Cadian 82nd Special Operations Group: a plog!

varchilde

Hi everyone,

One of my aims when I joined B&C was to start a painting blog, as a means to motivate me to paint some of the growing pile of guard minis. I might even ramble on about some background, tactics and so on.

So here we are, first post on a new plog

I'm currently playing in a 1k point campaign that gives bonus points if you field a fully painted force so the initial focus is to get paint onto my campaign force, which is roughly:

CCS in Chimera

Platoon, PCS, 2 Inf Squads

Plasma Carapace Vets in Chimera x2

Wyvern

Vanquisher

Plasma Cannon Sentinel

Pretty respectable amount of models!

And here (assuming I can get the links to work!) are some really rough pics. Still working out which way to point the camera :P

Command Squad 1

Command Squad 2

Infantry Squad

Going for a very simple paint scheme, table top quality.

C&C welcome.

Varchilde

Looking good there! They are table top quality without a problem mate. 

I see your doing the painting is a similar way as I do. Spraying the models in the base color you want, then add the minor colors and details. :) Fast and effective.

Good to see your WIP topic getting started! I love the green, looks a very nice shade and highlighted well. The basing is good too and matches with the trooper's scheme, so they'll look even better once you start getting more infantry done.

How far are you going with the tank weathering? I think it could do with a little more, perhaps a bit of Typhus Corrosion added in recesses? Keep us posted when you get more models done :tu:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! 

I'm deliberately trying to make this paint scheme as simple as possible. I nearly went nuts edge highlighting Dark Eldar kabalite armour last project so this is me trying something simple. Although the metal storm troopers I'm using as the vets have lots of lovely detail to pick out....

Vash: yes, you spotted the plan. Army Painter green spray everything then add the other colours. 

WarriorFish: no further on the tank weathering at the moment. I will get everything on the to do list to the same table top standard and will re-visit the detailing at that point. It's the same on the grunts; no squad markings at the moment; I'll hit the whole force in one go for consistency!

And no further painting today. I used my hobby time to sneak a visit to the local games club to spectate on some of the games in their tournament today. Had a chuckle as I watched a farseer kill himself on a perils giving away warlord and first blood :)

That's what I'm doing and it's a good idea, just don't fall into the trap I did and keep adding to your force to find you have Emperor only knows how many points worth of models painted to varying levels of skill all awaiting your return for a spruce up... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice and simple but effective scheme, good work :thumbsup:

I can't help but think that the sentinel could do with a little detailing though (windows etc ;) )

Thanks for comments!

Had another hour this afternoon so went with the advice; picked out the windows on the sentinel and some other details, and hit the aquilas on the helmets (went light grey with white highlight and then black wash to shade).

Next up, 3 plasma scions to get seconded into one of the vet squads (meltas in there at the moment...), then a chimera and the russ to hit the 1k mark.

Been erring and aahing about the Russ. Currently a Vanquisher in the list but thinking about running the autocannon variant as I'll be facing a lot of AV10 and 11 in upcoming games.

I'm a big fan of sponsons on Russes (especially the non-ordnance varieties), and have multi meltas on the Vanquisher (along with a hull las cannon).

I know that the multi meltas seem at odds with the long range of the other guns but I'm working from a position of only having the points for 1 russ in my list for dedicated AT and at BS3, two guns won't cut it. Hence get closer and shoot with 4!

That's also the thoughts behind running an Exterminator; I'm unlikely to be facing AV 14, so more lower strength shots is preferable. Again would run sponsons; probably heavy bolters.

I part of me wants to try the Exterminator - seems like the perfect tank for taking on my friend's Wave Serpent spam list. It'd actually be a decent tank for a Commander, as you can really use that extra BS to good effect with all the sponsons and the rate of fire. I'd personally throw two Multi-Meltas on mine for a vehicle hunter, though. Even outside of the 12" Melta range, 2 S8 AP1 shots can hurt a lot of stuff.

It suffers a little from being a jack-of-all-trades, but it's a cool looking tank with a lot of dakka!

More pics!  

Reworked Sentinel, having picked out the windows and some more details.

sentinel

Another shot of a veteran. Helmet Aquila picked out.

veteran

And todays distraction. My PDC Gaming gun tracks courtesy of their kickstarter.

Gun tracks

These are really fun little toys; the various weapons arrangements are swapable and will be used as HWTs. Gatling gun as autocannon/heavy bolter, rocket pod as missile launcher/mortar, and las cannon. 

Edit: I have a group shot but can't reduce the file size to less than 2Mb for upload. Any ideas how to reduce the size?

Edited by varchilde

Certainly do have plans for the future! There's a large queue of stuff waiting to be painted:

Lots of armour: another chimera, a taurox, 3 russes, a manticore and a shadowsword!

There's also about 25-30 scions and a vendetta for airborne support.

Plenty to keep me busy

• 2 weeks later...