Today, the Death Company killed...

Xenith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everything.

All the things.

Ok so I'm exaggerating a bit (mostly because I didn't have any actual Death Company).

We did a FLGS "Tanksgiving" game event today; 1500 pts, 3 games, 1000 pts must have the Vehicle or Monster keyword.

I took a mixed Blood Angel battalion + IK Lance.   List was:

Capt Smashypants (Thammer, SShield, Artisan of War, Angel's Wing, Death Visions of Sang).

Flybrarian (melta gun)

5x Scouts

5x Scouts (pfist, storm bolter)

5x Tacs (cplas, pfist, plasma)

Knight Gallant (stubber, Paragon Gauntlet)

Knight Crusader (thermal, rfbc, 2x stubbers, ironstorm rocket pod)

Armiger Helverin (stubber)

House Raven

Game 1:

Dawn of War, Big Guns Never Tire (with victory condition changing from "Heavy Support" to "models with Vehicle or Monster Keyword").

Cadian Stormlord, 3x Leman Russ with Plasma, 3x3 Heavy Weps Teams with lascannon, Sgt Harker, Company Commander, Primaris Psyker.

He finished deploying first. Capt Smash had a nice hiding spot to avoid getting shot so I Forlorn Furied him up the board.  I then seized.

Turn 1.

All my shooting takes down a Plasma Russ. Capt Smash goes into Stormlord, along with Knight Gallant who "Full tilts".  Libby Dread Wings of Sangs himself and Quickening into one of the Plasma Russes, kills it, but overwatch takes him down to 2 wounds.  Scouty scouts are able to move up and get a no-overwatch first turn charge on one of the other Plasma Russes, dealing a couple wounds, but basically just tie it down which is good enough for me.  Capt and Knight Gallant kill the stormlord in combination, and he loses several Las cannon models after it dies.  Capt Smash consolidates into them (not much room for the remaining Las cannon teams since he deployed against his battlefield edge) pasting another team of 3.

This was pretty much a textbook Blood Angels aggressive opener and everything went according to plan (rare for 40k). My first turn broke his back. I believe he was tabled on turn 3. Including objectives, end score was 18-2.

Game 2:

Dawn of War, Beachhead

Sotekh Necrons:  CCB with warscythe and lightning field thing, 2x Doomsday Arks, 2x Triarch Stalkers, 3x Doomscythes, 2x3 Heavy Destroyers, 1x3 Scarabs

I had to deploy first, but my opponent seized. I put Smashypants in Deep Strike since I didn't know where my opponent was going to setup.   1 Scout team deployed forward behind cover to put early pressure on his objective.  My 2nd scout team babysit my objective, and tacs were forward to get to the middle objective.  Knights spread out around my back line (Gallant in the middle to control the center of the board and have maximum striking options), and Libby dread set just back of knights so he couldn't be shot at even if the scouts up ahead got smoked.  The Knight Crusader is touching my board edge and in a corner in order to be out of range of some of his guns.

Opponent comes in with all 3 doom scythes.  His fire is ok but not effective, as I waited till right opportunity to split up his firepower because of the range of his guns.   Rotate Ion Shields to the Gallant soaks a ton of fire, and the Crusader which is farther back gets fewer shots at him; opponent didn't realize until too late that splitting his fire was ineffective. As a result he knocks both Knights down about 10 wounds or so.

On my turn i focus first on the models without Quantum Shielding. The Armiger takes down a Doomscythe on his own with Skyreaper Protocols.   Knight Crusader blows apart a stalker as well as the Scarabs that are screening his CCB.  Other shooting is mostly chipping away.  Gallant moves to exact center of board, Full Tilt, and gets a charge on other Stalker.  He Heroic Intervenes with CCB, but that's good for me and I was hoping for it :-)   Flybrarian flies into other Doomscythe in CC and smashes it to pieces in CC.   Gallant puts damage on Triarch Stalker (i used Titanic Feet because of Quantum shielding, but only able to bring him down to 2 wounds).

End of first round I have destroyed:

2 Doomscythes

1 Stalker

Scarabs

heavy damage on other Stalker

Turn 2.

Doomscythes gets to my backline and puts some damage into my Flybrarian, killing him.  This time he doesn't make same mistake, and pours almost all shooting into my Gallant. I know this is the major threat early so I Rotate Ion Shields first thing.   Gallant brought down to 5 wounds but still kicking.

