Battleforged armies and force organizations

Jostal

Yes, you can have as many detachment as you like (and points permit). You can even have multiple allied detachments of the same faction. The allied faction only needs to be different from the primary faction.

So i could do a Primary detachment of space marines and have an imperial guard allied Detachment, Inquisition allied detachment AND Grey Knight Allied Detachment?

Another Question. In the current force org setups can you take a lord of war choice from any codex? Like Kaldor Draigo, can he be taken as a Lord of War Choice with a space marine army? Or maybe Logan?

So i could do a Primary detachment of space marines and have an imperial guard allied Detachment, Inquisition allied detachment AND Grey Knight Allied Detachment?

Yes. Codex Marines are also fun in that you can actually have Codex Marines allied to it, too, they just have to be using a different Tactics from the Primary.

Also keep in mind, you aren't limited to Allied Detachments for any non-Primary Detachment, either.

Another Question. In the current force org setups can you take a lord of war choice from any codex? Like Kaldor Draigo, can he be taken as a Lord of War Choice with a space marine army? Or maybe Logan?

Lords of War must be an option for that codex. So no Baneblades for Ultramarines, just Imperial Guard. Logan Grimnar can only be in a Space Wolves Detachment that has a Lord of War slot (or Unbound), and not in a Blood Angels or Raven Guard Detachment.

• 2 weeks later...

On that note, can a battleforged army only use allies following the allied detachment force org chart or can I also with just a formation, as they count their own force org chart?

For example; can I run my main detachment from grey knights using the combined arms detachment and an allied stormwing formation and still count as battleforged?

I might be asking something obvious here but I haven't completely understood formations yet; I can actually build an army consisting of only formations (and no actual detachments like combined arms) and still count as battleforged?

On that note, can a battleforged army only use allies following the allied detachment force org chart or can I also with just a formation, as they count their own force org chart?

For example; can I run my main detachment from grey knights using the combined arms detachment and an allied stormwing formation and still count as battleforged?

Yes. Formations are Detachments, too. Battle-Forged simply means that your army is organized in to defined detachments, instead of the free-form of Unbound.

If you had a Grey Knight Storm Raven and two Storm Talons, but no other C:SM units, it would be Unbound. Putting them together and switching the Raven to Codex, allows you to declare them as part of the Formation Detachment, and so Battle-Forged, paint not-withstanding.

Yes. Formations are Detachments, too. Battle-Forged simply means that your army is organized in to defined detachments, instead of the free-form of Unbound.

If you had a Grey Knight Storm Raven and two Storm Talons, but no other C:SM units, it would be Unbound. Putting them together and switching the Raven to Codex, allows you to declare them as part of the Formation Detachment, and so Battle-Forged, paint not-withstanding.

Cool and thanks for the very clear explanation! :)

Actually, since the GK Stormraven is identical to the SM Stormraven, you could take a Stormraven and two Stormtalons in the Skyhammer Formation painted up as Grey Knights. Looks great, give your GK some Talons, and since the Formation never benefits from Chapter Tactics, it really doesn't matter which chapter they are "representing".

SJ

Actually, since the GK Stormraven is identical to the SM Stormraven, you could take a Stormraven and two Stormtalons in the Skyhammer Formation painted up as Grey Knights. Looks great, give your GK some Talons, and since the Formation never benefits from Chapter Tactics, it really doesn't matter which chapter they are "representing".

SJ

That's why I said "paint not-withstanding". The Raven must operate according to the C:SM Rules, and not the Grey Knights, in order to be in the Stormwing Formation. The difference isn't much NOW, but it used to be and may again in the future, so be aware.

You can't take the Inquisition as an 'Allied' Detachment, but as an Inquisitorial Detachment.

But you can take as many of those as you'd like.

You can't take an Allied Detachment of the Inquisition, Assassins, or Imperial Knights because of their lack of Troops or HQs, but they can be an allied detachment of certain names. msn-wink.gif

Lowercase a or Capital A. A lot of difference! msn-wink.gif

Indeed it is, when written. Hard to hear it when spoken, though...

(As a community, we should probably try to move away from calling other Factions 'Allies'!)

Perhaps. Part of it is recognizing the Primary Detachment as the "Main" Detachment. Something brought on by 6th Edition. That leaves every other Detachment as an "allied" (though not Allied) detachment. The game rules even recognize each detachment is considered an allied detachment.

They really need a better name for Allied Detachment, like Light Detachment or something else, especially because of the above paragraph.

Archived