SoFlo GT batreps

BLACK BLΠFLY

I took my White Scars - Space Wolves army down to a GT in Miami last weekend to prepare for LVO. There were six rounds over two days and I ended up squaring off against a lot of the top players. There were definitely some interesting army lists there to counter the meta. Reports to follow soon.

Here is my 1850 point army list:

- White Scars Primary detachment -

HQ

Chapter Master/

Bike - Artificer Armor - Auspex - Power Fist - Shield Eternal

I have had some success with the auspex as bikes can get up to point blank range and take advantage.

Librarian/

Bike - Indomitus Armor - Force Axe - Meltabombs

• Level 2 Psyker — Open Lore

I love another multi wound 2+ save character attached to the command squad. Being able to pop the 2+ invulnerable save really helped out a couple games. I have practiced using every psychic lore available and made some good choices which I'll try to highlight.

Command Squad/

Bikes - Chapter Banner - 4x Stormshield - 4x Meltabomb - Thunderhammer - 4x Grav Gun

* Apothecary

All the characters attach to the command squad to form the BikeStar I invented. The unit performed well every game and really helped win games.

TROOPS

4x Space Marine Biker/

2x Grav Gun

* Sergeant - Combi-Grav - Meltabombs

* Attack Bike - Multi-Melta

4x Space Marine Biker/

2x Grav Gun

4x Space Marine Biker/

2x Grav Gun

Obviously the bikes are the core of the army and always do well. The high number of bikes per squadron makes the bolters viable versus horde armies such as Orks and Tyranids.

- Space Wolves Allied Detachment -

HQ

Wolf Lord/

Bike - Runic Armor - Stormshield - Power Fist - Wulfenstone

The Wulfenstone was clutch in two games - one game versus Chaos where an evil sorcerer cast Enfeeble on my BikeStar and one game versus Knights. I chose the bike over a Thunderwolf mount so the BikeStar so the BikeStar can turbo boost.

TROOPS

9x Grey Hunter/

2x Meltagun - Plasma Pistol - 9x Chainsword - Power Axe - Wolf Standard

* Wolf Guard/

Stormshield - Frost Axe - Meltabombs

Drop Pod

Another key unit perfectly suited to grab First Blood and seed disruption. They were my micro alpha striking unit.

First round was versus serpent spam...

http://greenblowfly.blogspot.com/2014/11/round-1-thunder-lightning-vs-serpent.html

Okay so let's turn back the clock to round 3 the last game of the first day. I am 1W-1L and back up in the top bracket. I am paired against Luis' Tyranids which features four FMC (2 Flyrants, Crone and Harpy), Deathleaper, two dakkafexen, two Malenthropes, some rippers and Zoies. It was a hard fought game and my dice were not helping. I really had my work cut out for me this game. Full report to follow soon.

So the third game my record was 1 W and 1 L... Not great but still a good chance to win something if I could win some more. My third round opponent Luis had a TAC Tyranid list - two dakka Flyrants, two dakkafexen (each an independent brood), two Malenthropes (each an independent brood), Hive Crone, Harpy, 2-3 ripper swarms, 2 Mawlocs and Deathleaper. Obviously the FMCs can pose a problem for my army since I have no dedicated anti-air.

The primary objectives were a mix between holding objective markers at the end of the game and modified Maelstrom.

My typical approach to this type of list is first focus on killing all the ground units then force the FMCs to go to glide mode to grab objective markers towards the end of the game then nail them. I have had success with this strategy but for some reason I strayed from my game plan and overly focused on trying to shoot down the Flyrants - both of which had only one wound left at the end of the game and passed every grounding check called upon to make. I think that what happened was as follows - I got the infiltrating warlord trait but Luis won the roll off to infiltrate first and did so with the Deathleaper which pushed back my infiltrating units losing that potential advantage.

I was able to quickly eliminate both Mawlocs the turns they arrived (piecemeal). Overall this was my bad dice game losing my Librarian early to Perils and he had rolled up Invisibility... That really hurt. The Grey Hunters missed a charge versus the Crone by an inch which was really big too.

I do think this is a game I could have potentially won if I had focused on first killing the enemy ground units like I said above rather than waste a lot of fire power snap shooting the two Flyrants. I was able to salvage a good chunk of points the last turn though so it was a minor loss.