On my turn 2, the Armiger Helverin kills the 3rd Doomscythe (again, thanks to Skyreaper Protocol).  Crusader shoots down one unit of his heavy destroyers, and put some damage into 1 of his Doomsday Arks.   Captain smash comes down and, again, due to the 4 damage hammer and how quantum shielding works, I actually just decided to put him into the other Heavy destroyers (descent of angels + angel's wing), which he pulverizes.   The Gallant finishes off the 2nd Triarch Stalker.

by turn 2 he is down:

all 3 doomscythes

all 6 heavy destroyers

both triarch stalkers

scarabs

I also have secured my own objective, the middle objective, and have my scouts moving in on his objective.

Turns 3-6, oddly enough, my killing slows down.  He kills my knight Gallant, and all the stuff he has left has Quantum shielding so I actually had a hard time getting damage through to kill things.  But I pick him apart and table him on Turn 6, and I score all 3 objectives from turns 4-6, including Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker and first strike.

Final Score: 22-3

Game 3.

Narrow the Search, Dawn of War.

I now get paired with the other big winner of the day, an Iron Hands player.  I'm not in the least bit phased by this since I also play IH and I know all their tricks.

Lt, 2x Techmarines, 3x5 Scouts with Sniper Rifles and Missiles, 3x Vindicators, 2x Thunderfury Cannons, 2x Ironclad Dreads, 2x TwinLas/Missile dreads. 

I setup first, and get first turn.  Capt Smash goes into deepstrike since I don't know where he will be setting up.  Opponent fails to seize.  He sets up with a battle line right on his 12" line, the TFC are hidden inside a ruin with no LOS.   My scouts are deployed forward to get on the objective, as are 2 of his scout teams.  This is the kind of enemy deployment that I dream of.

On turn 1, my scouts move up to charge his scouts on the right.  Libby Dread flies (Wings of Sang) forward to charge his other scout team.  Gallant goes right up the middle, full tilt, as normal, ready to charge. Shooting isn't great; I take one twin las Dread down to 2 wounds, but the Crusader takes down one of the Vindis.  But the charges...are beautiful...the Libby Dread charges the scouts on my left flank, but because of his base size, and consolidates, he kills all the scouts and manages to consolidate into one of the other vindis, tying it down.  My scouts on my right flank do the same thing; charging HIS scouts, and (after 16 blood angel attacks), consolidate into his other Vindi on the right flank.  The Gallant, however, fails to make his charge in the middle, and that makes me nervous.

So at end of my first turn, I've killed:

1 Vindi

2x5 Scouts

but most importanly, locked up 2 of his Vindis in close combat.

On his turn 1 he falls back with his Vindis.  All 4 of his dreads put fire into my Gallant, and, being so close to the middle of the board, he can't use invuln save, so I can't roate Ion Shields.  Amazingly, he managed to live with 3 wounds.  He charges my Gallant with 1 Ironclad, and my Libby with the other Ironclad.   He goes first against the Libby and takes me down. I intervene with the Gallant, and absolutely pulverize his Ironclad with the Paragon Gauntlet, doing something like 24 wounds. I then throw the Ironclad (YES!) into the OTHER Twin Las Dread that I had knocked down to 2 wounds in my shooting phase, and deal 2 mortal wounds, kililng it.  THAT dreadnought then explodes, not touching me, because I'm out of 6" range, but doing a bunch of mortal wounds to his backlines (it was glorious).

At end of first turn he has lost:

1 Ironclad Dread

1 Twin Las Dread

1 Vindicator

2x5 Scouts

And I'm down:

Libby Dread

Lot of damage on my Knight Gallant.

Turn 2.

Capt Smash comes down ready to take on other Ironclad Dread (the one that killed my Libby Dread).  Gallant moves up to take down other Twin Las Dread.  My scouts and Tac marines move into the board center to secure the middle objective.   I try to get my right flank scouts to charge into his right flank Vindi, but they all die in overwatch (it was worth a shot). Helverin and Crusader pepper the left flank vindi that fell back from my Libby Dread) and smoke it.  I put some wounds on his one unit of remaining scouts in cover.  Capt smash charges the Ironclad dread and takes him out.   Gallant charges the Twin Las Dread and turn it into scrap metal.  And guess what?   Paragon Guantlet throws again! (YAY) Twin Las Dread goes into one of the Thunderfire cannons and destroys it because of the mortal wounds it had taken in previous turn when his other Dread exploded.

He's now seriously on the back foot, having lost 2 vindis, all 4 dreadnoughts, and 1 TFC.  He eventually takes out the Gallant and puts some decent fire into Crusader, but he doesn't have enough firepower at this point. I table him turn 5, and I scored the Objective on turns 2-5.

Final scores is 7 (First Strike, Slay Warlord, Linebreaker, +4 objectives) to 1 (First Strike from killing my Libby Dread).

CONCLUSION.

