Rise of the Dreadwolves : Crossroads

Lord Blackwood

oh hot damn.Ā 

Ā 

I am completely jelous. Did you free hand the skulls or are they transfers? e

they are transfers Ā I had a bunch of transfer sheets so I wanted to use up some of the stuff on em Ā , my hands shake a good bit so im Ā not very good at free hand @ n @Ā 

Ā 

Seeing your knights i really want to have one too, although i just started my first 500 points of wolves. :biggrin.: love the worn look to them. Do you have any plans for the bases?

Nuln oil is my best friend , im actually a terrible painter and that particular shade carries me. As far as Ā bases go not really , all my minis that are based an old friend did the basing on them and since he and I are like an entire country's length away from each other I dunno if anything else will get based Ive just never really tried and would be too wary of making a mistake .

• 2 weeks later...

With the special event of getting the privilege and honor of playing against Rune Priest Rhapsody I felt that i needed to field something worthy of such a kind and Ā welcoming wolf brother.

I present to youĀ 

The Deathmarked Ā Strikeforce Ā Scouring JawsĀ 
tumblr_nhtl1vaJlg1tdqdkto1_1280.jpgā€‹

A strikeforce Ā (1850 points) of Deathmarked Led by Bjorn Swiftsword Ā and captain Bataar as they tear apart the Khornate sworn Chaos marines who slaughtered the majority of Bataar's chapter a bond is formed , and Bataar and his mounted brethren repaint their armor to reflect the bond they now have with the 14th Great Company. Ā With the traitors routed the Ā 14th and their new allies prepare to return to the saftey of Ā Bjorn Swiftsword's flagship theĀ Blackened FangĀ when more fenrisan ship's translate into real space. The Mark of the Great Wolf Upon them. Ā Bjorn is confused and deeply troubled by the presence of the great wolf who unlike his peers not only know's of his existence but the mission he and his great company have been sent to carry out. Ā 

One thing is clear to Bjorn , A Stern talking to is coming... or possibly worse.Ā 

Basically narratively the pitch is Logan and whatever else are following Rune Priest Rhapsody's advice that they should check on the Ā 14th. Ā Obviously given Bjorn's History he dosent take kindly to Gothi Ā due to his childhood so tempers flare and well Ā yea THINGS HAPPEN I cant really flesh out the story too much cause I am already assuming that the Ā RPR Ā will go with this pitch but assuming he dose Ā then the actual stuff leading up to the argument and conflict ( Which i imagine will have something to do with taking in captain Bataar ) need to be discussed. Either way expect a battle report Ā and a more fleshed out account of what happens fluff wise ( Which i imagine is gonna be logan smacking Bjorn around which will be fun to write up ) Ā sometime soon ( hopefully!) Ā 

I don't even know about Centurions!! Are those a real thing?? Where's the Heldrake and the Marine Biker Lord?? No Riptide, and no Knight??!! Gladly, I see you got the TWC, so that's good...

:tongue.:

Ā 

It's a fine looking force, brother!! I look forward to being annihilated by it!! :wink:

I'll post my force after the Solstice Advance wraps up and you can see my TWC all pretty. Pretty like a ferocious marine riding a massive blood thirsty wolf.

Ā 

End of Line

Edited by Rune_Priest_Rhapsody

• 2 weeks later...

An Updated Visual index of the 14th Great CompanyĀ 
I have a Fellblade that should be on its way by the end of this upcoming week , and once it is painted all the pre Hersey tech fluff will come. Ā Also , new murderfang Ā and Drop pod Ā because Solstice Advance.Ā 
tumblr_nie4d2V0w61tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

Damn I'm loving your work. Can't tell if it inspires me or quashes what little motivation I have though ;-)

Your paint scheme is what I'm trying for. Dark, subtle.Ā You say thatĀ you use a lot of Nuln Oil, but what is your base color? Are you usuing the Fang?

