A Storm Gathers - list building 3.0

Frater Cornelius

Personally I would buy a pod for the Combi plasma/Malta squad. Then you can drop the WG with the assassin if needed annd I would also buy a Knight Errant asas that sure will soak up some shooting. Allowing your Lord and whatever you have dropped to do so. E work

I ffeel the assassin and knight work really well together, and gives you solid answers against invis aand put a lot of pressure onto demon packs.

I played both against a Cent star. With Draigo and friends and won it on turn one destroying the star, leaving him with basically nothing.

Some people think it is OTT, but what to do when your opponents putting over 1000pts into one unit.

What about forgoing most of the shooting altogether? This is the list I'm playing with currently. It started as a fun army to break my Eldar playstyle, but every game it's becoming clear that it's a scary list to face for most armies (not talking cutthroat competitive, but the scene here isn't entirely without very strong players/lists).

Champions of Fenris detachment, 1850 points:

HQ:

Wolf lord: RA, TWM, Krakenbone sword, Fellclaw's teeth, 2 wolves - 241

Canis - 185

Elites:

Iron Priest: TWM, 4 Cyberwolves

Iron Priest: TWM, 4 Cyberwolves

3 x 5 Wolf guard bikers: 2 Meltaboms each

5 TDAWG: 4 CP, 2 SS, Frost sword, Frost axe, PF, AssC - 220

Fast attack:

13 Fen wolves - 104

6 TWC: 2 SS, PF - 295

Istvan V legacy Drop pod: DWL - 70

Total: 1850

Very limited shooting here. But damn is the crunch loud T2 when my whole army enters assault.

Eldar can't handle this list, at least Serpent spam can't, given average rolling for saves. More balanced, FA based Eldar lists are very dangerous still, though.

Necron AV spam was close, but I was rolling miserably and my opponent was hot on his 6's.

I haven't played Tau yet, as they're rare around here.

The trick is not playing on empty boards (we throw a lot of terrain on the boards here even in tournaments) and using your amazing board presence to control the movement of the opponent's army. Have yet to face a pure Knight army too, those splosions could hurt. Then again, knight shooting isn't that dangerous and I match them in mobility.

Just something to think about, if you want another perspective on it.

I used to run a similar one. It failed miserably against higher end Eldar. This is basically what I am shooting for. I am a good enough played to make most SW lists work against regular opponents. But since I want to go back to tournament play in 2015 I need something with a bit more bite. Ranged power is important, although I do not want to overdo it either. SW power is flexibility and melee. Grey Hunters and TDA can both shoot and punch well.

Vs high-end Eldar you need enough terrain, otherwise you're toast. Like you, I'm also an Eldar player for almost a decade now, so know just what kind of firepower they can bring to the table (not even talking Serp spam, I play a much more shooty Spider/Walker army, plus a few vehicles and bike squads to wolfpack flanks with and of course, my lovely big boy, the WK). If high-end tournament play is your goal, I understand your conundrum.

Vs high-end Eldar you need enough terrain, otherwise you're toast. Like you, I'm also an Eldar player for almost a decade now, so know just what kind of firepower they can bring to the table (not even talking Serp spam, I play a much more shooty Spider/Walker army, plus a few vehicles and bike squads to wolfpack flanks with and of course, my lovely big boy, the WK). If high-end tournament play is your goal, I understand your conundrum.

Indeed. When I play a casual game, I usually run whatever I fancy, sometimes at a disadvantage because of that. I only really thing my lists through when I face Cheeselords.

Change of pace, guys. Enough with endless searching and trying. I want focus and I found it. I want to run a CoF TDA + TWC force.

A quick layout would be:

1-2 thunderlords

5-6 TWC (one unit)

Sicaran Battle Tank

2 5man TDA units in FA pods

a third pod with... something

pods should have deathwind

rest of points either some HB Long Fangs, Termicide, Lone Wolves or Voidclaws/or a big 10man TDA blob depending on how many Lords I take.

possibly arjac

What I want:

a tough elite force with awesome looks

heavy metal

What I do not want:

too many models, limiting PA to only TWC. I do not really want them, they look boring

allies (although I could negotiate about that)

the aim:

abuse FA pods for TDA, their easy access to cheap combi-weapons, their free SS and mix and match style

I have. Two problem here. First, Super Shield Bros are expensive and I might not fit in other units. I think that formation works best when you have no TWC. Right now it looks rather grim when it comes to spending 500-600 points on a formation on top of getting 3 pods with TDA-related things and the TWC gang.

