Drakeslayers - Kine G'namadth (Hounds) Completed

Bryan Blaire

Jorim, I can get some comparison pics between the Ironbreaker shields, Grey Slayer shields, Terminator storm shields, and Wulfen shields so that you can get a good idea of the size.

Three of the axes are from the Ironbreakers kit, with the double bitted one mounted onto a power axe haft. The largest bladed one with the angular knotwork is actually a bit I snagged from a bits exchange box at one of the FLGSs (Dwarf Longbeard kit, I believe), and I made the haft from a Dwarven banner pole (I think also from the Ironbreakers kit).

Yeah I'd appreciate that, I would like to get the grey slayer shields but they always seem to be out of stock when I check forge world.

Here you go Jorim!

Ironbreaker-> PA SW Pack -> Grey Slayer -> TDA SW kit -> Wulfen

med_gallery_59244_10222_5361.jpeg

(Click image for larger version)

The TDA SS and Grey Slayer shield are almost the same size, and a bit smaller than the Wulfen ones. The Ironbreakers shields would work well as Combat Shields, but they seem like they'd be too small to act as a SS for Bladeguard.

I had to actually do the "Notify Me" for the Grey Slayer kit, and I still missed it a couple of times, but I managed to luck out one day and snagged it. I'm not sure if it is just really popular, or not replenished much.

man these hounds are going to be cool

Thanks Wispy, I'm hoping so! Wish they had some better rules, but at least it's a pretty tasty themed unit. Getting everything final prepped for priming and considering color scheme for them.

Edit: *sigh* Looks like Mother Nature is going to conspire against me and hold the humidity up too high until the weekend to properly prime. :facepalm:

• 1 month later...

Hopefully these continue to please!

I had a goal of getting these done in a month, but I've missed that particular deadline - so I'm revising to finish by Valentines Day - really hoping that I can hit that particular mark. At this point, almost everything is base-coated.

Everything currently gold except the knotwork in the shoulders and the knotwork/accent designs on the axe blades is going to be bronze - I wanted something to mark out these guys are "elites", but also that they are more subdued due to their hunting/stalking nature. They also have a limited grey to match their normal battle brothers some, but their dark green/blue/grey armor coloration.

So I had chalked the dark teal armor up to a weird call by GW, but I actually did some research on green stormy skies (a phenomenon I have never personally witnessed this and didn't know about it), and it is apparently a thing: https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/green-sky-thunderstorm-hail So kudos to GW on that and I relented and did the same (but darker).

Bodies:

med_gallery_59244_10222_598467.jpeg

Heads:

sml_gallery_59244_10222_64319.jpegsml_gallery_59244_10222_243729.jpeg

Axe and Blade Arms:

med_gallery_59244_10222_16608.jpeg

Gun Arms:

med_gallery_59244_10222_761124.jpeg

Power Packs/Plants (upside down):

med_gallery_59244_10222_419146.jpeg

The helmets were an idea to try something a little more stylized - I was hoping it communicated a wolf-esque visual. I didn't want the basic "scary" Reiver masks for these guys - I imagine them as more of the "silent" stalkers of psykers than the roaring terror troops the Reivers are (post-ambush). I've got two leather masked heads I'm going to use, but those will likely be completed as a separate batch.

Anyway, enough talkie-talkie - hope these guys look nice and I'm headed back to shade these mini bad boys...

Thanks gents! :lol: - Bjorn, me too! Not going to be much weathering though, likely just some dust. Decals, bases, shaded, and highlighted soon though. I've got three weeks.

I found a wolf tail talisman that didn't get base coated - bloody buttered onions. :facepalm:

Triszin - yeah, it's a little jarring the disparity, but I'm hoping they just work because a lot of my armor colors probably won't match up perfect - already have two different shades as it is.

Back to the shading!

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, here's the first shaded and edge highlighted (mostly) Kine G'namadth:

med_gallery_59244_10222_246660.jpeg

(click image to view larger size)

It's rougher than I feel like I wanted, but there's been little clean up on this, and not everything is highlighted to the first level, but I feel like it's a pretty good representative of what they'll look like. A couple more highlight layers and they should be ready to hunt.

These are fantastic.

Your grey schemes are beautiful and the contrast between them and the red and gold is striking in the best of ways.

Did you ever figure out a better mold process?

Thanks Wulf Vengis!

I've been trying to keep all my color schemes for these guys in a post on page three of this log.

Sadly my two part molds did not turn out well at all and the clamps ended up providing too much pressure, so right now I'm just using press molds which seem to work just fine with me just pushing the green stuff/Miliput mix into the molds, with 24-48 hours curing. Since I'm using Blue Stuff/Oyumaru for the molds, I usually look at the bit produced and decide if it's a good enough quality to reuse, or make a new mold - not hard to do when you can just cut up the old one, almost boil water in a microwave, and toss the blue material in to remake and press again.