Damn I'm loving your work. Can't tell if it inspires me or quashes what little motivation I have though ;-)

Your paint scheme is what I'm trying for. Dark, subtle.Ā You say thatĀ you use a lot of Nuln Oil, but what is your base color? Are you usuing the Fang?

No quashing! Only motivation!Ā 

Ā 

I prime Black with Imperial Primer - > Brush on Russ Grey onto Armor Panels , Do metalics in Lead Belcher , Do Golds with Runelord Brass , Then Blacks with Abbadon Black Ā and the Reds with Khorne red , Ā Then brush down the model with nuln oil

Ā 

Simple Easy Dumpster PaintingĀ 

Ā 

If I am going to varnish something its done with Army Painter Anti Shine Matte VarnishĀ 

Ā 

If you want to make stuff look cooler you can like do another layer of russ grey Ā and avoid the recesses Ā so they stay shaded . maybe do a diffrent thing for the gold but thats just what I do. Ā 

Ā 

Good luck with yer painting !

Tried t take individual pictures of each shelf Ā , I Ā also converted two o the razorbacks into predators and it only almost cost me two fingers !Ā 

tumblr_nj29ns7xyi1tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj29ns7xyi1tdqdkto2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj29ns7xyi1tdqdkto3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj29ns7xyi1tdqdkto5_1280.jpg

NOTICE THE MASSIVE MISSING SPOT WHERE MY FELLBLADE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ( T n T ) Ā the contact overseas is running late with itĀ 

tumblr_nj29ns7xyi1tdqdkto4_1280.jpg
Ignore vampires on bottom shelf pleaseĀ 

Thanks Really appreciate the compliment D:Ā 

the Adapter plates Ā were glued on Ā so i Ā was tryin to pry Ā them up with a knife Ā but I dont have a hobby knife so I had to use a folding knife ..and..well yeaĀ 

I wouldnt say im finished

For wolves I still need:Ā 
I need wolf scouts since I dont own emĀ 
I need a Vindicator cause I Ā dont own oneĀ 
I need Ā 3 more thunderwolf cavalry for 3 packs of 6 and two lordsĀ 
I dont own any land speedersĀ 
AND MY BLOODY FELLBLADEĀ 

For Knights I need
1 more Errant
1 More PaladinĀ 
One of the Forgeworld 40k Legal VariantsĀ 

That's why I said nearly complete ;) there's always another goody to add. I'd figured to have more time to paint this winter but the farm I work at didn't slow down like it usually does. My list is much longer as I only have 2 packs completed and a third that's missing 1 TDAWG.

Ā 

You've got a nice force assembled and painted so far.

Even though I've used that cape on two of my guys I'm still not sure about it. I think it looks like someone attached a baboon head to the pelt.

Ā 

He looks good. Where are the claw and fist from? For some reason they look like they're TDA sized. Could be I'm just loopier than normal today. Now I need to go back and find your Swiftsword version.

Ā 

Edit: Looked through but didn't see him. Do you have a pic of him with his sword or just the drawing?

Edited by Vykryl

Even though I've used that cape on two of my guys I'm still not sure about it. I think it looks like someone attached a baboon head to the pelt.

Ā 

He looks good. Where are the claw and fist from? For some reason they look like they're TDA sized. Could be I'm just loopier than normal today. Now I need to go back and find your Swiftsword version.

Ā 

Edit: Looked through but didn't see him. Do you have a pic of him with his sword or just the drawing?

The claw is from the grey hunter / blood claw box , Ā and the fist is from the TWC Ā box Ā Ā 

I agree on the pelt the snout just isint elongated enough but I Ā thought it looks pretty cool when its all gold instead of flesh coloredĀ 

Ā 

These are some pictures of the Swiftsword Version Ā 

tumblr_ngt2bbxBaH1tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

Ā 

tumblr_ngt2bbxBaH1tdqdkto2_400.jpgtumblr_ngt2bbxBaH1tdqdkto3_400.jpg

Was just thinking that maybe half a Fenrisian Wolf head would fix the cape. Other than the small head I do like the cape. Might try that next time I use the TDA cape.

