Iron Warriors 2000 Points List

NonExistentOne

New member here. Getting ready to build a 30k army and would appreciate some feedback on this list.

My Goals:

Keep the list fluffy and competitive. Since this is a slow, plodding army, the idea is to draw the enemy in and blast them with my superior firepower.

Army:

HQ (280pts)
  • Master of Signal (Attached to Iron Havocs)

Artificer Armour, Refractor Field

• Siege Breaker (Attached to Tyrant Siege Terminators)
    Cataphractii Armor and Power Fist, 2x Phosphex Bombs, Refractor Field
Elites (505pts)
  • Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought

Extra Armour, Havoc Launcher, Two Twin-linked Lascannons

• Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad
Troops (450pts)
  • Legion Tactical Squad - 14x

Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Melta Bombs

• Legion Tactical Squad 14x

Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Melta Bombs

Heavy Support (765pts)
  • Iron Havoc Support Squad - 4x

Lascannon , 3x Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

• Iron Havoc Sergeant

Augury Scanner, Lascannon

• Legion Medusa - 2x, Extra Armour

• Legion Sicarian Battle Tank

Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Lascannons

Correct me if im wrong but your heavy support squad has to take all the same weapons you cant pick ddifferent ones.

Greetz Nick

Iron Havocs are not subject to this :) You can mix and match their equipment. 

Still tinkering with this army, like a true son of Perturabo.

Some thoughts:

Would it be ideal to go with barebones HQs and use the points to either flesh out my tactical squads or even get some Rapier Batteries (Destroyer Arrays/Thudd/Graviton)?

My friend pointed this out to me (original thought this was part of the Rite of War):

Wrack and Ruin: Iron Warriors do not suffer morale tests from shooting attacks and may re-roll failed pinning tests.

Would the Vexillas be redundant in this case?

Given the amount of Nuncio-Voxes I have on the table, I could swap the Medusas out for a Whirlwind Scorpius. However, if I do that, I would most likely drop the Siege Breaker.

Decisions, decisions.

I think the vexillas might still be a keeper. You might not have issues with being shot at but the vexillas will mitigate morale issues in assaults which are potentially more serious, like having units break and retreat off the board or get swept and overrun.

You may want to consider more hefty fire support since the way you're running your list is everything that isn't an artillery piece or a support unit is to walk up the field and get shot at.

While you could stick to cover, if you were suddenly faced with, say, a predator squadron that happened to have an Executionner in it, that AP2 pie plate will be a very nasty surprise, thats for sure.

Also, if your terminators (I'm assuming just 5 of them + Siege Breaker since it wasn't specified) were to find themselves in front of 1 or more 20 Man Tac blobs in Rapid Fire Range and were to get Fury Of the Legion'd, taking 80 shots is more or less guaranteed eradication (statistically speaking). So, having some form of transport or screening/fire support unit to keep anything they may run into occupied would be a good idea. Sadly, I don't think a single 14 man Tac Squad would cut it nor would the Contemptor. The medusas and Sicarian might be able to provide that but that remains to be seen.

Personally, I'd drop the Iron Havocs or specialize them more + add more marines to the squad if you could. If you drop them I'd get Rapier Batteries. Armament is up to you and how you would want to specialize them. Lasdestroyers would make for good anti-tank, Thudd Guns for anti-infantry and Graviton Cannons a decent middle of the road choice since they have Haywire and create Dangerous and Difficult terrain. If you do take rapiers I'd say take 3 or don't at all.

If you can, try to give the Medusas Phosphex shells. With your Nuncio-Vox's and the potential proximity of a the Master of Signal, you're less likely to have them scatter over your own troops.

That said, I'm not too familiar with how Iron Warriors play nor their rules...

Edit: Keep the Vexillas. Morale/Pinning Check redundancies are a good thing. Scorpius is also a good idea.

I'm going to go the opposite route from the others here and say that Vexillas aren't necessary for Iron Warriors players.  You have shooty tacs, dont get them into melee and don't worry about the Vexilla.  

Definitely use regular shells on the Medusa.  At least as far as I've seen, S10 AP2 is wildly better than a slight adjustment to hit.

Personally, I'd drop the Iron Havocs or specialize them more + add more marines to the squad if you could. If you drop them I'd get Rapier Batteries. Armament is up to you and how you would want to specialize them. Lasdestroyers would make for good anti-tank, Thudd Guns for anti-infantry and Graviton Cannons a decent middle of the road choice since they have Haywire and create Dangerous and Difficult terrain. If you do take rapiers I'd say take 3 or don't at all.

I agree, now I look at the list more I think the Havocs are too small and unspecialized here to do much good. A key issue in the legiones astartes lists is the unit taxes that make it inefficient to buy minimum size squads. What about dropping them and beefing up the Terminators? You could add 3-4 more for x8-9 heavy 2 cyclone launcher beat (basically doing the job of the havocs already but x2, without the flakk though), and use the remaining points to buff your tac squads. I haven't played with or against them but everything I've heard of the Siege Terminators makes them sound like a real pain in the ass. If the master of signal is hanging out in a tac blob you could trade a nuncio-vox for an extra tac marine too. +1 BS to 15+ marines using fury of the legion shouldn't be underestimated, he'll still spot for the medusas, and if he's close enough he can buff the siege terminators instead.

Sidenotes: whatever you do, if the MoS is with the havocs you don't need an augury scanner on the havoc sergeant as the MoS's cognis-signum counts as one already. 5 points hooray. I also don't think you need a refractor field on the siege master if he's in cataphractii? He already gets 4++ and the field just offers 5++ so it's redundant, unless I'm missing something that boosts the save somehow. And I'm not sure how often you'll be tossing phosphex bombs at 6", especially if he's attached to foot-slogging tyrants. You might only need one but that'll come up with playtesting I guess.

• 2 months later...

Wow it's been awhile. Real life (New job, moving) and the new book/FAQ derailed my plans a bit but I'm still hoping to proceed so as long nothing else gets in my way. Without further ado, an updated army list:

HQ (240pts)

• Legion Centurion

Master of Signal, Artificer Armour (Joins Quad Mortars)

• Legion Centurion (Joins Tyrant Siege Terminators)

Siege Breaker, Cataphractii, Power Fist

Elites (500pts)
  • Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

Quad Mortar

Quad Mortar

Quad Mortar

• Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad

5x Chainfist, Tyrant Siege Master, 4x Tyrant Terminator

Troops (450pts)

• Legion Tactical Squad

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Dozer Blades

• Legion Tactical Sergeant, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

Artificer Armor, Power Fist, Nuncio-Vox

• Legion Tactical Squad

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Dozer Blades

• Legion Tactical Sergeant, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

Artificer Armor, Power Fist, Nuncio-Vox

Heavy Support (810pts)
  • Iron Havoc Support Squad

7x Iron Havoc, 7x Missile Launcher

• Iron Havoc Sergeant

Augury Scanner, Missile Launcher

• Legion Artillery Tank Squadron
    • Legion Medusa

(Phosphex Shells) Optional

• Legion Medusa

(Phosphex Shells) Optional

• Legion Sicarian Battle Tank

Armoured Ceramite, Lascannons

I like this updated list a lot, really plays to the strengths of the Iron Warriors and fits their style as well. Only thing I might change is dropping a havoc so your Tactical Sgts can take Powerfists and Artificer Armor. 

Took your advice and dropped two Havocs to tool up my sarges. That leaves 10 points free.

Archived