Once I'm done with the Kine G'namadth, I'll return to some Hunter and Claw packs and gussy them up some more with Wolf bits (I'm also plotting a Rune Priest with all the raised runes I've molded, as well as a Wolf Priest).

-----------

Got the Kine G'namadth mostly assembled, although they are not yet fully shaded or with initial highlights on all parts of the model, and two are missing their masked heads:

med_gallery_59244_10222_314014.jpeg

(click image for larger image size)

I went with a black metallic finish on their axe blades - Adamantium Black (Reaper, has a blue tone) with Nuln Oil Gloss for non-shadow areas, Nuln Oil matte:gloss for blended areas, and straight Nuln Oil for shadowed areas. I'm going to do as fine as possible a Iron Warriors edge highlight, and bright point highlights with either Leadbelcher or Ironbreaker.

I've found that while I think the following axe size would be patently absurd in real life, it is actually the size I wish I'd used for all these guys now, as the smaller hatchet sizes probably should have gone to Incursors instead.

I do like how this guy looks, even with the large axe - and while the stance may seem impractical given the axe size and physics working on that massive blade, I have self justified it with my thought that they can likely lock out certain servos, making the armor and fiber bundles due most of the work holding weapons steady.

med_gallery_59244_10222_2941.jpeg

(click image for larger image size)

All in all, I think this pack is coming along, progress is in spurts and while I'd like to be more consistent, it just doesn't seem to be how I work.

And then I still have to get into their basing - I'm actually hoping that that perhaps I can fake some dusty build up with a glaze and dry brushing.

------------

Edit: Follow up after looking at them more: I was previously planning on only using a few of the lighter power packs on some of the Phobos armored guys - with the idea that lighter armor probably doesn't need as much power, and then I could mix some of the Reiver packs in with some of the Intercessors. I definitely think Tacticus power packs are too big for classic Astartes armor, but damn, I like the look of the Wolf classic style power packs on these guys. Now I fear I don't have enough power packs for the non-Primaris I still have in the pipeline.

I guess I really need to bite the bullet and learn to sculpt with GS to add some trim or something to the basic Primaris power packs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn, you've made me like the Reiver grapple hook gun thingy (I've hated them from day one)- looks so much cooler with the grapple claws extended like the guy in the right of the shot. And the bone coloured wolf heads on his back pack really stands out.

Thanks, and glad you like how the grapple turned out! I really did not want to futz with trying to get a good positioning for the Hound with that dinky, easy to snap bit, so snip snip, it be came a “just opening while charging forward” piece. I’d like to close the tines on it a bit, but that would have taken more converting than I really wanted to invest at the time - it takes me long enough to get stuff done.

Great work

Appreciate it Burias!

Great stuff. Very tempted to start work on my Hounds of Morkai, would be nice if the Deathsworn heads were in stock though.

I like the Deathsworn heads, glad I was able to pick the kit up, but there are some 3rd party bits that I think I’d use instead if I was doing an entire unit with the wolf skull style helm. The Hounds are a really cool unit idea, IMO, but very lacking in rules, like the Reivers they are based from.

+———————————————+

I’ve been away for a long while now from the painting table due to work needs, but I got back to it last night, and these guys are very close to being called done.

Proof I actually worked on some things! All the bases are done, and while there’s a bit too much dust on the boots, I figure these guys have probably been maneuvering in the sand/dust hunting longer than the rest of the Wolves’ combat force on planet.

med_gallery_59244_10222_13037.jpeg

(click for large version)

Something I did try new with these guys was flooding the areas I wanted more sand/dust deposited in the crevasses for with water, and then just putting a bare tip of the brush with the dust color into it - the capillary action did a pretty good job of pulling the paint into the crevasse and leaving a water dried grime staining behind - you can sort of see it on that base, but when I get these guys fully done (minus decals), I’ll try to get some better pics that show it a bit more.

Hoping to get back and start posting in some of the other work threads here, and abroad the wider B&C, because I’ve kept tabs on some really cool work being done even though I’ve been preoccupied, and it’s worth telling y’all that!

• 1 month later...

Svarnir Ironblood finally got his Great Company marking:

med_gallery_59244_10222_74362.jpeg
(click to see larger image)

“A little too close to the pauldron” gratuitous close-up:
med_gallery_59244_10222_45646.jpeg
(click to see larger image)

I should probably paint some battle damage on that icon - at least some paint chips to match it’s surroundings.