The second problem is the Land Raider itself. I play against them fairly often, since many SM players bring one. They all either break or become somehow useless on turn 1. Losing the Raider on the first turn means having lost 260 points and having another 300+ of melee stuck in the deployment zone, thus being useless.

Too risky in my eyes, which is a real shame, because I love the Super Shield Bros :(

It is less about AV and wounds. It is that MCs and all that jazz can not be killed instantly with ranged shots (Destroyer, Distort and GK ranged force notwithstanding) and usually get some kind of safe. Land Raider struggles a lot, even with cover due to its size.

Ladies and Gentlefolks, I present to you Thunderwing 2.0. It is an upgrade of the list I used to run in 5ed, a mix between Loganwing and Thunderwolves. And since we do not need Logan anymore to make TDA troops and since TDA and TWC are cheaper now I could support this list with awesome long ranged support.

Wolf Overlord (Warlord)

• TWM, RA

• Fellclaw's Teeth, Claws of Morkai

Wolf Lord

• TWM, RA, SS

• Krakenbone Sword (although I am thinking about just giving him a hammer and call it a day)

5 Wolf Guard Terminators

• SS/CM (Pack Leader)

• SS/CM

• CF/CM

• FA/CM

• FA/CML

Drop Pod (Fast Attack)

• Deathwind Laucher

5 Wolf Guard Terminators

• SS/CM (Pack Leader)

• SS/CM

• CF/CM

• FA/CM

• FA/CML

Drop Pod (Fast Attack)

• Deathwind Laucher

6 Thunderwolf Cavalry

CCW/SS (Pack Leader)

CCW/SS

CCW/BP

CCW/BP

CCW/BP

• TH/BP

6 Long Fangs

TDA, SS/SB (Pack Leader)

• 5x ML

+ Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher

Sicaran Battle Tank

• Dozer Blade

• Legacy of Glory: Schizm of Mars

1740 points

Just how I like it. Elite, tough, low model count, every model is pretty much an individual due to mix-and-match wargear, awesome ranged firepower and very capable melee.

I decided to run 2 Lords because it makes the TWC all that much tougher. Just a 2+/4++ Lord would not do as a tank because every Lo,S could cost me a TWC. With 2 Lords I can juggle wounds between them with Lo,S and if a Lord gets down to 2 wounds, he trades place with a TWC member. That way the unit if infinitely tougher and can make it into combat almost reliably.

TDA are there to come down T1, delete something and then chase after units and shoot stuff with CML. They are pretty damn tough because of their 2+/3++. The T4 does not matter since S6/7 wounds them just as well as T5 (in most cases).

Long Fangs will be a target, which is why they have a damn cheap TDA up front to tank. It fits with the theme and looks awesome as well as has its use. They and the Sicaran are responsible for the high S spam and to support units at range. LF took a pod to bring TDA down T1. The empty pod can land on an objective and kill stuff with his Deathwind Launcher, and who knows, maybe LF will need to enter there once in a while ;)

When you think about it, it is an insane amount of firepower given how low the model count is. 5 ML, 2 CML, 3 Large Blasts, 6 TLAC rending, 8 CM and a bunch of stormbolters. All but the 3rd Large Blast can be fired T1 and the ML and CML can choose between Krak and Frag. Awesome stuff.

I will try it in the next few days and I want to make this setup (or similar) as my main SW force. No more jumping about.

Not that I think it will change your mind about the shield brothers, but there is nothing in the formation restricting you to deploy inside of the Landraider, it only says that you must take it as a dedicated transport.  They can ride in an empty Drop Pod, or teleport in if you want them to.

Hm, you are indeed right. But deep striking sort of defeats their purpose seeing that they will be too slow to get a good melee fight. IMO they also lack the flexibility and flair of a mix-and-match TDA unit.

I will definitely try them but with anothet list. Right now I want to try the Thunderwing. Still looking for opinions there ;)

Well, I hope you have what it takes to run a low model count army and a TWC star. It ain't simple :P Best of luck to you.

I do hope you can bring good news, but I am looking forward to my own game much more. Ones own army needs to be perfected by the owner after all. Low model count is my domain and favourite play style ;)

I will take my boys out for a spin tomorrow. Gotta call my GW store so they find me a suitable 'victim'. Yes, that is literally how they call my opponents :D

BBBBBBBBBATREP TIME!

