How to paint translucent colored cockpit canopies

I haven't played with it directly, but I would think that you would want to use the Tamiya clear on the inside of the "glass canopy" and in thin layers. If you are going to use the GW glazes, you are probably going to want to thin them some and make sure they don't pool, they might be too opaque once dried if you don't.

I think I read online that's Tamiya Clear Red. At any rate, it looks just like others I've seen that were. As for gloss, you should paint the inside. I personally think glass SHOULD be as glossy as you can get, but if that's not what you're going for, just stick to the interior.  

If you're going for a more subtle color, scale modelers tint Future floor polish and dip the canopy in that. I've done it on a Storm Talon and it worked, but it was far less tinted. 

I’d advise spraying it rather than brushing it on, if you want an even finish. Brush strokes shown up very easily in transparent paint applied to a clear part.

I used tamiya smoke (a clear black) for my storm raven cock pit. Thin it just slightly and use a wet-on-wet approach to get rid of the brush strokes. Practice on something first.

Archived