Ā 

I like that bone sword. That's from a Tyranids monster? Both versions of Bjorn look good.

yea I Ā forget exactly which kit its from Ā but its one of the tyranid bone swords , thank you for the compliments Ā I really need to get to writing some of the deathwatch stuff so its not weird that he is using a powerfist in the Crushclaw versionĀ 

id be interested to see if a fenrisan wolf head would work Ā ill keep an eye on yer thread Ā 

This next project is a source of great personal triumph Ā as it completes my wolf star unit.Ā 

I Ā give to you Fjolnir the InsaneĀ 

A wolf Priest who was cast out of the priesthood for some questionable experiments ( more on this soon )Ā 
Brilliant but deemed to dangerous to be allowed to continue flesh shaping he did not adjust well Ā to returning to the rank Ā and file.Ā 
Deemed a lost cause it was Ulrik Ā who called the Lord of the 14th Back to the fang to Ā take in the wayward Wolf Priest as opposed to Ā having him be executed.Ā 
Fjolnir had one request of Bjorn CrushclawĀ 

" Those who are wolfbitten , are my domain "Ā 

A condition to which Bjorn agreed ... dun dun dun !Ā 

Once again donning the Black Battleplate of a wolf priest , his shattered wolf skull helmet was affixed to his breastplate Ā as he continues his duty in that role but dose so as an outcast just as the rest of the 14th great company.Ā 

tumblr_njfo2dugEg1tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_njfo2dugEg1tdqdkto2_1280.jpg

tumblr_njfo2dugEg1tdqdkto3_1280.jpg

Fjolnir's little lore piece is done , enjoy
-----------------------------------------------------------

" Fjolnir! What have you done!"

The raspy voice of Ulrik the Slayer was sharpĀ  in a way few ever heard it. FjolnirĀ  spun on the spot taking his eyes off his experiment, his expression of horror hidden by his wolf skull helm.

"Wait ! I can fix this!"

The terrible creatures Fjolnir had wrought were thrashing against their bindings. They had been neophytes once , now they were wolf bitten - given over to the curse that each son of Russ fought against. Though theyĀ  were Ā moreĀ  and maybe in some ways less than those abominations. The change was half completed in the five bound creatures. It almost looked partially reversed in one or two. But it was clear that despite their physical changes mentally each of them were gone.

" FJOLNIR!Ā  THESE THINGS WERE NEOPHYTES. Ā WHAT.Ā  HAVE .Ā  YOU. Ā DONE!"

The first creature burst fromĀ  its bindings and almost as soon as it did so its body seemed to change.Ā  Thick horns of bone burst fromĀ  the flesh over its forehead;Ā  it's canines grewĀ  so long they curled into tusks as it lunged at the pair of wolf priests.

Fjolnir brought his bolt pistol up and fired twice, the creature shrugging it off before Ulrik's Crozius slammed into the underside of its chin, the powerfield stunning the creature and opening a deep gashĀ  which split its lower jaw. This did little to halt the creature who roared in a fully inhuman fashion. Its broken lower jaw splitting even further open as new teeth appeared between the rent bones. Its tongue lengthened and grew several barbs, writhing between its bloody, rent mandible. Ā Fjolnir immediately struck the creature in the kneeĀ  while Ulrik brought his Crozius down on its skullĀ  in an overhand blow. Both wolf priests redoubled their attacksĀ  incapacitating the creature before each emptying their bolt pistols into its grotesque face.Ā  Panting Fjolnir rushed to the console that controlled the Tubes connected to the other creatures; cutting off the light green liquid that they had been feeding upon . Instead that liquid turned blood red , and the creatures began to convulse and foam at the mouth as the toxin killed them. Ā 

Fjolnir turned his gaze back to the Slayer who regarded him behind his own wolf skull helm. There was a long pause, a silence that lasted for what seemed like an eternity before Ulrik finally spoke quietly.Ā  His voice calm despite the violence they had just been forced to.