But first a small note: Today's game was a farewell game for Wolf Lord Odin and his Wild Riders. They are moving on, away from our realm and time.

Well, let us see if this farewell game was a good one.

My list:

Company of the Great Wolf
Odin
- Wolfclaw, Powerfist, TWM, RA
- Fellclaw's Teeth

Wolf Lord
- TWM, RA, SS, TH

5 WG TDA
- CM/SS (Pack Leader)
- CM/SS
- CM/WC
- SB/WC/CML
- CM/WC

5 WG TDA
- CM/SS (Pack Leader)
- CM/SS
- CM/WC
- SB/WC/CML
- CM/WC

6 TWC
- SS/BP (Pack Leader)
- SS/BP
- CCW/BP
- CCW/BP
- CCW/BP
- PF/BP

Drop Pod
- Deathwind Launcher

Drop Pod

- Deathwind Launcher

Sicaran Battle Tank

- Dozer Blade

- Legacy of Glory: Schizm of Mars

Long Fangs

- TDA SB/SS (Pack Leader)

- 5x ML

+ Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launchers

1750 points

My opponents were 1k points Grey Knights and 750 points Tyranids. I allowed them to play as Allies of Convenience.

Their List:

Grey Knights (Nemesis Detachment)

Brother-Captain Stern

5 GK TDA

- Hammer/Psycannon

- 4x Falchions/SB

Draigo

Inquisition Detachment

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

- Rad Grenades, Psy-stroke Grenades, Plasma Pistol, ML1, 2 Skulls

Henchem Warband

4 Stormtrooper with Meltas

1 Jokaero

1 Ministorum Priest

3 Deathcult Assassins

3 Crusaders

1 Psyker

Tyranids

Tyrant

- Wings, 2x twin-linked devourers

Tervigon

30 Termagaunts

- 10 Devilgaunts

Carnifex

- 2x twin-linked devourers

We had Maelstrom mission 1 (3 Cards) and Vanguard Strike deployment

They won roll-off to pick side, I won roll-off for first turn and I took it.

My Warlord Trait: Odin rolled on Personal and got the 5 (Feel no Pain 5+)

They declared their Tyrant as Warlord but he rolled something useless on Tyranid table.

Psychic Power:

I had none. Draigo and Stern have their default (Force and Hammerhand for both, Draigo has Gate of Infinity, Stern has Sanctuary)

His Inquisitor got 4++ and Prescience on Divination. His psyker got Hallucination and Psychic Scream on Telepathy.

My deployment:

Long Fangs in the one ruin that I had with the TDA PL up front to eat shots.

Sicaran Battle Tank was in the same ruin on the bottom floor.

All the TWC assembled at the front line with the 2 Lords leading the pack. Odin had the second Lord and a SS guy in base contact so that he could pass AP2 wounds to the SS guys.

TDA entered pods and all 3 pods started in reserve.

Tyranid deploy Gaunts in his ruin together with the Carnifex and Flyrant. Due to lack of space he needed to put the Flyrant on top of the ruin, otherwise my TDA would eat him alive. He chose the lesser of two evils and decided to put up with my Missiles. Tervigon deploy out of line of sight behind an old bunker.

The GK TDA stayed in reserve to deep strike. Draigo, Stern, Inquisitor and the Warband made one giant Deathstar.

It was Night Fighting. They failed to steal initiative. I started the turn.

SW T1:

3 Cards: Secure Objective 1, 5 and 3.

Both pods landed at the Tervigon to kill him before the would spawn Gaunts. Deathwind would fire into the other Gaunt blob.

TWC moved forward behind line of sight blocker. Sicaran moved 12" to score one objective and get rid of one of the skulls.

Shooting was good and bad. Due to abysmal rolling I failed to kill the Tervigon. I only made 5 wounds with 4 ML shots and 8 CM shots. He passed 2 6+ cover saves and got down to 3 wounds.

One Deathwind pod killed 3 Gaunts (bloody 3+ cover) and knocked a wound of the Flyrant, as he was still on the ground. The other Deathwind pod fired at the warband, killed 1 Crusader, 1 Assassin and 1 Melta.

Fangs shot at the Flyrant and knocked 2 wounds of him. Sicaran shot the Flyrant and killed him. Slay the Warlord and First Blood for me.