So I actually only get 2nd place in the tourney because of Strength of Schedule.  I got 3 Crushing Victories, 47 total victory points, but because the other guy (who also won all 3 games), had opponents that scored more points, his Strength of Schedule was higher than mine...which I don't entirely get but that's ok.

Because I killed....every model that was put on the table today.

Now you might be saying...."Well...Blood Angels are only 1/3 of your list....not really a BA victory."   Well...kinda.  Once again, captain smash, and especially the Libby Dread continue to be the real silent killers in the game, and achieve key strategic objectives by putting early pressure and positioning on the enemy.   Also my scouts...I can't say enough about scouts.  It's glorious when you send a unit of 5 scouts in with 16 attacks, hitting and wounding on 3's.   The Gallant was more of a distraction carnifex that soaked up a lot of shooting and attention, allowing the other units to get work done.    The Crusader was great and softened a lot up, but I'm not sure he ever made his points back.   The Helverin was very good in game 2 against the Doomscythes, but for the most part, didn't have great targets with only -1 AP in a mostly-armored game.

Hey buddy I was just thinking about you the other day.  Yes, I am definitely going to pax. I don't think I'm going to play in the big 40k tourney this year though. It takes a whole day and when I'm only there for 2 days really, it's just too much of a time sink. I might try to get a single pickup game or two in, though.  If you're going, maybe we could get a pickup game in?

10 DC and chaplain over 2 games killed:

2 deathwatch veterans, 1 intercessor

Autarch (but came back to life), 9 dire avengers, most of a fire prism

5 Ravenwing Black Knights.

They really dont seem to be pulling their weight before they die. They really need that 5+++ back.

Edited by Xenith

Hey buddy I was just thinking about you the other day. Yes, I am definitely going to pax. I don't think I'm going to play in the big 40k tourney this year though. It takes a whole day and when I'm only there for 2 days really, it's just too much of a time sink. I might try to get a single pickup game or two in, though. If you're going, maybe we could get a pickup game in?

I think I'm not going to make it this year I unfortunately. I may be able to go on Sunday, but not looking like it right now. I'll let you know if I end up making it.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a game against a buddies Evil Sunz orks and a Dread Waaaagh detachment last night. I went second, deployed my 15x DCfar back in ruins out LoS. Buddy sent a dakka jet right behind them. I popped Transhuman Physiology and Refusal to Die. The Dakka jet was hitting on 3's at T6 and used Long Uncontrolled Bursts, only killed 2 DC.
In his Charge phase, he was too far to get anything in, so I used Unbridled Ardour to Heroic Intervention the DC into the Dakkajet. They had the Exploding 6's Litanies on them, only equiped with chainsword. They killed the Dakkajet with about 8 wounds extra.
Samething happened when a 30 Boys squad attack them during his turn 2, they only got another 3 DC down and the remaining 10 killed enoough that the rest of the squad failed morale.
By turn 3, there were only 5 DC left, they charged into another large boys squad,  killed 14 and he rolled a 6 on morale and was left with only the Nob.
They were definitely interesting and did a lot of work against the orks. Keeping them alive was pretty expensive and I really did miss the CP later on, but it was probably worth it, as the Dakkajet would have been an issue otherwise.

Was pretty interesting though that during HIS first 2 turns, I killed more of his units during his turn than either of us killed during our turns.

Edited by Djangomatic82

• 2 weeks later...

Squad of 7 with hand flamers and 3 fists jumped up the table, turned a full squad of screening squad of guardsmen to ash, killed a russ tank commander with the Hammer of Sundurance aka target priority 1, tagged a manticore, then soaked most of my opponents shooting before dying.

They died well

12 man unit of DC with 8 bolter/chainswords and 4 thunder hammers absolutely wrecked some Tyranids. We got Front Line Assault Deployment, I set DC up along the far back board edge on my DZ. Luckily, I seized the initiative. Dropped Forlorn Fury, with a big 6 advance roll (and our new +1 to Advance) which set up a great turn 1 charge. Smashed into his lines, and proceeded to buzzsaw through a unit of 12 genestealers, his Broodlord and his Neurothrope. I don't think this Tyranid player was used to having someone up in his grill and obliterating his lines quite like that. As we were playing a 1250 point game, I removed roughly 1/3 of his army and most of his scariest stuff in that single charge.

• 4 weeks later...
TL;DR

5 marine unit of death company (4 hammers, 1 bolter/chainsword) did 36 damage to a knight paladin.

Chaplain smash did 15 damage to Castigator, got stomped into wine and did 14 more, only in death...

