Drakeslayers - Kine G'namadth (Hounds) Completed

Bryan Blaire

Alright, finally got a bit of time to get these guys a little bit of freehand and highlighting. Haven't done any text on the purity seals yet, still trying to think on exactly how I want to do that.

Family photo!

med_gallery_59244_10222_178100.jpg

I particularly like how the weapon markings for these two guys turned out. Definitely going to be thinking of some more to do in the future!

med_gallery_59244_10222_83710.jpg

Still trying to come up with some good bases to do for these guys. Not fully sure what faction these guys will be fighting, had thought about the Orks these guys came with, but I'm not sure. Possibly just a lighter brown-ish wasteland theme.

O wow, these look awesome.

The freehand is great.

I am going for wasteland, desert type bases. Mainly because most folks base their Wolves in snow. Also because BCK suggested a warm base for a cold coloured model would make a good contrast.

Also Prospero :)

Keep it going fella :tu:

• 3 months later...

Brian, sorry to necro your thread, but I'm thinking about doing 30K Wolves, and have just ordered Russ, and your colour scheme immediately came to mind when I was trying to decide which on to use. 

Can you remind me of your recipe for this lovely storm grey colour?

• 2 years later...

Brian, sorry to necro your thread, but I'm thinking about doing 30K Wolves, and have just ordered Russ, and your colour scheme immediately came to mind when I was trying to decide which on to use.

Can you remind me of your recipe for this lovely storm grey colour?

So I know this is about three years too late, but I apparently never responded, or I may have sent a PM that was deleted.

The "storm grey" base color I used is a 1:1 The Fang:Eshin Grey mix, with The Fang edge highlights, then secondary edge highlighting with Dawnstone and spot high points with Administratum Grey.

That said, I've finally decided what I'm going to do with my Primaris - they are becoming Wolves, namely reinforcements to the Drakeslayers. I'm also going for a pure grey armor color on them, to distinguish them from the standard Astartes Wolves that are left, but I may mix in a bare bit of blue for highlight spot color. These guys will have even less Wolf-iness to them than my standard Wolves did, barring the Battle Leaders and eventual Wolf Guard.

I've got five Stalker bolt rifle bearers primed and ready to go and I got all the colors I need sorted out of my painting gear tonight. Hopefully I'll have the first WIP photo tomorrow, rather than a bunch of Blah Blah Blah.

So I'm putting this here more for my use and posterity, but if any of the below help you, feel free to lift liberally!

My standard Astartes Wolves "storm grey" armor color was outlined earlier, but again:

1:1 The Fang:Eshin Grey mix -> shade with Agrax Earthshade -> The Fang edge highlights -> Dawnstone secondary edge highlighting -> Administratum Grey spot high points

Leather Holsters/Sheaths/Pouches: (Classic Astartes only) Rhinox Hide -> Agrax Earthshade recess shade -> Gorthor Brown -> Baneblade Brown -> Seraphim Sepia thinned glaze

The new Primaris Drakeslayers will be armored in the following paint:

Armor: Mechanicus Standard Grey -> Nuln Oil shade -> Mechanicus Standard Grey clean-up as needed -> 2:1 Dawnstone:Mech Stndrd Grey (1st highlight) -> Fenrisian Grey (2nd highlight, thinner, less covered) -> Administratum Grey (brightest highlights) -> Ulthuan Grey/Grey Seer (brightest point/dot highlights - only sometimes)

Leather Pouches/Holsters/Scabbards: 1:1 Rhinox Hide:Doombull Brown -> Agrax Earthshade -> layer 1:1 Rhinox:Doombull -> Doombull Brown (1st Highlight) -> 1:1 Doombull Brown:Karak Stone (2nd Highlight) -> Karak Stone (bright spot highlight)

Alternate Leather: Zandri Dust -> Snakebite Leather Contrast -> Snakebite Leather Contrast

All the other paint processes will be the same between the two types of Marines:

Red Helm Lenses: Abaddon Black -> Mephiston Red -> Evil Sunz Scarlet -> Wild Rider Red -> White Scar

Antique Gold: Balthazar Gold -> 50% covered from the top Retributor Gold -> Reikland Fleshshade (everything) -> Retributor Gold (10%) -> Liberator Gold (edges) -> Stormhost Silver bright spot highlights (or pure iridescent medium)