TWC ran 5".

I scored 2 objectives (with Fangs and Sicaran) and discarded the 3rd one as it was right in the Gaunt blob.

GK T1:

3 Cards: Kill an opponent after Deep Striking (GK card), get Objective 1, kill a Characer.

GK TDA failed reserve roll.

He moved Tervigon to get ready for assault. Gaunt blob did the same. Carnifex had to test because Tyrant Synapse was gone and Tervigon was too far away. He passed and moved up as well. Draigo moved up 6". Tervigon spawned 8 new Gaunts.

In the psychic phase the used Gate to get right next to my Sicaran. He also got himself sanctuary, boosting Crusaders and Draigo to a 2++ and Stern to a re-rollable 3++. Nasty stuff. Tervigon did his Nova Scream and killed 1 TDA from each unit because holding a 3++ would be too much to ask. The tried psychic scream on TWC, I failed to banish but he failed to hit with it.

Shooting saw one TDA unit disappear due to abysmal rolling. The other unit just lost 1 dude. GK tried to melta my Sicaran but only knocked off 1 wound and achieved a Crew Shaken result.

Tervigon charged my TDA. 1 SS guy and 2 Claws were alive. Again, I rolled abysmally and only knocked 2 wounds of him. I passed 1 3++ and nothing happened.

He did killed a character (TDA PL).

Bottom T1: SW4 - GK1

SW T2:

3 Cards: Kingslayer, kill a nominated character (SW card), Objective 3

Second pod arrived and landed close to the other 2.

Sicaran moved 12" away from the GK unit. TWC moved up the to Gaunt blob. I spaced them far apart to reduce damage in first combat phase.

Long Fangs shot Frag Missiles at GK unit. I rolled badly but managed to knock off 2 Meltas. Draigo saved the rest. Sicaran shot at GK as well and knocked a wound of Draigo. 1 Deathwind Pod shot at GK and knocked a wound of Stern. The other 2 pods shot at the 8 new Gaunts and killed 6/8.

TWC charged into the 30 Gaunts. Overwatch did nothing. TDA failed to wound Tervigon and it did manage to wound TDA twice but SS saved it.

Lord killed 6 Gaunts. The other TWC did not manage to attack due to lack of base contact. Gaunts moved up and knocked a wound of a regular TWC dude.

I rolled the D3 for Kingslayer and got a 3. He nominated Draigo as the character. I discarded Obj. 3.

GK T2:

Cards: Hold Objective 1. I need to nominate an Obj, he gets 1 of he holds it (GK card), I nominated 1.

GK TDA arrived right behind my Sicaran with the help of the second skull.

2 remaining Gaunts moved u to help the other Gaunts against TWC. Tervigon Spawned 7 new Gaunts. GK unit moved up 6". Carnifex moved up 6".

Stern casted Sanctuary for their 2++ but got a Perils. He rolled a 1, got a wound but passed his morale check. Draigo casted Hammerhand and Force. Psyker attempted Scream but failed to cast. Tervigon attempted AOE scream but failed to cast it as well.

GK TDA shot Sicaran in the back. Psycannon did two glances. No other shooting happened. He wanted to charge TWC with Draigo so he did not want to increase distance by killing them off.

Carnifex tried to charge TDA but failed the required 11". Draigo attempted to charge TWC but failed the required 10". The 2 lone Gaunts changed the TWC.

WG TDA finished off the Tervigon and consolidated towards GK. Gaunts failed to knock a wound of my TWC. The Lord and 1 TWC killed 9 Gaunts, the other did not get close due to lack of base contact after that many casualties. He failed his morale check and fled of the board.

TWC consolidated towards GK TDA.

He held objective 1 twice and discarded the GK deep strike card.

Bottom of T2: SW7 - GK3.

SW T3:

Cards: Big Game Hunter, Obj. 2, Domination.

TWC got to the GK TDA. WG TDA moved up to the GK. Sicaran moved 12" and stood with his back to the wall where the LF were.

1 Pod shot at GK but Draigo saved them all. The other 2 pods shot at the Carnifex and knocked off 1 wound. Sicaran shot the GK, knocked another wound off Draigo and nothing else. TDA shot at GK but Draigo saved it all. The Fang shot their blasts and did 12 wounds. Draigo saved them all. Yeah, statistical...

TWC charged the GK TDA and wiped them out without any losses.