Next game is a full batrep for my fifth game versus a really nasty ork that finished in fifth place overall.

Round 5 is versus one of the Dispigno twin brothers from Miami. Those two guys seem to win most every RTT down there. I have played Paul Dispigno twice and am 1-1 versus him so this game versus Jon will put one of us ahead on the count. The games are always extremely intense with lots of thinking in each turn and always super fun - the Dispigno brothers are a class act in every way.

At this point I am 2W - 2L and leading the pack for the best SM player after my lucky rout for game 4 versus one of the two unfun nasty SM flyer spam armies.

Jon is running an Ork that is very competitive and is a natural counter to mine so I know in many ways it will be both a chess game and come down to the dice which is one of the paradoxes of 40k. Jon is running the Forge World Warboss biker which makes his warbikes objective secured. Unfortunately some people in my area try to cheapen a win when Forge World is involved but really with Imperial Knights and Transcendent Ctan roaming freely Forge World is a breath of fresh air.

Here is Jon's army list:

- HQ -

Zhadsnark da Rippa /Warlord

(power klaw strikes at initiative)

Warboss:

Warbike - Da Lucky Stikk - Boss Pole - Power Klaw - Cybork Body

Pain Boy - Warbike - Grot Orderly

- Troops -

11x Boy - Eavy Armor

Nob - Eavy Armor - Power Klaw - Boss Pole

Trukk - Rokkit - Ram

11x Boy - Eavy Armor

Trukk - Rokkit - Ram

11x Boy - Eavy Armor

Trukk - Rokkit - Ram

11x Boy - Eavy Armor

Trukk - Rokkit - Ram

11x Boy - Eavy Armor

Trukk - Rokkit - Ram

11x Warbiker

- Heavy Support -

10x Loota

10x Loota

Note I have combined the primary detachment with the self ally for Jon's list. That's a lot of bodies that can haul ass anywhere on the table easily matching my speed. I am most worried about the Lootas since they have range and it will be next to impossible to engage them in close combat.

Here is the mission:

Primary 1 - Purge the Alien

Independent characters and super heavies are worth 2 victory points each and everything else is worth 1 victory point each. I can see the bonus for super heavies but honestly I think the bonus for independent characters doesn't make any sense as that is mostly an advantage for Shooty armies which cost me the win versus serpent spam in the first round.

Primary 2 - Kingslayer

Kill the enemy Warlord. I saw this as an advantage in my favor believe it or not.

Primary 3 - Emperor's Will

Each primary is worth 6 battle points for the win and 3 for the draw.

Secondaries:

First Blood - Slay the Warlord - Lime Breaker - Last Laugh

Each secondary is worth 1 battle point.

Deployment:

Vanguard Strike

Night Fight is in play first turn. I win the roll for choosing the deployment zone choosing the side with most cover and line of sight blocking terrain. I also win the roll to deploy opting to go second.

Warlord Trait - Stealth in Ruins

I can't remember which WLT my opponent got.

Psychic Powers - Pyromancy Lore

Primaris - heavy flamer

Fire Shield (so awesome versus Orks... Heh)

Melta

When it comes to choosing your psychic lore you can never go wrong with Pyromancy verus hordes and Fire Shield is too good to be true (a bit of foreshadowing).

- PRE GAME ANALYSIS -

I have superior fire power and want to draw my opponent towards me so I can assault first. I will definitely be counter charged with all those Trukk Boyz but I need to hit his Warbiker Deathstar as hard as possible with my BikeStar. Grey Hunters can be game winning superstars this game with the micro alpha strike... I will play if safe with them so as not to lose them early. I feel good about the game but know I can't make any mistakes due to Jon's inherent speed.

My deployment:

I want a safe distance from the horde to control the tempo and prevent an early head on assault. I use terrain to block line of sight as much as possible from the Lootas. Jon also deploys on the conservative side as well.

Objective markers are far apart - neither in no man's land. I'm counting on the Grey Hunters to make something happen first turn. Looks like we will dance until one side goes in strong.

1st Turn - Speed Freaks

Jon plays it conservative maintaining the separation between our lines. The Lootas fire some pot shots at BikeStar but with the 2+ jink save (Night Fight) I take no wounds.

