Lorgar Aurelian: Primarch of the XVIIth Legion.

Lorgar Aurelian: Primarch of the XVIIth Legion

"All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth."
— Opening Lines of the "Book of Lorgar", First Canticle of Chaos.

15003725088_b22d3aa2c5.jpg

“The Favoured son of Chaos, Our Lord and our mentor, The bearer of truth. He is with us today, And upon all the battlefields where we strive, Bringing faith to the faithless, And death to the heedless. Always he watches, and lends us his strength.”

– Unknown passage form The Epistles of Lorgar.

So, I have finally got around to painting Lorgar. I picked this up very cheap from eBay over the Summer and have been waiting for an opportunity to really spend some quality time painting it to do justice to this awesome model. Building the model was great fun; I was pleasantly surprised by the variation in poses one can achieve as I had only seen him assembled one way before. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to, I have no plans for a 30k army any time soon so he will be purely for display purposes (although I may proxy him as a Black Mace Daemon Prince in my 40k army) for now and as such, the display base is permanent and the gaps filled with Green Stuff so he can no longer be removed on his smaller base. I prefer this however though as I feel it just looks better withough the huge gaps where parts of the rock were removable.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy, [not that I don't normally but] I'll definitely be tring to paint this to the best of my ability so any comments are greatly appreciated. I hear good things of the Horus Heresy forums anyway so thought I would share it here.

Massive update for you from all the work I did yesterday plus this morning. I wish I had taken photos along the way but only thought of putting it up earlier today so I only have the assembled photo and how it looks right now.
So, the base is done except the rim which will be the last thing I do or it gets chipped handling it so much during painting. His face is pretty much finished too as I painted this seperately while I basecoated the body. Almost all of the rest of him (apart from the odd still white patch) has been basecoated and washed. Now having to wait for it to dry so thought I would update with progress.

15553291179_26662b1942.jpg

Thanks again Vidius! Really appreciate the kind words :)

All Hail Brother Anaziel!! :D Thank you! Same here, I adore the model, just had to get it. Can't wait to get Erebus and Kor Phaeron too.

Welcome to the XVIIth Legion too mate, seen a few posts by you lately talking about plans to start your own army so I'm looking forward to seeing that progress. Not sure if ou have decided on Red or Grey yourself yet, but I'm happy to share my recipes for any of the colours you like on Lorgar, just give me a shout and I'll put stage by stage guides up.

I have finally decided on the red scheme. Even though I would love to make a pre-heresy WB army the grey really isnt pulling me in. And I really love red.

Speaking of recipes, Im always interested in hearing how other people paint and Im especially interested in your gold, it looks really nice.

Brilliant!! I have to agree, the Grey just doesn't do it for me like the Red. Plus, when I think Word Bearers, the deep red is always what I associate with them.

Anyway, here are my Red and Gold recipes as I know them by heart now.

Red:

Base - Khorne Red.

Wash - Agrax Earthshade (1 coat should suffice but with some patches of armour 2 was needed to make sure it filled all the engraved runes).

Second Coat - Drybrushed Khorne Red. That is the stage I'm at on the photo above.

Highlight - Lightly Drybrushed Wazdakka Red.

Gold:

Base - Balthasar Gold.

Wash - Agrax Earthshade.

Second Coat - Drybrushed Gehenna's Gold. Again, that is the stage of the photo above.

Highlight - Drybrushed Mix of Gehenna's Gold and Ironbreaker.

Cheers :)

Nice, thank you! My red is similar, although I use druchi violet for the shades because its a good balance point between red (the base colour) and blue (which is on the oposite side of the colour wheel). I also add a final highlight (very light) of orange, only the most raised areas.

You're welcome! Nice, I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress as I'm very interested in how that scheme comes out.

15742295425_844431ab60.jpg

Cloak now added and armour finished on his torso. While also a red, the Cloak was highlighted up to an Orange/Red mix to be slightly different. Thinking of using another colour for the other side though.

Archived