I discarded Domination.

GK T3:

Cards: Psychological Warfare. Obj. 3. and some third which I go not remember.

Draigo moved up to attack TWC. Carnifex passed his test and moved towards TWC.

Stern casted Sanctuary, got Perils, rolled a 1, died but passd his morale check. Draigo casted Hammerhand and Force.

Carnifex shot my TWC and I rolled like a bum and lost 1 dude.

Draigo attempted to charge TWC but failed the required 9".

Bottom T3: SW7 - GK3.

SW T4:

TWC moved up to attack GK, TDA did the same. Sicaran moved around to shoot at the guys behind Draigo.

The combined shooting of Sicaran, Fangs, TDA and 1 Pod killed everybody but the Inquisitor and Draigo.

TDA charged. Overwatch failed everything. They got there. TWC charged an got there as well. Psystroke did nothing (thank odin for that) and Rad reduced me to T4. TWC PL challenged and Inquisitor accepted.

Draigo hit first with S9 AP2 Instant Death. 3 Wounds on Odin. He passed 2 wounds on, which killed 2 TWC. He had to take the third one himself but passed with a heroic 6.

Pack Leader killed Inquisitor. Draigo saved all TDA and I4 TWC wounds with his 2+ except for one, knocking him down to 1HP. Odin then used his fist and blew Draigo away.

At this point we called it. The only had one Carnifex left. I had 3 TDA (2 claws and 1 SS), all Long Fangs, 3 Pods, my Sicaran, both Lords and 3 TWC models.

Final Score: SW8 - GK3

Final verdict:

Wow, I though I will lose when I rolled badly and lost 7 TDA in T1 and failed to kill the Tervigon. He claimed that killing the Tyrant was luck but I calculated it afterwards and it was statistical to knock 4 wounds of him. The Tyranid force was damn shooty though. Good on me for blocking to much line of sight with pods and getting into melee fast.

GK Deathstar was damn fine. Super hard to kill and deadly in melee. If he managed those long charges, my TWC unit would've died. But those charged were way above of an average infantry charge so making them was hard. Still, a bit of luck on my side that he failed them.

But the reason I managed to kill his unit... the shooting is SICK! What do you expect from 26 models? Not much. They put out firepower like no-one else. The best shooting I had in a long time. They come close to Tau level with all those wounds flying around. I kid you not, I made more wounds with that list than I did with my Eldar list last game.

The losses were also very minimal. I lost 7 TDA and 3 TWC as well as 3HP of the Sicaran. With less abysmal rolling I might've lost even less.

In conclusion, damn fine list. Damn fine. But hard to play right.

In the end, Odin went out with a Blast! His last action in 40k was killing Draigo. Good job, buddy! But now he leaves our realm. Where does he go you might ask. Well, the Wild Hunt moves to Fantasy now. I wanted to start Warriors of Chaos (well, just Viking. I will remove all Chaos symbols and play them as Northmen that go around punching Chaos for being evil and stupid) and I have over 1500 points at home already due to conversions I made with WoC models. Wild Riders will go back on square bases and Lord Odin will take the lead as Archaon, the Everchosen. A fitting place for a model like Odin. Archaon's rules and stats make 3 Abaddons taped together look like a schoolgirl against a professional Rugby player.

But what about 40k? Heh, you will find out soon enough msn-wink.gif

First off Congratulations on the win would have loved to see some pictures tho! 

Secondly this is my bastardized version of yer list at 1850 using what i have available. 

++ Space Wolves: Codex (2014) (Company of the Great Wolf Detachment) (1475pts) ++

+ HQ (460pts) +

Wolf Lord (225pts) [Relic: Krakenbone Sword, Thunderwolf]
····Runic Armour [bolt Pistol, Storm Shield]

Wolf Lord (235pts) [Relic: Fellclaw's Teeth, Thunderwolf]
····Runic Armour [Relic: Morkai's Claws]

+ Elites (415pts) +

Wolf Guard (175pts) [bikes]
····5x Wolf Guard [5x Bolt Pistol, 5x Chainsword]
····Wolf Guard Pack Leader [bolt Pistol, Power Fist]

Wolf Guard Terminators (240pts) [Cyclone Missile Launcher]
····4x WG Terminator [Chainfist, 4x Combi Melta, 3x Power Axe]
····WG Terminator Leader [storm Shield, Wolf Claw]