1st Turn - BikeStar

Grey Hunters pod down with a direct hit landing behind a big piece of line of blocking terrain. They disembark in position to rapid fire the forward Loota squad. Bikes reposition to also move into rapid fire range of Lootas. After the smoke clears the Lootas are toast netting me First Blood and one kill point... I had a feeling First Blood would be important.

KP - Orks: 0, BikeStar: 1

BikeStar - FB

Second through fourth turns we both dance - neither army willing to commit. Shooting on both sides is inconsequential... I slowly whittle down the second squad of Lootas but those green bastards pass every morale check. A couple of attack bikes take a wound... Nothing major.

If I move into position to charge trukkz I'll be counter charged by the rest of the horde including the Warbiker Deathstar.. I've got a two point lead though and decide to play it cagey forcing the Orks to come to me.

Turn five things start to get interesting.

Turn 5 - Speed Freaks

Jon finally decides to make his move. The Warbikes turbo boost right up in front of my BikeStar (2++ jink save) and all the trukkz surge up. Again a few potshots from the last couple Lootas for no wounds.

Turn 5 - BikeStar

Well I've got my work cut out for me now. I decide to take the warbikes head on with my BikeStar and use the rest of my army to wall off his trukkz so it will be hard for them to join in the coming mosh pit of death. BikeStar moves up and spreads out for the charge. Grey Hunters flank to the right while two biker squads flank to my left.

My Librarian successfully casts Fire Shield which potentially could be huge. I then cast the Primaris (heavy Flamer equivalent) and actually manage to toast a couple Warbikes (ignore cover - template).

Chapter Master then calls down his orbital bombardment - it scatters a couple inches - nukes three more warbikes and pops one trukk. Grey Hunters melta down another Trukk and the ensuing explosion takes out half the squad and they break. Bikers focus fire on more Trukkz - popping another (more dead Boyz but they pass their check) and immobilize then wreck another with grav.

BikeStar then charges into the Warbikes - after the smoke clears I win combat by a good number of wounds punking out most of the remaining Warbikes and landing a few wounds on some of the Ork characters while only taking one wound on the Chapter Master... My saves and FNP were on fire... Wulfenstone also was a big help. The Warbikes stick though and I decide not to hit and run out of combat.

KP: Orks - 0 BikeStar - 5

BikeStar - First Blood

We roll to see if there is a 6th turn and it's on like Donkey Kong ! The Orks will get their counter assault.

Thanks for doing this. I have only read half the batreps, but I will definiitely read the rest.

A few things:

- Congrats on a strong finish with what many people consider a non-contender in today's game.

- The Ork guy... I think he finished tied for 7th? It's great to see a non allied list do so well.

- Space Marines (did you see any Dark Angels?) Is there anything you would change in your list after the fact?

- Do you think non-SM biker lists can still be this competitive?

- Congrats on a strong finish with what many people consider a non-contender in today's game.

BikeStar is no joke IMO - it's really good based upon my experience. :)

- The Ork guy... I think he finished tied for 7th? It's great to see a non allied list do so well.

The Ork player took 5th place overall - strong finish for him.

- Space Marines (did you see any Dark Angels?)

I think there was one DA army but didn't so well overall.

- Is there anything you would change in your list after the fact?

I wouldn't mind dropping one biker squad for a couple Stormtalons - great AA plus solid versus lots of ground troops.

Definitely with the right race and build... Such as the ork army I faced.

Definitely with the right race and build... Such as the ork army I faced.

Sorry, what I meant was: Do you think you could be as competitive with the SM codex -without- bikes?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Calgar

Tigerius

5x Honor Guard - 4x Power Axe - Thunderhammer

Drop Pod

5x Sternguard - 4x Combi Melta - Heavy Flamer

Drop Pod

5x Sternguard - 4x Combi-Grav - heavy Flamer

Drop Pod

6x Tactical Marine incl. Sergeant - Meltagun - Combi-Melta

Drop Pod

6x Tactical Marine incl. Sergeant - Plasmagun - Combi-Plasma

Drop Pod

5x Devastator - 4x Missile Launcher (flakk)

Drop Pod

Rune Priest - Runic Armor - Force Axe - Bolt Pistol - Level 2 Psyker

9x Grey Hunter - Meltagun - Plasma Pistol - Power Axe - Chainswords

Drop Pod

* Meltabombs for sergeants

Archived