Drakeslayers - Kine G'namadth (Hounds) Completed

Bryan Blaire

I have a similar color scheme and have decided to use red / orange / yellow (superheated type effect) for my power weapons, blues / whites for frost weapons, and greens for force weapons. Just a thought.

I like the contrast with the power weapons and fitting for frozen death world. The frost weapons I am going with the diamond concept (when I get there) and the force weapons (again in time) are a nod to the Fenris "summers".

My skills are nowhere near yours but I have a few things up in my gallery.

Crazywolf

Thanks for the ideas, Crazywolf! I already do red and green power field effects for other armies, so I'm going to end up staying away from those (although a purple and green Warp effect will be making it's way to a Librarian near my painting table at some point in the near-ish - which means like two years - future).

I dove into your gallery, you've got some nice stuff in there! Did the Terminators from ETL IV ever get completed? I like your red/orange/yellow power fist on the Dread, and the wooden shield is a nice touch!

As far as "skills", thank you for the compliment, but I've just improved over the years as I keep painting, my early models were terrible. Decent shades and glazes have helped speed me up a lot (which is sad considering I get like 4 models a year done... Although I'll easily exceed that this year if I can just focus enough to get these four Wolves done before I end up moving to something else) and improved the quality of my work. I use mostly GW paints simply to keep me from having to constantly mix paint colors, since I like most of those colors anyway. I'm still exploring interesting ways to layer things though, to get new effects.

I was dubious when you said storm grey, but these are lovely looking Space Wolves!

Thanks Wraithwing! To be honest, I didn't know if it was going to look good when I mixed the color up, but I like it a lot better than the lighter blue of the current Wolves. I'm trying out a new gold recipe, I haven't decided yet whether I like it complete yet, but most of the shading is done on the four guys I'm currently working on. It's about time to move to arms, then I have to decide on hair colors.

No, those TDA got stalled. Still WIP due to life. I haven't been really able to do much since ETL due to work etc. Thanks for the compliments. I wil update the gallery once I finish the TDA.

Awesome man, all we can do is keep trucking forward. I've had to learn to look at the hobby as a very long term (like I'll need the next 180 years of life or so to finish what I currently have squirreled away to paint to actually get done, at my pace), but I hope you keep them moving forward.

I'm looking at the new Space Wolves transfer sheet that appears to be coming with the next compaign supplement. I do really like how the campaign supplement will bring a new transfer sheet plus team up both of my Marine factions that I like the most (Angels Encarmine are cool, but like my DA Successor + SW Company brotherly rivalry stuff more)! At least I won't have to freehand the Drakeslayers Company sigil, seriously, that's a pain.

Anyway, shading is almost done with these guys, have the legs of one, plus one more guy to finish with Agrax Earthshade, then the next thing that should be done is arms and heads. Once that's finalized, it'll be time to start highlighting and figuring out what I am going to do basing wise for these gents.

that storm grey is marvellous.

I've been looking for a grey-that's-almost-blue-and-a-blue-that's-almost grey forever. So close together that you can't tell. Yours is close, like a blue tinged Mechanicus Standard Grey some here use. I'd like to accomplish the same sort of effect but with a brighter blue-tinged-Dawnstone.

Since I am a Vallejo user I mix the VGC Sombre Gray and VMC Black Gray in either 4:3 (for PA) or 3:4 for vehicles, TDA, or anything else that has been in the chapter for a long period of time.

@Wispy: Going lighter might be a difference in ratio. I think the VMC London Gray with the Sombre Gray may work as well. I know that the Sombre Gray was an equivalent for GW Shadow Gray which was close to the Fang. Or just using the codex or admin gray with the fang might do what you want.

I got the last of the work I'll be able to do on my Wolves for a while complete, they are now all shaded up and awaiting arms, heads and highlights. And me to decide on hair colors. These Wolves will be a bit darker skin toned than usual, I want to depict a world with a different solar radiation level that has activated their melanochrome.

med_gallery_59244_10222_111660.jpg

med_gallery_59244_10222_92595.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brother Crazywolf, I'm slowly working toward doing my faces now, so we'll see what I can pull off. Also going to be working out their hair. Three bare heads is actually filling me with some trepidation.

Probably pretty close to done with the bodies, not sure if I'll do the heads or arms next.

med_gallery_59244_10222_33708.jpg

I love your wolves dude. It's such a smooth paint job

I can only second that. Clean and smooth paint job. And the colour scheme fits them well. I like it a lot. It's darker then our official colours, but still as that blue/grey tint.

So the first bare head is done, and while the skin tone is a bit darker than I was trying to achieve, I'm not necessarily displeased with how it turned out. I'll probably try and lighten it some more for the next one, or I may just keep it this way across all my guys. Makes it look like they have been fighting on a heavy radiation world.

sml_gallery_59244_10222_17423.jpg

RikuEru, glad you like the tone. I prefer the darker color (and IMO vibe) it gives them. I think that my next couple of hair colors will be more trials of a true ginger and a chestnut red-brown.

Wraith, thanks as always, man! I've been following your thread, just need to get over there and post. The Thunderwolves you've got going right now look awesome, and I really like the varied colorations you are working with!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

So the first bare head is done, and while the skin tone is a bit darker than I was trying to achieve, I'm not necessarily displeased with how it turned out. I'll probably try and lighten it some more for the next one, or I may just keep it this way across all my guys. Makes it look like they have been fighting on a heavy radiation world.sml_gallery_59244_10222_17423.jpg

RikuEru, glad you like the tone. I prefer the darker color (and IMO vibe) it gives them. I think that my next couple of hair colors will be more trials of a true ginger and a chestnut red-brown.

Wraith, thanks as always, man! I've been following your thread, just need to get over there and post. The Thunderwolves you've got going right now look awesome, and I really like the varied colorations you are working either!

Cheers dude, appreciate it.

The darker skin tone looks great. Really liking where you're going with these guys.

Alright, the darker skin tone was a bit too dark, so I went back and lightened it up some to fit the tone more to what I was thinking.

All the heads are done on the Four Amigos, hope you enjoy! Starting on the base coating on the arms.

med_gallery_59244_10222_10188.jpg

Wraith, thanks a bunch!

R_P_R, glad you like it and that you feel it makes the models work better!

So my pack is coming much farther along! Completely forgot to put the rune text for Fenris on the chest of the guy with the large scroll, but oh well. None of the arms are highlighted yet, but that's because I wanted to wait until I got the pauldrons on to make sure I'm doing the right highlights.

Not much in the way of accessories yet, but I've got plans!

med_gallery_59244_10222_149513.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So finally got some time to work on the pauldrons and pack markings, got them shaded and glued:

med_gallery_59244_10222_204009.jpg

med_gallery_59244_10222_264934.jpg

Time to work on some highlights and figure out what I am going to do for basing. I think the pack marking came out really well, but I still think I want to look at some chainsword details.

I'm glad you guys have liked looking at these chaps so far, I appreciate all the kind words. Wispy, I used a 1:1 Fang:Eshin Grey, so you could easily achieve a lighter color by replacing the Eshin with Dawnstone.