And now, for the new additions, the crazed pack willing to throw themselves into battle with foul sorcery afoot:

Björnsten Thriceskulled
med_gallery_59244_10222_127167.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_48040.jpeg
med_gallery_59244_10222_211467.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_260739.jpeg
(click for larger images)

Björnsten is named the Thriceskulled for the ancient Deathsworn skull helm he bears, his skull’s seeming resistance to the mental intrusions of sorcerers and maleficarum, as well as the savage head-butt kill he achieved against a warlock who brawled with Björnsten after both were disarmed, his spells seeming to slide off the Wolf.

(And now I notice that his damn little computer screen never got done…)

Haukr Duskfiend
med_gallery_59244_10222_219988.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_516748.jpeg
med_gallery_59244_10222_229506.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_49387.jpeg
(click for larger images)

I was trying to show a good shot of the gem on the axe, the difference between the worn gold and the oiled bronze metals, and how the bases are composed:
med_gallery_59244_10222_352548.jpeg
(click for larger image)

Haukr is the second brother of the Kine G’namadth - I tried to show that he’s starting to show his grey (I don’t like the idea that Marines age normally, so I follow a “Become ‘grey hunter’ level when they begin showing grey, not fully grey” philosophy) - there are grey streaks in both his beard and hair. It’s probably really hard to see (I know where it is because I put it there and I still find it hard to see) though.

Torgil Grimhearted
med_gallery_59244_10222_350993.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_295845.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_10748.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_404271.jpeg
(click for larger image)

Torgil bears a helm painted by an artisan to resemble a grey wolf head with barred teeth at the end of the “muzzle” of the helm, against the “heart of a winter hurricane” green of the Kine G’namadth armor.

Rungnir Stonearm
med_gallery_59244_10222_473638.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_323951.jpeg
med_gallery_59244_10222_373412.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_337270.jpeg
(click for larger image)

I’m proud of the way the gems and axe turned out on Rungnir, so I’m including some additional close up images for those:
sml_gallery_59244_10222_96595.jpegsml_gallery_59244_10222_309629.jpegsml_gallery_59244_10222_80320.jpeg
(click for larger image)

Rungnir shows his graying hair with a streak in his prominent beard braid, as well as going toward the rear of his beard.

Haldor the Younger
med_gallery_59244_10222_55267.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_260923.jpeg
med_gallery_59244_10222_364073.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_305088.jpeg
(click for larger image)

Haldor bears the only non-modified power pack in the squad, with a new Phobos power pack adorned with totemic items - his previous power pack was destroyed in the combat event that precipitated his undergoing the Rubicon Primaris process.

All his battle brothers bear legacy power packs (some of very ancient provenance) that have been modified with additional power cycles and emergency venting by the Iron Priests to provide enough energy surge to cover active combat situations, but deliver lower energy to meet requirements during stalking and observing periods.

Group Pict-Capture:
med_gallery_59244_10222_583960.jpeg
(click for larger image)

The heavier dust on their boots is supposed to represent a bit longer time on surface that their compatriots, who should necessarily have less than the Kine G’namadth display - the hunting Kine are typically inserted before even the infiltration units of Drakeslayer assault forces to give them time to identify and possibly slay any sorcerous power wielders they can find to limit friendly exposure.

I think they still need something more, so I’ve been considering trying to do some pin wash style/wet loaded brush glazing into the crevices to show a bit more grime build up there - thoughts?

Finally, the unit, being a much more shadow/infiltration hunt oriented unit than most that would be found in the Elites section of the force organization table, bears minimal shining gold, instead using oiled bronze on most of their armor and weapon fittings where you would normally find gold instead, limiting their use of worn/ancient gilding to minimal weapon surface ornamentation and their knot-work on the right shoulder armor plate.

———————————————————————————

I apologize for my lack of response in most of the threads here - I typically try to respond more than just click Like, however, some life events over the last few months have robbed me of a lot of creativity and enjoyment in my usual interactions due to stress. Things are getting better recently, so I hope to return to more interaction than I have been showing for a while. This hopefully also explains the lack of decent fluff for these guys - I’m working on it, and will get that posted at some point. I prefer to have more fluff on my units that I’ve woven here.

I appreciate any and all comments, or even just Likes, and I appreciate all Frater in this forum for encouraging each other and just showing interest in what others are doing!

Looking lovely!!

Thank you Badgers!  Hope the final product is as pleasing.

Sooo many trinkets. I'm jealous of your patience.

Hah!  It’s really not too bad once you get them on the armor and start painting - it just sort of flows then.  I’ve told you before, but I really like the stylized way you do your guys and you have already gotten more of them done in like six months than I have gotten Wolves done in probably six years now.

Fine work.

Thank you Bjorn, I appreciate you always taking the time to comment - it’s something I need to do more of as well.

Excellent work!

Hvitr, I still bow before your superior workmanship - you have a great package of modeling and painting!