**Lame story time**

The captain regretted hearing the news, even though Astorath had just honored him as warlord for the upcoming campaign.  The redeemer did not come to the battle zone for this one task.  The captain, brandishing his newly gifted quake bolts, addressed the marshaling area regarding the upcoming conflict.

Astorath did have more matters to attend to.  The previous warlord, a chaplain who had shown tremendous promise in combat, was taken to Lemartes.  He would not be overseeing the death company unit he had been leading for the battle, he was to deploy onto the planet with the guardian.

After the initial deployment, the captain ordered the contemptor dreadnoughts to fire upon the enemy knight Castigator with devastator doctrines.  Their impact was negligible.  A single word in his comms from Lemartes validated what the captain had known since Astorath's visit.  He took aim and felled the Castigator with this bolt rifle, and watched the former hero approach the knight.  The chaplain's jump pack operating at full capacity and all alone, he only existed in one reality; the warmaster Horus must die for his atrocities.

The entire battlefield seemed to stand still as the chaplain moved with lightning speed and tore the knight down with his power fist.  Metal alloys being violently ripped apart made the nearby bolter fire unnoticeable.  The knight retaliated by using it's giant legs to crush the chaplain.  He could not believe Horus was capable of such feats, the monster must be stopped, so with his dying breaths the power fist went back to work and removed life from Horus.  The battle brothers of the IX roared battle cries and pushed forward; they had witnessed the true power and curse of their kind, a chaplain destroying a Castigator single handed.

The captain ordered down his cataphractii terminator unit to attack an unknown class of knight across the field, now utilizing tactical doctrines.  His quake bolts once again connecting and marking the target for the terminators to unleash the fury of the first upon.  They activated teleporters from the orbiting warship and arrived in the middle of the battlefield.  The terminators' red thirst was at it's height, for Lemartes had appeared and recited a litany of battle which filled them with indescribable hate.  They charged into the knight, power fists connecting with incredible accuracy but failing to destroy the machine.  In response, the knight's incredible size and weight allowed no quarter, destroying all but one member of the mighty terminator unit.

The knight fell back leaving the lone surviving terminator in the middle of the battlefield staring down an Armiger Warglaive, a knight Paladin, and the unknown knight.  The Warglaive opened fire, wounding but not killing the terminator.  The Paladin directed all of it's guns against the survivor, ensuring his story would come to an end.

The time was now.  The death company in orbit had witnessed too much, their rage was intolerable.  The jumpmaster reported to the captain that keeping this unit was a danger to the ship, and they must deploy now.  The captain drew down on the Paladin and felled it with his quake bolts, ordering the remainder of the army to activate assault doctrine.  The death company got the green light and ripped towards the planet with one thing on their mind; destruction of the warmaster Horus, revenge for his murder of their former chaplain commander and the defilement of the terminator.  They crashed upon the planet inside a forest, and in a terrifying display of rage and destruction charged from the forest and decimated the Paladin with their thunder hammers, savage echoes reverberating in their minds.

After the smoke had cleared, the unknown knight turned it's fire on the death company and as quickly as they had arrived and defeated the Paladin they were shot into oblivion.

The captain announced over his comms "rejoice brothers, they now have the emperor's peace" as he prepared to fire his last quake bolt into the unknown knight.

Edited by Kram000

• 2 weeks later...

13 man DC squad with 4 hammers, supported by Lemartes, killed a Squiggoth! Wasn't overly surprising, but man it looked cool on the tabletop. The Squiggoth is a beast of a model, and was excellently painted by my opponent. He said the only other army to kill it in Turn 1 without it doing anything of note was a Knight army that focus fired it down. Exhortation of Rage on Lemartes is awesome at increasing the damage output of a big blob of DC. 

Second week of 750 in my local league, I've been running a DC themed list and at 750 I have 6 in a pod with 2 fists and 8 with packs with 2 fists and 2 swords. Then Lemartes and DC Smash cpt.

3 wins today.

Against Tau: The squad of 8 killed farsight, a breacher squad, and 2 broadsides over the game. Smash got the coldstar. The foot sloggers got left behind but I burned objectives and won.

Against GSC: We killed a russ, rock grinder, 5 hybrids, a magus and a bunch of brood brothers.

Against 1k sons: daemon prince, sorcerer, 2 squads of 5 rubrics. Lemartes took out one squad of rubrics turn one.

Cpt smash didn't do anything spectacular today, but last week against custodes I had him drop in (only other thing I had on the board was a drop pod) and kill 4 of the jump pack guys, next turn killed 3 of the rifle guys, then went back and forth with the last rilfe guy and a shield cpt for 3 or 4 rounds of combat before finally killing them, leaving cpt smash as the last model on the board.