Dark Iron: Iron Warriors -> Nuln Oil (recesses) -> Leadbelcher -> Iron Breaker -> Stormhost Silver

Parchment attached to armor: Steel Legion Drab -> Agrax Earthshade -> Ushtabi Bone -> Pallid Wych Flesh -> Rhinox Hide text

New purity seal parchment: Rakarth Flesh -> Seraphim Sepia -> Ushtabi Bone -> Pallid Wych Flesh -> Rhinox Hide text

Old purity seal parchment: Rakarth Flesh -> Ushtabi Bone -> Screaming Skull -> Rhinox Hide text -> Seraphim Sepia

Leather Thongs/Ties: Mournfang Brown -> Agrax Earthshade -> Skrag Brown -> Deathclaw Brown -> sometimes Agrax Earthshade thinned glaze

Steel: Leadbelcher -> Nuln Oil -> Ironbreaker -> Stormhost Silver

Red: Khorne Red -> Agrax Earthshade -> Evil Sunz Scarlet -> Wild Rider Red

Yellow: Averland Sunset -> Seraphim Sepia -> Yriel/Phalanx Yellow (only for brightest yellow or edge highlights) -> Ushtabi Bone

Bone: Mournfang Brown -> Zandri Dust -> Agrax Earthshade -> Ushtabi Bone -> Screaming Skull

Brighter green gems: 1:1 Abaddon Black:Caliban Green -> Caliban Green -> Warpstone Glow -> Moss Green -> White Scar spots/highlights -> Waywatcher Green

Darker green gems: 1:1 Abaddon Black:Caliban Green -> Caliban Green -> Warpstone Glow -> Moss Green -> White Scar spots/highlights -> Mortarion Green Clear glaze

Flesh and Hair will come later (have several recipes, and I try to put in little variations so that no tone is exactly like another)

And now, to start some painting!

Furs:

White -> Black:

Corax White -> Vallejo Grey Wash -> White Scar

Celestra Grey -> Vallejo Grey Wash -> Ulthuan Grey -> White Scar

Light Cream -> Dark Brown:

Zandri Dust -> Agrax Earthshade -> Zandri Dust -> Flayed One Flesh -> White Scar

Zandri Dust or Rakarth Flesh -> Ushtabi Bone -> Seraphim Sepia (all over) -> Seraphim Sepia (2/3rds) -> Agrax Earthshade (1/3rd) -> Ushtabi Bone (hair tips) -> Pallid Wych Flesh (hair tips on the fringe)

Wraithbone -> Skeleton Horde Contrast -> Gore-Grunta Fur Contrast -> Cygor Brown Contrast blended out w/Contrast Medium

Cream -> Ocre/Rusty Red -> Dark Brown:

Wraithbone -> Skeleton Horde Contrast -> 2:1 Gryph Hound Orange:Gore-Grunta Fur Contrast -> Cygor Brown Contrast blended out w/Contrast Medium

Leather Pelt: Morghast Bone -> Snakebite Leather (second layer of Snakebite Leather to darken it more if desired)

Other Stuff:

Sandy Base color: Zandri Dust -> Zamesi Desert (complete coverage) -> Seraphim Sepia (all sand areas) -> Zamesi Desert (drybrush) -> 1:1 Zamesi Desert:Ushtabi Bone (drybrush) -> Ushtabi Bone (drybrush) -> Screaming Skull (drybrush)

Copper Maker Plates: 1:1 Screaming Bell:Mournfang Brown -> Reikland Fleshshade (entire plate) -> Screaming Bell -> Hashut Copper -> Fulgurite Copper (final Edge highlight) -> Stormhost Silver (spot bright highlights if warranted)

Bronze: Balthazar Gold -> Druchii Violet -> Castellax Bronze (not necessary depending on size of surface) -> Sycorax Bronze -> 1:1 Sycorax Bronze:Stormhost Silver (not necessary depending on size of surface) -> Stormhose Silver (spot highlights - if needed, for high wear areas), can do verdigris in recesses or across whole surface depending on care level

Thanks Wispy! I’m looking forward to doing some more Wolves.

As far as Krom being Primarisized or “crossing the Rubicon” as it were, I want to see where they take Primaris for the Wolves some before I do that. I have some plans to try a Primaris Great Lord of some kind though.

Everyone else, thanks for the Likes!

Some days you’re knocking things down like a bull in a china shop, others your brushes are going “What did we do to him? Why doesn’t he love us?”

