Legacies of Betrayal

Never_born

Hi folks.

Just put my review of Legacies of Betrayal up on the blog.

http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/11/15/legacies-of-betrayal-black-library-anthology/

Interestingly, as I was reading it I was a bit...miffed, let's say, as I'm a bit of a completist so I'd already bought and read/listened to everything that's included in this anthology. The more I think about it though, the happier I am with this one - I'd forgotten how good some of the short stories were, and I absolutely loved reading the audio dramas in prose format. 

Who's read this yet? Any thoughts on value for money, etc?

Neverborn.

Yes, my initial thoughts were the same as yours. Unless I'm missing something, it would've been great to see at least one short story that was specifically written for the anthology, as I'd already purchased all of these stories separately in different formats.

Unless I'm missing something, it would've been great to see at least one short story that was specifically written for the anthology, as I'd already purchased all of these stories separately in different formats.

That's a terrible idea. Why should normal people have to pay for an entire anthology just to get one story?

I think I'm with Nineswords on this. For anyone buying an anthology despite already having read the stories in other formats, i.e. for the sake of completion, it would be nice to have even a single piece that's new. As with pretty much everything, it would be bound to be made available online in e-short format so anyone who didn't want the whole book could get it.

Still, they're never going to keep everyone happy. Overall I do think it's worth getting Legacies even if you've read/listened to all of the stories, like I had. Horses for courses though.

Out of interest, how much was this? £20?

Yep, £20 in hardback.

Unless I'm missing something, it would've been great to see at least one short story that was specifically written for the anthology, as I'd already purchased all of these stories separately in different formats.

That's a terrible idea. Why should normal people have to pay for an entire anthology just to get one story?

A story that probably would have been released as a separate eBook, as well, as was the case with individual stories in the other anthologies.  Win-win for everyone.

That's just not true. It's extremely rare for them to break up an anthology after publication. They're not even close to releasing every story they've published in an anthology.

Even if they did, I'd characterise it more as "win-feel slightly better about your mental illness" than "win-win". £20 just to have every spine sitting on your shelf? That's messed up.

I would like that, personally. And, written word for me is far more enjoyable that the majority of the audiobooks I've heard.

That's just not true. It's extremely rare for them to break up an anthology after publication. They're not even close to releasing every story they've published in an anthology.

For most HH anthologies, yes, but most anthologies aren't collections of pre-existing stories. The only one that really fits that is Shadows of Treachery. 7 stories, and all of them are available in some format individually: 3 were audios before it came out, the other 4 were released separately later. So if there -had- been one or two new stories in Legacies of Betrayal, there's no reason to assume it wouldn't also be released separately at some point.

As it is, I too would've liked a new story or two in there, but what is contained is still a fairly decent selection, save one or two weaker stories.

Echoing what others have said here, my problem stems from the fact that this is different from other anthologies because the book came out after the individual stories came out, and not the other way round in the case of say Shadows of Treachery, where the individual stories came out after the book anthology was published. If you invested all that money and effort into collecting all of these stories together only to find out it would've been collated in a book anthology at a later date, I would probably have not made the investment and just got the book when it came out.

As it goes, that wasn't the case, now I have a book (as I'm a completist for the HH only) of stuff I already own in different formats. At least if the anthology was produced first before being divided into separate stories, that's a far better deal. Taking Shadows of Treachery as an example, only interested in Night Lords? Cool, go pick up Prince of Crows.

Echoing what others have said here, my problem stems from the fact that this is different from other anthologies because the book came out after the individual stories came out, and not the other way round in the case of say Shadows of Treachery, where the individual stories came out after the book anthology was published. If you invested all that money and effort into collecting all of these stories together only to find out it would've been collated in a book anthology at a later date, I would probably have not made the investment and just got the book when it came out.

As it goes, that wasn't the case, now I have a book (as I'm a completist for the HH only) of stuff I already own in different formats. At least if the anthology was produced first before being divided into separate stories, that's a far better deal. Taking Shadows of Treachery as an example, only interested in Night Lords? Cool, go pick up Prince of Crows.

I was also perhaps more bemused that The Crimson Fist and Prince of Crows were released separately. Both brilliant - but easier to buy the anthology...

• 2 weeks later...

Like Tales of Heresy, Age of Darkness, The Primarchs, and Shadows of Treachery?

Really, the concept of not splitting up anthologies is very recent.  Has it been used on any non-event-exclusive anthology?  I'm struggling to think of this being the case prior to The Imperial Truth.

Even if they did, I'd characterise it more as "win-feel slightly better about your mental illness" than "win-win". £20 just to have every spine sitting on your shelf? That's messed up.

I'm not sure what everyone else is arguing for, but that's got nothing to do with my argument.  I just want Black Library to be more considerate to their readers, who - by and large - are a pretty loyal bunch.  What I'm seeing instead is a trend toward rising prices, exclusivity at the cost of accessibility, and release schemes that aim toward redundancy/double sales.

Why is it messed up? Who are you to make a moral judgment on how I choose to spend my disposable income? I think spending hundreds of pounds on a season ticket to football is messed up. I think spending hundreds of pounds a week going to clubs or buying drugs is messed up. But I'd never presume to tell anyone how they should be spending their money.

Because they will?

Same reason for the Limited Editions. It's absolutely ludicrous to pay $130 for a comic book, or $75 for a Flesh Tearers novel. But people do.

No issue with the Limited Editions personally - but I do make effort to get them. I would be more frustrated if I couldn't! But, the policy of releasing them in future is at least good - even if it means there is a wait.

What would be better is eliminating the wait altogether and including content that justified the $50 price tag.  You know, something other than a "Otherwise you have to wait a year" tag.

Archived