Chaos Gate

Cian

Finaly after 15-20 years finished Chaos Gate on the PC after starting it on Play station all those years ago.

Final Liberation next which ive never played before, then Rites of War which ive never played either and finishing with Shadow of the Horned Rat which i also started 15-20 years ago. :-)

Cian

Rites of war & final liberation will not load on my PC :-(

I do have a really old PC (14 years).

So, back to Chaos gate !

Cian

Yeah, your PC's not old enough to run Final Liberation properly.

You can run it on an XP machine by disabling the videos though.

Right have to get my techie mate to show me how thats done Furyou Miko and yes Xenith i had a lot of crashes but learnt to save game often.

CG is really slow but i have enjoyed playing it, i prefer war games more than first person, i like DoW to and will probably go back to that soon!

Cian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to add a bit of info 'for the record' for anybody who gives Chaos Gate a go (it and it's 1.2 patch are available on the internet after all) but struggles with it crashing. I found the following information on a forum (I'm not sure where, or by whom) and it solves crashes relating to black screen on load (which I believe is related to video decoers falling over) and the crash on las-pistol shot (related to the audio encoding).

2004-06-11 07:18:30

1st thread posted under chaos gate solution

Right after a long grewling 6 hours of messing with setting try the following;

Uninstall

Re-install but ensure destination directory is eight charictors or less. I used (c:\chaos)

You must set Desktop resolution to 640x480,16 Bit colour,any refresh rate works up to 144 mhz

Use gpedit.msc to enable "run in seperate memory space" check box to run dialog box located under user configuration,administritive templates,start menu and task bar

Then goto start,run and type "command.com /c C:\chaos\WH40K.exe" without the quotation.

The game will now load and no longer crashes when the early level enimies fire.

Do not use the compatibility tool, always use the command line option. Even thou the compatibility tool enables the ability to load the game through windows but it will crash very early in to the game.

I fixed this problem on my PC for my friend as he is a great fan of war hammer games so all thanx to Luke.

2nd thread posted under chaos gate solution

The black screen part is definately to do with the resolution as it is switches modes, i have just set my resolution to 1020x768 and run the game, the game start to load in the command.com dos box, screen goes black and then it exits. I changed the resolution back to 640x480, started the game again and it loads fine. I have now also checked the colour depth and it still loads fine with either 16Bit colour or 32Bit colour.

The version I am running is the origional, no patches.
XP has Service pack 1 installed
Direct X V9.0a is installed and has not error on dxdiag
The Video Driver is nv4_disp.dll V6.14.0010.5216 WHQL (geforce4)

Brok-en-coder

I have sucessfully played this game on Windows 95 (in the good old days), 98, XP, and Windows 7 and the above information has reduced the crash rate to a tollerable level (better than Elder Scrolls or Fallout :p). Just save often, and it should be ok. I hope this information is useful to fellow fans of nostalgia.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I would like to see a "HD" version for tablets and on Steam. One can only hope...

Yeah, when Steam started getting games like Dark Forces running with compatibility I was like, "Come on steam, now do Chaos Gate and Final Liberation and I'll throw even more money at you!"

To be fair it crashed a lot back when I bought it new.

But the sound effects and voices were the best.

"I hold your death in my hands!"

"Starfire will devour your soul!"

"And it will be MY boot that grinds your bones to dust."

Archived