"Fjolnir .....what...have you ... done?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was not long after that , that Fjolnir found himself sitting in a guarded cell in the Fang . Ulrik himself had taken the Crozius out of his hand.Ā Ā Ā  His wolf skull helm symbolically shattered by the High Wolf Priest, the pieces sitting there on the groundĀ  mocking him.Ā  He could hear them whispering about him.Ā 

Fjolnir the Mad.Ā  Fjolnir the Insane.Ā Ā 

What was so insane about trying to save the people who you were trained with?Ā  So close, he had been so close. It was all gone now - his notes , his work Ā - all gone.Ā Ā 

He had not heard the approach of Ulrik or the other Space Wolf that travelled with him.Ā  While Ulrik seemed to hold a quiet fury, embodying the spirit of the kill, this new comer that stood beside him seemed to have no aura. Ā The new comer instead gave the feeling of a corpse a deep, pitiless blacknessĀ  contained by dark storm grey ceramite. He wore the markings of no great company that Fjolnir was aware of.

" SoĀ  Slayer , you come to spit in my face before this executioner kills me. "

Ulrik said nothing; he simply looked to the other Space Wolf and nodded before leaving the cell.

The Space Wolf smiled at Fjolnir, if one could call it a smile. It was almost a foul gesture the way his fangs shone in the low burning light.

" So youĀ  must have pissed on the statue of Russ ..... Fjolnir the Insane."

Fjolnir growled Ā as he stood up, Ā feeling the kill urge rise inĀ  him. Despite the fact that the man who stood across from him offered no reaction to this nor did his scent change in any way to betray feelings of hostility. Instead he merely seemed amused by Fjolnir's response.

" I won't waste my time taunting you , given that if you choose to take me up on my offer I will have plenty of time to do so anyway. The wolf priests have decided that your sins against the Rout are so severe that you have two choices.Ā  Death , or well ... death.Ā Ā  Though coming with me is a different sort of death.Ā  My name is Bjorn Crushclaw and I am Jarl of the Fourteenth Great Company."

At that Fjolnir let out a bark of laughter. "You take me for a fool ? There is no Fourteenth Great Company.Ā  What is this supposed to be? Some cruel jest before I am killed ? "

Bjorn smiled only this time it was wider and far less warm than the first.

" Unfortunately brother -Ā  in both counts - you are wrong.Ā  For too long my company has operated without a Wolf Priest. Ā The Slayer tells me that before your ...incident you were very promising and he would hate to see youĀ  ..... wasted.Ā  It is a choice IĀ  can only offer youĀ  once.Ā  Come with me and join my Great Company.Ā  You willĀ  have no saga; Ā you willĀ  only see war and hardship. You will do things that you would have never thought were acceptable of a Son of Russ. You will be an executioner. You will live as we were all truly meant to live.Ā  The way Russ would have wanted.Ā  The pure state .... ......Ā  Or , sit here and die tomorrow. Those are your only two choices. "

Fjolnir flinched at the intensity and passion in the supposed Wolf Lords eyes.Ā  In his scent and in the conviction that carried along his wordsĀ  Fjolnir knew that the man was telling the truth.

"I have a condition...."

Bjorn raised an eyebrow andĀ  slightly tilted his head to the side.

"AĀ  condition. Ā I don't remember this being a negotiationĀ  ....Fjolnir , the Insane... "

Fjolnir smiled.Ā  It was the smile of a bloodied wolf , of a marked wolf; a smile that Bjorn knew well.Ā  It was the sort worn by those in his Great Company.

" You said you needed a Wolf Priest..... All I require, is that the wolf-bitten be given to me ........for...study."

Bjorn took only a moment to consider this before nodding.

"Aye , that is fine."

Fjolnir's grin widened, his eyes lit up as the thought of returning to his work sent a shiver down his spine.Ā  He reached down and picked up the largest shard of his wolf skull helm... it was unsalvageable ... he would have to wear it on his breastplate now.

" So then Jarl .... shall we? "

Bjorn nodded, and wonder quietly to himself if maybe Ulrik hadn't given him more of a burden than a help.Ā