Rise of the Dreadwolves : Crossroads

Lord Blackwood

Sure id field em.  I find folks aint that picky now a days with stuff like that.   Especially with there being more lady gamers around.  Hell my roomate plays Astra Militarum Armored Division cause she loves tanks.  

I am pretty happy with how they came out. 

Thank you for the compliment on my work I appreciate it a lot. 

Next up is longfangs , surprisingly I had enough rewards points to snag a box for 4 american dollars pretty hype to build ad paint another pack of those up. 

Sure id field em.  I find folks aint that picky now a days with stuff like that.   Especially with there being more lady gamers around.  Hell my roomate plays Astra Militarum Armored Division cause she loves tanks.  

I think you're conflating two different things here. I don't see how female players have any relevance to anti fluff concepts like female Space Marines. If people care about and are invested in the fluff, they are unlikely to approve of such modelling choices, even if they don't give you grief over it. And why would they give you grief, what would be the point? All that's likely to happen is that everyone gets pissed off, you think they're an arse, and nobody gets to have a game. Everyone loses.

As for the mini's themselves, I kinda have to question the point of the headswap personally. Sticking those alternate heads on Marine torsos doesn't really make them look like women, especially at distance. While they just look uncanny valley wrong close up. But hey, that's just my view, and you've certainly done a good job with the painting.

Well people invested in the fluff balk at the idea of a exiled black ops great company doing dirty work  the very concept of the  14th great company upsets them.  And I keep on modeling and painting stuff anyway. 

I reckon if someone cries too much about it ill  just tell em to think of  them as Fenrisian Sisters of Battle using the warplate of their hosts. 

As far as sticking lady heads on marine torsos  , I just dont recon lady armor needs to have boobs , hell look at brienne of tarth but thats my opinon

If another player would be so upset by my choice and fluff then I would just not play that person I wouldnt even feel bad about it life is too short and my time is too precious to me to get bent out of shape over something that puts a smile on the face of my little lady. 

What are they  gonna do pickup one of my models and pop the head of of it?

Ask RpR if that person makes it out of my local game store with all his teeth.

Edited by Bladewolf

Well people invested in the fluff balk at the idea of a exiled black ops great company doing dirty work  the very concept of the  14th great company upsets them.  And I keep on modeling and painting stuff anyway. 

I reckon if someone cries too much about it ill  just tell em to think of  them as Fenrisian Sisters of Battle using the warplate of their hosts. 

As far as sticking lady heads on marine torsos  , I just dont recon lady armor needs to have boobs , hell look at brienne of tarth but thats my opinon

If another player would be so upset by my choice and fluff then I would just not play that person I wouldnt even feel bad about it life is too short and my time is too precious to me to get bent out of shape over something that puts a smile on the face of my little lady. 

You don't need to explain yourself to anybody. You are a son of Russ. Play on, play hard and have FUN! as for the naysayers what better way to defeat them on the tabletop by the same minis they frown down upon.

Keep up the great work! you do the Fang and Russ proud.

I agree with maverik_girl.  There should be no reason to justify anyone.  It's a game people.  As long as you can tell what equipment a model has, then the rules are satisfied. As long as the model doesn't give you a tactical advantage then why should anyone care?  Fluff is fiction.  Models are the game side.

I think most people would agree that if you've taken the time to model something different and paint it well (and you have painted things well and modeled things differently) that you should be praised for your skill and your creativity.

The way I see it, the story of your chapter is cannon for your chapter.  Its a big universe and even the tomes of the black library don't cover it all.

So fight on shield maidens of the Allfather!  May you reap more than your points back before you die and laugh at the corpses of your foes.

Edited by NightHowler

Well, if I've been cast as the 'villain' of this piece, in for a penny....

Depends on the person. I'm pretty far invested in the fluff and the only bits from your OP I'd take umbrage with were already outlined by Growler67 on the first page. I'd say it only stretches credibility rather than breaking it (unlike the female Marines imo, but I'll get to that in a bit).

Because that's not just as bad in it's own way :teehee:.

Did I mention boobs? There's more to the male/female distinction than mammaries. To use your GoT example, Brienne doesn't have boob plate, but she's clearly visually distinct from other combative, armoured characters like Jaime and the Hound. Those headswaps to me are like photo-shopping Brienne's head onto The Mountain, it just doesn't work. But like I said, that's just my view. You like them, whatever floats your boat.

Hence why I said there's no point giving you grief over it, even if they dislike the premise.

Well, that escalated quickly:unsure.:.

Fluff is fiction.  Models are the game side.

I think you're needlessly belittling a major component of the hobby here. Yes the fluff is fiction, and the games are just throwing dice around, but that doesn't mean that both aren't important. The fluff (despite GWs best efforts to :censored: it up) is what keeps me invested in this game. Without it I'd probably be off playing Bolt Action or Warmachine. But I'm not, thanks to the stories and setting around these tiny lumps of resin, pewter and plastic. Instead I keep buying stuff, and (for example) can't wait for FW to do their thing and give us a Leman Russ model. Without the fluff there's nothing, it's just a big model of a guy. But with the fluff, it's Leman Russ, an actual physical model for the Wolf King, the legend from the stories 'in the flesh', something that a few years ago I'd have considered a pipe dream.

Hell if you want a great example of the fluff mattering to people more than the sterile crunch, take a look at what the Raukaan supplement did to the Iron Hands and their fanbase.

And one of the strengths of this marvellous fluff we have to work with in this hobby is how elastic it is. You can get away with almost anything. Off the top of my head, I can only really think of 2 absolutes (that even GW won't mess with) in the setting (other than some Dramatis Personae that everyone knows about and so won't try to change) 'no Chaos Grey Knights' and 'no female Space Marines'. These aren't big rules, they barely limit your freedom to do whatever you want in this setting. So why break them? What's so wrong with playing by the barely present rules of the massive sandbox we've been handed?

