol

I just took a quick scroll back through the IG rule books going back to 4th, and can't find the rule anywhere.  I have also been playing pretty much only guard since the late 90's and don't ever remember playing that way.

I think you may have been killing off your guys for no reason...  Sorry.

I can't recall it ever being Gets Hot as well. That's a heavy price to pay for a S3 weapon. I only have one plasma guy in my entire army because of Gets Hot, and his inescapable ability to fry himself the first time he takes a shot at something. I can't imagine ever taking Stormtroopers at all if they all had it. 

Man, Scions with Hotshot are barely worth taking as they are right now, with Gets Hot they'd be worthless.

BLASPHEMY! :)

Don't say that... I am building my army with the scions are the core... 

Then again... they are supported by tougher stuff. 

But all in all, I think they are decent. You just need to use them right and have the right synergy for them. With Scions it is very important that you focus fire and flank. There is no room for hurting the enemy a bit, the unit they are shooting needs to be destroyed or crippled so badly it cannot pose a real threat. 

Normal guard can fight without flanking, and pound the enemy with artillery fire and what not. Using the Scions requires a new way of playing the guard. One not to command safe. 

My only example now I have is my Farsight Enclaves. Taus weakness is close combat. I turned it around and made it my strength. I make sure I am the dominant one in close combat (not going to bring that up here). 

Its result is a confused player/opponent who doesn't know how to deal with an "out of the box/not internet list made" thinking army. 

But for shear power and not regards for the fun of the game (in my opinion and the community where I play) scions isn't the way to go. Thankfully we have here set tules how to restrict to powerful armies. Guidelines to make balanced armies between players. 

Had a look at the witch hunters codex and it's not from there either. However there is a weapon profile for "firearms" that has gets hot. Funny thing is that I can't find a single unit that has that particular weapon...

*edit*

found it. The adversaries of the witch hunter army list has unit "mutants" has option for firearms.

I'm been searching everything too and can't find it. I stopped playing in 1989 before restarting in 2013 and its not in any of the 1st / 2nd ed. - at least not the books I have.

Maybe it was just the "Hot" part of the name?

Edit - and yes it was Hellgun at one point.

Archived