Been a slow few days - managed to get my aged/antique gold started, and got all the soft armor, electrical flex conduit, and the utility belt painted. I did the latter in the new Iron Warriors base color, and I really like how it looks, it’s not tremendously darker than Leadbelcher, but I think it darkens better with a single coat of Nuln Oil (both gloss and matte) than Leadbelcher.

med_gallery_59244_10222_175268.jpeg

I tried to get this image in a little more natural light to show the armor color a bit better, as I think the previous image shows it as brighter than it really is (Mechanicus Standard Grey is approximately basic Sprue Grey).

Hopefully I can get some more done (at least the armor panel shading)!

Keep up the good work!

I'll take your Iron Warriors Paint Test as a note! That could be helpful to break up larger areas of Leadbelcher aswell.

Thanks RikuEru! I'm finally getting some edge highlighting done!

The Iron Warriors base color really is nice, I like it for a darker base.

I might have to pick up a jar of that - I like the new metallic options so far.

I think it's definitely a good option and GW's metallics quality does seem to have improved!

So as I said, I've gotten the main body shading done, and I decided to drop the thinning of the Nuln Oil and use of Agrax Eartshade - the thinned Nuln turned out too shiny and there really was no reason for the Agrax.

However, I've hit a snag and I'd like some opinions on where to go. On the right leg of this model (left side a side you are looking at it) I used pure Dawnstone for the edge highlight. It almost looks too starkly different to me. On the left leg of the model, I did a 1:1 Mechanicus Standard Grey:Dawnstone, and honestly I think it's too subtle.

So opinions: should I try and mix a 1:2 Mech Stndrd Grey:Dawnstone (and accept that I will have to keep making that over all my Primaris Wolves even though I would prefer a little less stark initial line highlight) or do I just stick with the pure Dawnstone? (And if you actually don't think the 1:1 Mech SG:DS is too subtle, I'm all ears.)

med_gallery_59244_10222_100912.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_157763.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_114449.jpeg

Ignore the remains of the gloss shade application - it turned out that way when I thinned regular Nuln Oil with airbrush thinner - I'm going to apply some matte medium or varnish over it to knock it down.

Thanks Dantay!

So I promised that I'd stop trying to paint to a basic competition level and actually get some stuff done - buuuut I had to give a 2:1 Dawnstone:Mechanicus Standard Grey mix a shot - pure Dawnstone just seemed too stark on its own, and the 1:1 mix was too subtle. I'll get some pics up later and edit the above scheme, but I think overall I like this better (and luckily it mixes quite a bit of paint up, so I'll be able to do more highlighting in one go), and it should hopefully blend the highlights better as I go up the brightness scale.

Picture time! Unfortunately the last painting I'll get to do for a week and a half-ish.

These primary edge highlights were done with the 2:1 Dawnstone:Mech Standard Grey:

med_gallery_59244_10222_56200.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_67908.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_16104.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_17841.jpeg

And a little closer View of the aged gold Aquila:

med_gallery_59244_10222_38877.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_21821.jpeg

Going to call the Aquila and belt as done as they will get. I'm looking at adding small touches of Wolf-iness to them - pouches with runes, pauldrons, tilting shields/rondels, a tail or two, and I'm looking at maybe swapping a pack or two for a Wulfen one, but I'll need to figure something out for them if I do. The bits for the Wulfen fit so well it will be hard not to use them, and it has the secondary effect of not making the Wulfen quite so-Wolfy over the top (you'd think that straight up werewolves would be as far down that path as GW would have felt the need to go).

Not sure if I'll bother with the pure Dawnstone at this point - I don't want to make a ton of mixes each time I paint these, but if it makes them look better, I'll do what's needed. :lol:

At this point I'm looking forward to adding these guys to my Drakeslayers. I have three Ashen Stalker (Intercessors) packs, two Star Fang (Inceptors) packs, one Howl Reaper (Reivers) pack, one Hammer Jaw (Aggressors) pack, and the various command guys, plus all the classic Space Wolves I have slated to do.

• 2 weeks later...

So finally managed to get some motivation and got the base color on my Stalker bolt rifle squad for the Drakeslayers (considering changing that name as well) - bodies all have two thin coats of Mechanicus Stamdard Grey on them:

med_gallery_59244_10222_881222.jpeg

(Clicking the image should take you to the larger image, but it isn't really exciting)