But that's just one jaded veteran's opinion.

Fluff is fiction.  Models are the game side.

I think you're needlessly belittling a major component of the hobby here. Yes the fluff is fiction, and the games are just throwing dice around, but that doesn't mean that both aren't important. The fluff (despite GWs best efforts to :censored: it up) is what keeps me invested in this game. Without it I'd probably be off playing Bolt Action or Warmachine. But I'm not, thanks to the stories and setting around these tiny lumps of resin, pewter and plastic. Instead I keep buying stuff, and (for example) can't wait for FW to do their thing and give us a Leman Russ model. Without the fluff there's nothing, it's just a big model of a guy. But with the fluff, it's Leman Russ, an actual physical model for the Wolf King, the legend from the stories 'in the flesh', something that a few years ago I'd have considered a pipe dream.

Hell if you want a great example of the fluff mattering to people more than the sterile crunch, take a look at what the Raukaan supplement did to the Iron Hands and their fanbase.

And one of the strengths of this marvellous fluff we have to work with in this hobby is how elastic it is. You can get away with almost anything. Off the top of my head, I can only really think of 2 absolutes (that even GW won't mess with) in the setting (other than some Dramatis Personae that everyone knows about and so won't try to change) 'no Chaos Grey Knights' and 'no female Space Marines'. These aren't big rules, they barely limit your freedom to do whatever you want in this setting. So why break them? What's so wrong with playing by the barely present rules of the massive sandbox we've been handed?

But that's just one jaded veteran's opinion.

I'm sorry if you thought I was belittling the fluff side of things.  I'm not.  I too absolutely love the fluff and reading about it.  But I'm also not worried about anyone modifying it for any reason they personally want.  I may or may not like what they've done, but it is a "shared universe" in that way.  It's what GW encourages.  To an extreme, you have to ask if the Black Library and even technically ForgeWorld are official canon.  You could probably make an argument they they aren't (but I'm not trying to).  

Your two examples are true, but I don't know if they are ironclad official.  If you, say, had Chris Wraight or Dan Abnett write a story that violated them, would they not publish it?  I don't know the answer to that question.  And if they did, I'd probably be interested in it too.  That to me is the beauty of a shared universe.  See what others come up with, even if they change the rules.

Sorry my comments came across as dismissing the fluff.  

Long Fangs   will be next probably  going to make to heavy bolters and two plasma cannons since I have 4 las cannons and 4 missle launchers already 

After that there are only a few other things in the codex I dont own 

Vindicators 
Land Speders 
Harald Deathwolf ( This irks me beyond belief ) 
Land Raider Redeemer 
Just a flat pack of normal Fenrisian Wolves
I of course would like to get my hands on a Sicarian Battle Tank 

and god help me before the end of the year I  am going to get my hands on a forgeworld knight 

tumblr_nly19lrgXe1tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

Longfangs are here , and assembled , need to take the file to em a little but ill handle that later when I go back to prime them 

actually feeling a bit under the weather so its not likely these will get done over the weekend 

guys with plasma cannons have to have helmets ... too dangerous otherwise 

Edited by Bladewolf

or , with a mix of insomnia and the need for much stronger painkillers so that sleep might even be attempted , I  could just sit here and finish them 

tumblr_nlyifpNRoY1tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

I packed up a bunch of my stuff because I was supposedly going to get a game today  but that fell through so I just put everything on a board with a little bit of terrain so I could take some pictures. 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto10_1280.jpg
There are large pictures under the spoiler count yerself warned 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto7_1280.jpgGot my Command squad of Sorts with  Denrir Ironarm ( Ironpriest)  and his cyber wolves , Bjorn Crushclaw (Wolf Lord Claw Fist ) , Fjolnir the Insane ( Wolf Priest) , Stybjorn Crushclaw( Wolf Lord KBS SS )  and Raal Moon touched ( Rune Priest with the Axe )

Behind them are the BjornGuard 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto2_1280.jpgOne Pack of Grey Hunters 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto3_1280.jpgAnother shot of the Bjornguard and everyone but Denrir  in one pack of Cavalry 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto4_1280.jpg

Then you have denrir and his boys 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto5_1280.jpg

Two Packs of Wolf Guard Bikers 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto1_1280.jpg

Another Pack of Grey Hunters in thier mkiii armor 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto6_1280.jpg

The 14th's  Fellblade 

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto8_1280.jpg

The 14th's Stormwolf Dropping off the Shield Maidens in a safe landing Crater it just made

tumblr_nmauosV0Ly1tdqdkto9_1280.jpgThe Last Pack of TWC and the Pup (IK ) 

Edited by Bladewolf

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the idea of the 14th company. The ideas you have for it are well thought out and your army is coming along quite nicely.

The rediculous thing is, if you had changed all the "4's" in your story to "3's" their probably wouldn't be anyone disagreeing with your approach.

When we pay what we do to be part of this hobby you can write whatever back story you damn well please for your army. I'll admit fully I'm not interested in reading quite a few of them, but you can bet full well I respect the time and effort put into them and would never be so arrogant as to tell that person they were wrong. Especially based upon something as fragile as what people view as 'established fluff'. I find it very narrow minded and even hypocritical to to get upset or up in arms about someones person fluff when you are part of a hobby who's parent company could fill an encyclopedia set worth of books with the amount of fluff they have changed, altered, removed, retconned etc etc. So what is that exactly? Established fluff? Something that probably wasn't the same 10 years ago and probably won't be the same 10 years from now.... All the power to you Blade.

As for female head swaps on marine bodies... I think they look fine. I just imagine your ladies look like this under that ceramite... lol

gallery_31762_5407_2856.jpg